• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

OldManMatt

I purchased one of these WiiM's about a month ago. I am fairly new to streaming but previously was using a Cambridge CXN2, which is a nice unit, it did give me issues with freezing up from time to time and I didn't totally like the tone of the music compared to other sources I had, just a preference thing. So I actually started using the Cambridge with an external dac, which when using it this way made the price of the unit unjustifiable for me. After seeing Amir's review of the toslink out I figured I'd give it a try, for the price I knew I'd find a place for it somewhere around the house. After setting it up with my Quboz,Tidal, and Amazon UHD services on the WiiM's home up I couldn't tell a difference in SQ vs the Cambridge. The WiiM gave me no issues and I found the app to be manageable. So I got rid of the Cambridge. When using the WiiM Home app everything mostly sounds great, but very rarely on some tracks I feel I hear a little distortion from the upper frequencies, but maybe it's the other gear or in my head. My question is about digital signals. Can a product like the WiiM send a perfect digital signal? I have never listened to a 2,3,4 or $5k streamer so I don't know if I'm missing something. I hear words like better Crystals being thrown around but don't know what that means or equates to. When I think back to the Cambridge vs WiiM comparison I personally could hear no difference between toslink output..but would a better engineered streamer send a better signal? I had seen a question like this asked to a WiiM reviewer but the gentleman just went into great lengths about how other streamers soundstaged and imaged better. Hope this wasn't too stupid of a question but streaming is kinda new to me, all I know is the quality is much better than BT, on par or better than CD's. For family streaming I use the WiiM>RME ADI-2>Elac Alchemy DPA-2>PolkR200/SVS2000pro

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Can a product like the WiiM send a perfect digital signal?

For family streaming I use the WiiM>RME ADI-2>Elac Alchemy DPA-2>PolkR200/SVS2000pro
Yes, it is bit-perfect via the optical port up to 24/192. You can test it yourself - RME provides test files that you can play, and the RME will display that the signal is bit-perfect. I've posted this somewhere in this very long thread a month or more ago.

Edit: Oops, was posted in the other WiiM Mini thread:

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does it show kbps?
Yes, but I’m still on the 243 beta and the figure is incorrect - I’m hoping for new beta very soon. Maybe others on the latest general release can comment on whether the kbps is being reported correctly for them.

OldManMatt

Yes, it is bit-perfect via the optical port up to 24/192. You can test it yourself - RME provides test files that you can play, and the RME will display that the signal is bit-perfect. I've posted this somewhere in this very long thread a month or more ago.

Edit: Oops, was posted in the other WiiM Mini thread:
Thank you. This puck has to be one of the best values in music right now

OldManMatt

Yes, but I’m still on the 243 beta and the figure is incorrect - I’m hoping for new beta very soon. Maybe others on the latest general release can comment on whether the kbps is being reported correctly for them.
It does show the different kbps for each track on the WiiM Home app.

Turambar

I have checked in Qobuz that the bitrate of each track is exactly the same using WiiM Mini, and USB Audio Player Pro. It's.

mhecimovic

098B116A-FC60-44D5-9A05-4120D05B0235.jpeg
New feature on the way…

thomasward00

I purchased one of these WiiM's about a month ago. I am fairly new to streaming but previously was using a Cambridge CXN2, which is a nice unit, it did give me issues with freezing up from time to time and I didn't totally like the tone of the music compared to other sources I had, just a preference thing. So I actually started using the Cambridge with an external dac, which when using it this way made the price of the unit unjustifiable for me. After seeing Amir's review of the toslink out I figured I'd give it a try, for the price I knew I'd find a place for it somewhere around the house. After setting it up with my Quboz,Tidal, and Amazon UHD services on the WiiM's home up I couldn't tell a difference in SQ vs the Cambridge. The WiiM gave me no issues and I found the app to be manageable. So I got rid of the Cambridge. When using the WiiM Home app everything mostly sounds great, but very rarely on some tracks I feel I hear a little distortion from the upper frequencies, but maybe it's the other gear or in my head. My question is about digital signals. Can a product like the WiiM send a perfect digital signal? I have never listened to a 2,3,4 or $5k streamer so I don't know if I'm missing something. I hear words like better Crystals being thrown around but don't know what that means or equates to. When I think back to the Cambridge vs WiiM comparison I personally could hear no difference between toslink output..but would a better engineered streamer send a better signal? I had seen a question like this asked to a WiiM reviewer but the gentleman just went into great lengths about how other streamers soundstaged and imaged better. Hope this wasn't too stupid of a question but streaming is kinda new to me, all I know is the quality is much better than BT, on par or better than CD's. For family streaming I use the WiiM>RME ADI-2>Elac Alchemy DPA-2>PolkR200/SVS2000pro
I would say that about 75% of Audio Gear is snake oil, there is certainly good enough.... for instance...

