• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical Splitter vs Optical to Coax converter?

Ambar

I want to connect the optical out from my TV and optical out from by WiiM Mini to Topping E50 DAC.
But Topping E50 has only 1 optical input but does have a 1 coaxial input.

Which option here will be less lossy?

Option 1: Insert a 3 way optical splitter (3 input 1 output, something like this), connect the output from TV and WiiM mini to it and connect the output from this splitter to the DAC.
Option 2: Insert a optical to coaxial adapter (something like this), connect the output from TV to this adapter and run a coax cable from adapter to the DAC. (WiiM mini will directly connect to the DAC via optical cable.)

Are there any other options I have that will not compromise on audio quality?

Thank you!

RandomEar

It looks like both options keep the audio 100% in the digital domain and should therefore be lossless, assuming that the manufacturers didn't fuck up the implementation. The bad news is that you or somebody else would have to check/measure the implementation to be absolutely sure. But I honestly wouldn't worry too much: As long as you have no audio dropouts when using them, they should be fine.

I'd suggest using option 2, as that will allow you to change inputs on the E50.

EDIT: Another option would be an HDMI to coax converter, assuming you have a surplus HDMI output on your TV. Not sure if that is better or worse than option 2. The audio quality should be identical (again, everything stays digital), but the compatibility of these devices is always a bit of a gamble.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ambar

It looks like both options keep the audio 100% in the digital domain and should therefore be lossless, assuming that the manufacturers didn't fuck up the implementation. The bad news is that you or somebody else would have to check/measure the implementation to be absolutely sure. But I honestly wouldn't worry too much: As long as you have no audio dropouts when using them, they should be fine.

I'd suggest using option 2, as that will allow you to change inputs on the E50.

EDIT: Another option would be an HDMI to coax converter, assuming you have a surplus HDMI output on your TV. Not sure if that is better or worse than option 2. The audio quality should be identical (again, everything stays digital), but the compatibility of these devices is always a bit of a gamble.
Thank you, this helps.

Top Bottom