• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

simbun

^^^ I'll take LMS with the Material Skin over those for playing local files to the WiiM Mini.
That's a bit like comparing apples to oranges really. If I was going with a full screen client I'd have to go with foobar as there are a load of beautiful skins for that.

I had thought the mobile version of that skin wouldn't look that good, but I'd say that whilst it's 95% the same as BubbleUPnP there are a few formatting tweaks I prefer - but I suppose some of that is just down to using HTML (and maybe because it only targets a single backend).

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry, don't use Atmos. I'm a stereo man (even a mono man, for old recordings, but never multichannel). :)

Except when the recording is multichannel? :)

For me the main benefit of a format like SACD is the multichannel part and that really sounds so much better than stereo when well done. Music in stereo format I play as stereo as I personally don't find the upmixing in my 5.2 setup to sound that good.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sorry, don't use Atmos. I'm a stereo man (even a mono man, for old recordings, but never multichannel). :)
Well the point I was making is it looks like there is no choice to select :)

And if you look around the Tidal app, there is a tonne of Atmos. And growing fast.

Hence why I asked you to test that track and see if you could play non-Atmos

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've just tested Tidal Connect with Volumio OS.

And for the Atmos releases, it will use MQA/HiFi version of the track.

So seems to be an issue with WiiM Mini's Tidal Connect implementation

Turambar

Except when the recording is multichannel? :)

For me the main benefit of a format like SACD is the multichannel part and that really sounds so much better than stereo when well done. Music in stereo format I play as stereo as I personally don't find the upmixing in my 5.2 setup to sound that good.
Not interested at all in multichannel recordings. ;)

Reactions: ENG

Turambar

Well the point I was making is it looks like there is no choice to select :)

And if you look around the Tidal app, there is a tonne of Atmos. And growing fast.

Hence why I asked you to test that track and see if you could play non-Atmos
Not sure if I understand your purpose here, hope is what I describe below.

I have searched in Tidal for "Surface" by Olafur Arnalds,.

I can choose either the Master version, or the HiFi version or the ATMOS version.

In the three cases, I can use Tidal Connect to the Wiim Mini, and it does, but the ATMOS one is not working, it's waiting for ever to start reproducing.

When I do the same thing with Tidal Connect and a Bluesound Node 2i, Master and Hifi work the same than for Wiim. However, the ATMOS version is changed automatically to Hifi, and then works as such.

Trell

Major Contributor
Not sure if I understand your purpose here, hope is what I describe below.

I can choose either the Master version, or the HiFi version or the ATMOS version.

In the three cases, I can use Tidal Connect to the Wiim Mini, and it does, but the ATMOS one is not working, it's waiting for ever to start reproducing.

When I do the same thing with Tidal Connect and a Bluesound Node 2i, Master and Hifi work the same than for Wiim. However, the ATMOS version is changed automatically to Hifi, and then works as such.

Why would you care that Atmos is not working for you in your stereo setup as long as you get the correct stereo stream? Assuming you don't mean Atmos mono to stereo upmixing.

Turambar

Why would you care that Atmos is not working for you in your stereo setup as long as you get the correct stereo stream? Assuming you don't mean Atmos mono to stereo upmixing.
I don't care at all. :)

I was trying to perform a test for member Music1969, if my understanding of his post is correct.

fquails

Hhmm…the “HiFi” label doesn’t show anymore on the Wiim Home app when playing Tidal via Tidal Connect. Is that an app glitch, or the music is downgraded to lower quality?

Attachments

• 6B2EE28A-D014-45F4-A610-B1FD81FE2C3D.png
    6B2EE28A-D014-45F4-A610-B1FD81FE2C3D.png
    952.2 KB · Views: 46

Music1969

Major Contributor
Correct. This is a WiiM Mini bug with Tidal Connect, as I mentioned above, with Atmos.

In cases where you cannot choose format/quality options, if there is Atmos, it won't work with Tidal Connect.

There is Atmos everywhere now and growing massively every week.

Music1969

Major Contributor

And in this case you seen the multiple versions because you manually searched for the album name.

But a more common way to browse, say you go to his album page in Tidal app. And just play the album they show you. It is the Atmos one.

But anyway its a WiiM Mini bug with their Tidal Connect implementation

Trell

Major Contributor
Correct. This is a WiiM Mini bug with Tidal Connect, as I mentioned above, with Atmos.

In cases where you cannot choose format/quality options, if there is Atmos, it won't work with Tidal Connect.

There is Atmos everywhere now and growing massively every week.

The poster says he has a stereo setup so what is your point?

Merifon

or the music is downgraded to lower quality
I Don't remember if "hifi" tag was ever shown but the android version of wiim app, actually shows the bitrate of Tidal streams and I confirm they are 800 to 1000 kbps. I have hifi subscription and generally use tida connect from Tidal app. In this case no bitrate shown but "hifi" tag on Tidal...

Trell

Major Contributor
I don't think you are following what is happening. So don't worry about it

I see that you edited your post, which I think is a good thing, so I will ignore what I read.

You still have not explained what does Atmos bring to a stereo setup.

Please explain or otherwise show what I "missed".

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I Don't remember if "hifi" tag was ever shown but the android version of wiim app, actually shows the bitrate of Tidal streams and I confirm they are 800 to 1000 kbps. I have hifi subscription and generally use tida connect from Tidal app. In this case no bitrate shown but "hifi" tag on Tidal...
Yeah, I rarely use Tidal Connect, so don’t remember for sure, but song:quality=2 in the xml when the HiFi “light” is on in the Tidal app, it’s LOSSLESS FLAC. WiiM should use that attribute, but appear to ignore it. I use either attribute in my Pi app, so it does display HiFi.

072A296F-2CE6-42D5-AFA5-9AF9130B888B.jpeg

Top Bottom