• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Epos ES 14 N - best passive Speaker in SpiNorama.org so far? (7.4/10 with equalisation without subwoofer)

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it does. There is a gasket below the woofer basket and the tweeter has a gasket plus washers on the screw between the plate and the cabinet. We ask dealers to check the torque when they set-up the speakers with or for a customer
I guess this technique was there on your old speakers as well. When I tried to put in the woofers back on older Alr’s when the music was playing (removed the binding connection for mids and tweeters) felt at certain points it sounded very smooth with bass but as I tighten them up more the some resonance started creeping in. I never investigated what happened with it but just left the screws at the point where they sounded the best. May be the glue remains were the problem, but after you said this I am not sure!

DSJR

Major Contributor
So much for my ancient (Linn) indoctrination to tighten the drivers HARD into their mounts :(

I started to learn via the early 70's Spendor ply cabinets which actually perform slightly better if the panels are NOT tightened up hard. My thin-wall damped Harbeth MDF boxes and drivers *are* firmly tight from the factory and when I checked a few years ago, they stayed tight so I put the grilles back on and leave them well alone.

KEF went through a spate of decoupling their bass and bass-mid drivers from the enclosures in the 80's and despite reduction of panel related colorations, the quality of the bass on percussion suffered hugely, this in the days of vinyl so an additive thing too. They soon abandoned this idea as they 'solved' the issues another way it seems.

I've not had a chance to hear the ES14N yet, but my dealer pal has a set and likes them a lot (sickness has prevented us from getting together for a music session and he's seventy miles away too), but I'd ask to make sure the user guide/instructions cover this aspect as you know what tech-uneducated 'audiophile' end users will do if they find the drivers need 'tightening up' :(

DSJR

Major Contributor
P.S. It seems the @Karl-Heinz Fink designed Q Acoustics models, at least from a few years ago, had the tweeters decoupled a little?

OP
totti1965

totti1965

Anyway…. I think it’s Artist Cloner who did everything right with his Air Motion Transformer Tweeter. This Mekanika Speaker from the Montreal Audio show did so many things right, I have dreamed before….
My idea was a Speaker with two Open Dipole Bass Linkwitz Configuration Speakers in a D‘appolito Configuration. And in the Middle a Tweeter which could be direkt (non Dipole).
This Steam Punk Beauty makes the direct Opposite. But very very very interesting.
Seems to be a very direct coupling of the AMT with the Rest of the „Enclosure“…

Whoever produces the best sound is right!!!

Look jays video from 4:36 min on!

thorsten

Top Bottom