• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Yoku-San

Forum Donor
My use is a niche case, but I will explain why USB will benefit me.

I have KEF LS60 wireless speakers but, internally, they do not have room compensation. For room correction I use a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP. I use a miniDSP Streamer kit as digital my I/O for my Raspberry Pi, and use a WiiM for streaming. My setup is:

WiiM --> miniDSP Streamer kit input --> Raspberry Pi --> miniDSP Streamer kit output --> LS60

The issue I run into is that, using the miniDSP Streamer kit as the digital input to the Raspberry Pi, CamillaDSP cannot recognize sample rate changes. E.g., If I set the WiiM to 192k, it works fine as long as Tidal is streaming the music at 192k. But, if the next song that comes up is recorded at 44.1k, Tidal will stream it at that rate, and the music comes out garbled, even if the WiiM still is set to 192k. The only thing that works is leaving the WiiM set to 44.1k.

There is a package, camilladsp-setrate, that will automatically configure CamillaDSP to use the detected sample rate. It does not work with the miniDSP Streamer kit because the miniDSP Streamer kit does not output a sample rate change notification needed by camilladsp-setrate to detect the sample rate change. Using a USB input, though, camilladsp-setrate is supposed to be able to detect the sample rate change. Thus, I am looking forward to outputting from a WiiM directly to the Raspberry Pi via USB, with a setup as follows:

WiiM --> Raspberry Pi --> miniDSP Streamer kit output --> LS60

Supposedly this will work to allow me to to set Tidal to stream at the highest available rate, and have CamillaDSP automatically change the sample rate on music that gets streamed at a lower sample rate.
In your case I would just replace the whole chain in front of the LS60 with the WiiM Ultra.

Can´t you use the Raspberry Pi also as a streamer with Volumio?

gwing

Forum Donor
Yes, but note that the suggested schematic includes an impedance matching resistor, which is completed missing from the generic ebay product. The one you suggest should work though - just not as well as the custom one.

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In your case I would just replace the whole chain in front of the LS60 with the WiiM Ultra.

Can´t you use the Raspberry Pi also as a streamer with Volumio?
The WiiM won't run CamillaDSP (at least as far as I know) or otherwise run convolution using a convolution file. I prefer using convolution over a PEQ.

Volumio is OK, but I much prefer to use WiiM as a streamer.

Joffy1780

Cleaner???

However USB does offer the advantage of an asynchronous connection to the DAC, and often the ability to handle higher bit rates should you also regard that as good.
Yes, certain 'audiophiles' there regard anything other than an asynchronous connection 'dirty'.

Yoku-San

Forum Donor
The WiiM won't run CamillaDSP (at least as far as I know) or otherwise run convolution using a convolution file. I prefer using convolution over a PEQ.

Volumio is OK, but I much prefer to use WiiM as a streamer.
Well, I don't understand why the WiiM PEQ is not good enough for you. Otherwise you could replace the whole setup with just one device. I would prefer that.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Well, I don't understand why the WiiM PEQ is not good enough for you.
My WiiM Pro Plus only has 4 PEQ settings (maybe they will offer more at some point). Also, it looks like the EQ settings apply to both channels simultaneously. I prefer to EQ each channel separately due to the non-symmetrical placement of my speakers in the room - their in-room frequency response measurements are not the same.

I am able to EQ my speakers to be much closer to my target response curve, at my listening position, using two convolution files - one generated for each channel. Also, my convolution files provide correction over the entire audio frequency range 20 Hz - 20 kHz.

Otherwise you could replace the whole setup with just one device.
I already have the Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP. I have no other use for it. So, eliminating it doesn't really do anything for me.

Joffy1780

My WiiM Pro Plus only has 4 PEQ settings (maybe they will offer more at some point). Also, it looks like the EQ settings apply to both channels simultaneously. I prefer to EQ each channel separately due to the non-symmetrical placement of my speakers in the room - their in-room frequency response measurements are not the same.

I am able to EQ my speakers to be much closer to my target response curve, at my listening position, using two convolution files - one generated for each channel. Also, my convolution files provide correction over the entire audio frequency range 2 were0 Hz - 20 kHz.

I already have the Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP. I have no other use for it. So, eliminating it doesn't really do anything for me.
Wiim are beta testing 10 band PEQ at the moment and have said they will update firmware soon after the public release to allow EQ for each channel.

Yoku-San

Forum Donor
From WiiM forum:

"here are the specifications of our Room Correction feature:

1. Filter Type: 10-band Parametric EQ
2. Frequency Range: 50Hz to 10kHz
3. Gain Range: -12db to +12db
4. Q Range: 0.1 to 20.0"

Emlin

From WiiM forum:

"here are the specifications of our Room Correction feature:

1. Filter Type: 10-band Parametric EQ
2. Frequency Range: 50Hz to 10kHz
3. Gain Range: -12db to +12db
4. Q Range: 0.1 to 20.0"
Only down to 50Hz?

Joffy1780

Graham849

Forum Donor

Grotti

Forum Donor

audioje

I need a good room correction option for stereo.
For now, their app RC has been not the best. However, with upcoming each channel 10 bands peq update, one can always use rew with a measurement mic. It will be the best budget option for RC (other than Mini, all other wiim models will get it)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I just hope for something more of a YPAO, I understand YPAO does more than freq. correction, except bass management.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I just hope for something more of a YPAO, I understand YPAO does more than freq. correction, except bass management.
YPAO only corrects frequency response and sets delays for surround sound systems.

If you want more, then "YPAO R.S.C." is required.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wow, 2 products were announced at once!

Pricing & Availability: The WiiM Ultra and the WiiM Amp Pro will be available for purchase in Q3. Both products will be sold through Amazon and select retail partners The WiiM Ultra is priced at $329 while the WiiM Amp Pro sells for $369.

Top Bottom