• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Esprit

Forum Donor
It's the chip (Premium 32-bit/384kHz ES9038 Q2M SABRE DAC) that can be limited to handle higher frequencies, but USB isn't dependent on the chip.
The chip takes care of converting the signal from digital to analog.
Even stating that all outputs, digital and analog, work up to 24/192k is "confusing".
An analog signal no longer has anything to do with "24/192".
We are waiting for some reviews. :)

tjf

It's the chip (Premium 32-bit/384kHz ES9038 Q2M SABRE DAC) that can be limited to handle higher frequencies, but USB isn't dependent on the chip.
The chip takes care of converting the signal from digital to analog.
Even stating that all outputs, digital and analog, work up to 24/192k is "confusing".
An analog signal no longer has anything to do with "24/192".
We are waiting for some reviews. :)
Ok, I think we're not communicating - I'll say this one last time:

IF the internal audio Processor cannot decode bit rates and sample rates beyond 24/192 -- it DOES NOT MATTER that the internal ESS 9038 DAC can decode higher rates and IT DOES NOT MATTER that the USB digital audio output is capable of higher rate outputs -- IF the internal Processor and it's software (usually some version of Linux) cannot supply higher sample/bit rates than 24/192

Maybe you need to hear this from a more experienced poster - I'll stop here -- and if I'm wrong I'll be happy to be informed why my assumption is incorrect...

Esprit

Forum Donor
We do not understand each other.
Peace.
Good evening.
:)

Yoku-San

Forum Donor

Highlights
  • Premium 32-bit/384kHz ES9038 Q2M SABRE DAC, and high fidelity headphone amplifier TPA6120A2
  • Latest Wi-Fi 6E and BT 5.3 with two antennas offering rock-solid Bluetooth or Wi-Fi audio streaming
  • Elegant aluminum case with 3.5” vibrant touchscreen display covered with glass
  • Built-in room correction takes precise acoustic measurements of your room, creating customized corrections for your speaker and subwoofer.
  • Stream Hi-Res music with the bit-perfect digital output or high-fidelity analog audio (SNR>120dB, THD+N<0.00018%)
  • Versatile streaming options including Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast Audio (CastLite), Alexa built-in, DLNA, Roon, and Squeezelite.
  • Gapless playback of Hi-Res music up to 24-bit/192 kHz using USB, SPDIF, Coax, Line, and Headphone output.
Tech Specs
  • Audio input
    • Bring your TV audio, recorder player, CD player, or another audio source into the digital world via either analog (RCA, Phono) or digital (Optical, HDMI ARC) port, up to 24-bit/192 kHz
  • Audio output
    • Through either analog (RCA, Headphone) or digital (Coax, Optical, USB) for connecting an amplifier or speaker
    • Wireless to another BT, AirPlay or DLNA receiver
    • Up to 192 kHz/ 24-bit, varying sample rate, and bit depth based on the audio source without resampling via Line out, Headphone, USB Coax, and Optical SPDIF
    • Line out
      • Maximum output: 2.1V RMS
      • SNR: 121 dB (A-wt)
      • THD+N (1 kHz): 0.00018% (-115 dB) for 44.1k to 192k
      • FR curve: +/- 0.05 dB
  • EQ
    • Tailor your audio experience with versatile and independent EQ settings for each input source – HDMI, Optical, Line, Phono, BT, or Network.
    • Access a robust suite of sound customization options, including 24 preset EQ settings, a 10-band graphic EQ, and an 10-band parametric EQ for precise sound adjustments.
  • Subwoofer output
    • Comprehensive bass management.
    • Adjustable crossover frequency, level, phase, and latency.
  • 12 V Trigger
    • Automatically turns on your stereo receiver or amplifir
  • Connectivity and power
    • 100-240V AC input.
    • Wi-Fi 6E, 802.11 b/g/n/ax 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz triple bands.
    • Bluetooth 5.3 with BLE and BT LE Audio, supports both A2DP receiver and transmitter, AVRCP, HID, works with the WiiM voice remote.
    • Ethernet, 10M/100 Mbps.
  • USB Host for Storage – Access personal media library and use it as a media server for other WiiM and DLNA devices
  • Glass-covered 3.5” vibrant touchscreen display:
    • Displays App widgets, large album pictures, playback control, playing queue, presets, EQ, audio input and output, and device settings
    • Guides users through the Out-of-Box Experience and firmware updates
    • Provides feedback when there’s a change in the play mode
    • Allows users to customize the wallpaper and display the time and date during standby mode
  • Physical
    • Dimensions: 8.1 x 8.1 x 2.9 inches (205 x 205 x 73 mm)
    • Weight: 2.9 pounds (1.3 kg)
    • LED: 4 Color RGBW LED indicates the device status
    • LCD touch screen: 3.5”
    • Volume knob: Adjust volume and play/pause button with glass cover.
  • The WiiM Ultra will be available for $329 in the US on Amazon and select retail partners in Q3 and rolled out internationally by Q3.
Shut up and take my money. That feature set is freakin amazing for $330 and everything I need.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone knows the HP power of the "high fidelity headphone amplifier TPA6120A2" in like 32 ohms and 300 ohms?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone knows the HP power of the "high fidelity headphone amplifier TPA6120A2" in like 32 ohms and 300 ohms?
Here's everything that we know about the Ultra:

tjf

We do not understand each other.
Peace.
Good evening.
:)

Ok, NP - I'll say this just to close out my idea...

