• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

MKR

Major Contributor
It would seem at least the initial features of the upcoming WiiM Ultra have been disclosed … Sadly absent (at least for now) is AES dig out and full balanced outs.

Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-33896

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input

staticV3

Master Contributor
Khadas' Balanced RCA might actually be a good fit for the WiiM Ultra if they're shying away from balanced output due to size constraints.
Three RCA jacks would give them Sub out + Bal/Unbal Line out.

If anyone's active on their forum and would be willing to suggest it, I'd love to hear what WiiM think :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Khadas' Balanced RCA might actually be a good fit for the WiiM Ultra if they're shying away from balanced output due to size constraints.

If anyone's active on their forum and would be willing to suggest it, I'd love to hear what WiiM think :)
Interesting, never heard of this before. You can always join the WiiM forum yourself and make the suggestion ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor

Mini XLR could fit too,it's about the same diameter as RCA.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It would seem at least the initial features of the upcoming WiiM Ultra have been disclosed … Sadly absent (at least for now) is AES dig out and full balanced outs.

Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-33896

- USB out
- USB media server
- Sub out
- HDMI ARC
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio
- A display
- Integrated power supply
- Phono input
Good grief we only asked for one thing!
Best,
Keith

Kervel

Forum Donor

A few posts below on that forum, Wiimsupport says:
"Similar to the WiiM Amp, the USB port serves as a USB out or media server with the new firmware. Additionally, you can connect multiple USB DACs using a hub."
So you can use the RCA outs for 2 subs, and connect a balanced dac to mains.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A few posts below on that forum, Wiimsupport says:
"Similar to the WiiM Amp, the USB port serves as a USB out or media server with the new firmware. Additionally, you can connect multiple USB DACs using a hub."
not a good idea AFAIK as the two DACs' clocks will inevitably drift apart over time.

MCH

Major Contributor
, you can connect multiple USB DACs using a hub."
Looking forward to that firmware. If they do it well with all DACs synced and multichannel is indeed possible + EQ this could be great news. In the meantime I personally am a bit skeptic, too many ifs.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Don’t they already all have EQ the pro plus does.
Keith

Matt_Holland

- A display
- Phono input
Just a very simple display please. No high res one for album art etc.

Phono input is a nice idea, mostly because it broadens the appeal of the product. Maybe this could be switchable between phono and line level.

They’re being coy about balanced outputs and number of sub outs. It seems like there is an opportunity to take some business from the Mini-DSP Flex if they implement bass management and EQ well enough.

I’ll add this in the Wiim forum at some point.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB out - what for? Is it better than optical to DAC?
They claim you can connect a USB DAC or even multiple via a hub, and even use it as subwoofer output… all this is quite complex to get working correctly. So far they also haven’t managed to add a more detailed PEQ either…

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
USB out - what for? Is it better than optical to DAC?
I doubt USB out will measure better than optical to DAC - we shall see

I hope to connect the USB output of the WiiM Ultra to a USB jack on a Mac mini which has Dirac Live enabled. I hope to apply Dirac Live to sources connected to the WiiM Ultra.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope to connect the USB output of the WiiM Ultra to a USB jack on a Mac mini which has Dirac Live enabled
You’ll need your Mac to work as a USB soundcard. That’s not standard functionality and so far haven’t seen anything that would do this, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist ;)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They claim you can connect a USB DAC or even multiple via a hub, and even use it as subwoofer output… all this is quite complex to get working correctly. So far they also haven’t managed to add a more detailed PEQ either…
You seem to be obsessed with the fact they haven't yet updated the PEQ. They are releasing it Q1 and have said so a few times.

Top Bottom