I did a comparison this past weekend with my bedroom system.

Arcam SA10 with internal ESS DAC, Wharfedale Denton 80, ML Dynamo 400 Sub.

I compared the Wiim mini with optical into my Amp to my friends Bluesound Node with Denafrips Aries 2 DAC.

All testing with Amazon HD, with my setup, both myself and wife detected ZERO difference in sound quality. There is a point with Hifi where diminishing returns kicks in and in todays world... that point is VERY low.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Some good updates scheduled this month

Includes MQA 1st unfold (if you care about such) with Tidal Connect

And gapless Amazon Music UHD - starting with inside the WiiM Home app, the first step before tackling casting gapless

I'm really impressed with Tidal Connect gapless at the moment with WiiM Mini.

1659436900002.png

telemike

I will try this tonight...

Now we have released the new beta firmware version(4.6.424953) for Amazon Music HD/UHD Testing that you can use Amazon Music HD/UHD with Amazon Music Cast and WiiM Home app, your device will be upgraded automatically.

After the device is upgraded successfully, please re-sign in Alexa on WiiM Home app.

Release notes:
1. Fixed - The vTuner and TuneIn radio can't play successfully.
2. Improvement - Support Gapless playback for Amazon Music HD/UHD with WiiM Home app.
3. Improvement - Replace the beta Amazon configuration with the official one.

Best,
WiiM Support

Brantome

Major Contributor
I will try this tonight...

Now we have released the new beta firmware version(4.6.424953) for Amazon Music HD/UHD Testing that you can use Amazon Music HD/UHD with Amazon Music Cast and WiiM Home app, your device will be upgraded automatically.

After the device is upgraded successfully, please re-sign in Alexa on WiiM Home app.

Release notes:
1. Fixed - The vTuner and TuneIn radio can't play successfully.
2. Improvement - Support Gapless playback for Amazon Music HD/UHD with WiiM Home app.
3. Improvement - Replace the beta Amazon configuration with the official one.

Best,
WiiM Support
Yeah, just got that too :)

Update: from my very quick test of gapless using the Love album by the Beatles - it's decidedly not, missing the last 5 secs of the track, followed by silence before starting the next track. I admit I was skipping ahead to about 30sec before the end of the track, so maybe that interfered with its fetching/buffering. Ticket submitted.
I'll try it later more patiently (and also check I don't have shuffle mode on by default ;) ).

Last edited:

fquails

I Don't remember if "hifi" tag was ever shown but the android version of wiim app, actually shows the bitrate of Tidal streams and I confirm they are 800 to 1000 kbps. I have hifi subscription and generally use tida connect from Tidal app. In this case no bitrate shown but "hifi" tag on Tid
New version of WiiM app on ios
View attachment 221685
How do you adjust the positions of bitrate and quality elements on the Now Playing screen? Tried it, but can’t when playing Tidal Connect.

Merifon

How do you adjust the positions of bitrate and quality elements on the Now Playing screen? Tried it, but can’t when playing Tidal Connect.
I probably didn't understand the question. When I play stream through wimm from Tidal app, I can set quality in Tidal preference. Using the wiim app just to display what is currently on play started from Tidal, there is no indication of quality, bitrate nor plying queue. All those info are shown in fixed position on wiim app, when music is started from that only

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yeah, just got that too :)

Update: from my very quick test of gapless using the Love album by the Beatles - it's decidedly not, missing the last 5 secs of the track, followed by silence before starting the next track. I admit I was skipping ahead to about 30sec before the end of the track, so maybe that interfered with its fetching/buffering. Ticket submitted.
I'll try it later more patiently (and also check I don't have shuffle mode on by default ;) ).
I found the same - gapless not working with x953 firmware.

Ticket also raised :D

Top Bottom