An "audio Streamer" operates in this fashion:

A Network input (via a NIC - Network Interface Card using Ethernet or WiFi from your ISP) sends the streaming service network signal from your internet connection (Modem/Router) to the streamer's "Processor" or computer - this is usually a small SOC device ("system-on-chip" - the computing processor, the OS or software, and some memory - similar to the main processor in your PC/Mac, but much smaller and less powerful as audio doesn't need much processing speed or memory horsepower).

After the Network interface, the SOC Processor decodes the data that your streaming service sent (usually in a "FLAC container" for lossless 16bit and 24 bit content) and then coverts/"opens" that FLAC container to extract the native PCM audio content, for all "HiRes" streaming services (Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz - for Wiim streamers) -- the streaming services content is always limited to 24/192 MAX

This PCM audio data is output from the SOC processor as "I2S" PCM audio (always limited to 24/192 MAX rate) - which carries the L/R channels of audio PCM data + clock signals - and then this I2S PCM audio+clock signal is sent to the Wiim DSP engine for PEQ and Bass management, then DAC stage (ESS9038 for main L/R analog output, and an as yet unknown DAC for the Subwoofer output) and then to the analog audio buffer sections for impedance and voltage gain adjustments to send to your amplifiers/subwoofers.

The USB and SPDIF (Toslink+Coax) Digital outputs go from the I2S output of the SOC processor thru interface devices (likely an XMOS USB interface for the USB Digital audio output and a SPDIF "Transceiver" device for the Toslink & Coax outputs).

Since the internal SOC audio and DSP Processing/software that Wiim uses is limited to 24/192 as a MAXIMUM DATA RATE (as NONE of the streaming services offer higher rates than 24/192), Wiim has limited ALL it's various analog and digital outputs to 24/192 MAX sample/bit rates -- even though the ESS 9038 DAC and the XMOS USB interface can decode/send higher rates than 24/192.

Now, I hear some of your ask about playing files via DLNA/Squeezlite, etc. -- as these files can certainly be at higher rates than 24/192 -- my assumption here is that Wiim's SOC processor will resample these to 24/192, as that is the max rate the Wiim processor and it's various DSP and audio interfaces are set to work with.

I invite informed corrections or additional details to any of my comments above....

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's everything that we know about the Ultra:
Here they state the HP chip.

TI TPA6120A2 data sheet below.

Answering myself, reading Figure 6, if they implemented the chip with full 15VDC, it is 600 mW into 32 ohms, 1kHz 1% (-40dB) THD+N.

Last edited:

Pritaudio

Here they state the HP chip.

TI TPA6120A2 data sheet below.

Answering myself, reading Figure 6, if they implemented the chip with full 15VDC, it it 600 mW into 32 ohms, 1kHz 1% (-40dB) THD+N.
what about implementation. so not great sinad possible. also the interference from other parts/electronics in the box.

Noob101

Forum Donor
Interesting that they announce it in Munich only to tell Europeans at the event, that it will only be available in the US initially. Makes a lot of sense to announce it first for those at the end of the queue :p

Congrats to them for what seemingly looks like an incredible product regardless.

Noob101

Forum Donor
"The WiiM Ultra will be available for $329 in the US on Amazon and select retail partners and rolled out internationally by Q3." (https://www.blog.wiimhome.com/post/unveiling-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music)

I think this means it will be available everywhere at the same time, no?
I am not sure. If its everywhere at the same time why not say that?

It's a little ambiguous to me... no actual release date for the US (its soon some time, maybe tomorrow, maybe June?) and rolled out internationally by Q3 suggests end of September latest. I am probably wrong thinking it will still take a while beyond that,... but not giving a clear(er) date, makes me skeptical of believing things are going to be timely.

Happy to be proven wrong of course... I hope your right :)

I loved the idea of trying to order one this Saturday in Munich (going in person to have a look) but am getting comfortable with the idea of buying a node instead.

Last edited:

lennyanders

I loved the idea of trying to order one this Saturday in Munich (going in person to have a look) but am getting comfortable with the idea of buying a node instead.
I am actually waiting for this to replace my node with it. Of course I can't yet say if the WiiM will really be better, but I suspect so. Worst thing about the Node for me is that it disconnects from internet from time to time and I have to unplug it. otherwise I'm not super happy with the software, but it works. Shouldn't be a problem if you use ethernet.

Dreamslayer

Not sure how powerful it is, but it seems to be an updated version of the the TPA6120A chip used in the Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifiers (gen 1 and 2)

I use a separate Headphone Amp, but I've used the built in one and it sounded great. I wouldn't say I'm a big headphones person though.

gwing

Forum Donor
Any chance the hdmi output might let us display the album art etc. on a TV?

lennyanders

There's no HDMI output on the WiiM Ultra. Only an ARC input.
I'm pretty sure HDMI Arc is alway bidirectional. So the WiiM Ultra could send an image, but it will likely just be nothing/black like with the node, probably the WiiM Amp and most other soundbars/etc..

Noob101

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure HDMI Arc is alway bidirectional. So the WiiM Ultra could send an image, but it will likely just be nothing/black like with the node, probably the WiiM Amp and most other soundbars/etc..
I still have not understood why so many streamers dont enable users to use the TV (and its remote) as the user interface via eARC.

@lennyanders On the Node, does one not install a BlueOS app on the TV (one sees the Album covers etc.) and it remotely controls the Nodes playback via the network rather than via HDMI?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ARC is not bidirectional - it is specifically a return channel, from the TV to the audio device.

Sure most VIDEO related devices can output video also TO the TV. Audio devices, not so much.

Top Bottom