• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Globuli

Hi,

I bought a WiiM Mini Streamer for 99EUR.
Connected by optical TOSLINK to an optical splitter. One output of the splitter goes into a Topping E30 DAC and then to a headphone amp. The other output of the splitter goes into an optical input of my AV receiver.

There has been a firmware update a few days ago with the new features:
- bitperfect TOSLINK output. So the sampling rate/depth is identical to the source. Up to 192kHz 24Bit
- switch for fixed volume, so no influence from the streamer (no DSP processing etc)

I am using it with Amazon Music and Spotify.
From my understanding the optical out should now send the original music signal to the DAC without having any influence on the music quality.

Is there any chance that a (very much) more expensive streamer can have any advantage in audio quality? Or only snakeoil?
Just speaking about digital out, not the DAC inside the streamer.

Cheers
Mario

Jpdelaney.tml

I hope for 24/192 from 4stream Amazon Music App and not only using secondary device through its usb connection. I read that its own Amazon Music app maxes out at 16/48 as before through the optical.

ClassicGuy

Hi,

Connected by optical TOSLINK to an optical splitter. One output of the splitter goes into a Topping E30 DAC and then to a headphone amp. The other output of the splitter goes into an optical input of my AV receiver.

- bitperfect TOSLINK output. So the sampling rate/depth is identical to the source. Up to 192kHz 24Bit
- switch for fixed volume, so no influence from the streamer (no DSP processing etc)

From my understanding the optical out should now send the original music signal to the DAC without having any influence on the music quality.

Is there any chance that a (very much) more expensive streamer can have any advantage in audio quality? Or only snakeoil?

Cheers
Mario

It all depends on how "lossless" and "bit-perfect" Wiim Mini really is. I am still skeptical until the device is tested properly.

jmtocali

With Qobuz and my Plex server works great. Gapless and my receiver is showing the original bitrate for every file/stream. And no clicks when changing frequencies. Excellent transport.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
It all depends on how "lossless" and "bit-perfect" Wiim Mini really is. I am still skeptical until the device is tested properly.
Yes. All of LinkPlay's previous devices have measured poorly (by @amirm). This one uses a newer LinkPlay module than those devices (Songbird, KEiiD, Audioengine, many others), which, hopefully, provides cleaner output, particularly via the optical out. Someone send one to @amirm to test...

ClassicGuy

Yes. All of LinkPlay's previous devices have measured poorly (by @amirm). This one uses a newer LinkPlay module than those devices (Songbird, KEiiD, Audioengine, many others), which, hopefully, provides cleaner output, particularly via the optical out. Someone send one to @amirm to test...
As you said, hopefully this device performs better than prior versions.

My main concerns stem from:
  • Arylic seems to be selling this device as well, and I wonder how its sound quality compares to Arylic S10. I have Arylic S10, and while it's a very versatile device, and sounds decent, it definitely trails the Apple dongle in sound quality.
  • Wiim Mini seems to be based on Android, and the optical output was resampled to 48khz just like an Android device would do. Does the new 192khz fix fundamentally solves the resampling issue, or is it just a facade?
Hopefully amir tests it some time.

dearchap

Amir has one on his front porch(or garage door). He's going to be reviewing it any day !!!!

dearchap

Yep I’m waiting for the review myself. The device is very impressive it does all that Sonos devices can(in terms of streaming) and has optical out to boot. This is what Sonos should have done in the first place. Develop a small “Sonos” core with audio streaming and Wi-Fi network extension which could be then be licensed to other manufacturers . That would have helped the DIY community plenty. Sonos speakers are good but they need to realize that they are not a speaker company or a DAC company .

crowdypooster

Per the website, the update to allow for 192/24 output was made available this week! Has anyone tried it?

That probably seals the deal for me. Tidal Connect endpoint, optical out, 192/24. Unless it tests out poorly.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been using the device for awhile. No issues with sound quality but a couple of real usability issues with the Home app: there is no way to queue multiple Qobuz albums unless you go to the trouble of creating a playlist in advance of the listening session. Even worse, DLNA file playback requires you queue one track at a time. Notwithstanding, it's become my go-to for Qobuz playback as at least the gapless playback works more reliably than Audirvana for me

crowdypooster

I just received my Wiim streamer, and it is a nice little unit. Easy to set up. I am using optical out to Schiit Modi.

It seems that even with the 192/24 update, Tidal Connect is still limited to Hifi quality settings. Does this imply that 44.1/16 is the best it will see from Tidal Connect? I have used Tidal Connect via RPi with Volumio, and it seemed to handle higher-res tracks.

Also, is there an easy way to see what sample rate/bit depth is being served while playing?

F

freemansteve

So as a streamer, I assume it is only assembling PCM from IP packets, to go out optically. So long as it has stable clocks and a decent UI, it should work fine. Seems good value if you already have a DAC, amp etc., and just want to add internet music.
Can it use a DLNA source?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So as a streamer, I assume it is only assembling PCM from IP packets, to go out optically. So long as it has stable clocks and a decent UI, it should work fine. Seems good value if you already have a DAC, amp etc., and just want to add internet music.
Can it use a DLNA source?
See comment above. Yes but enqueue one track at a time with my server software (Bubbleupnp, Emby).

FuzzTone

Hi,

Cheers
Mario
No chance it's a sure thing.

tom_tom

Hello,
Does anyone uses Wiim Mini but not trough optical but with build-in DAC ? Is it acceptable ?
I'm using optical for TV and would like to use it with RCA.

Top Bottom