• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I bought a WiiM Mini Streamer for 99EUR.
Connected by optical TOSLINK to an optical splitter. One output of the splitter goes into a Topping E30 DAC and then to a headphone amp. The other output of the splitter goes into an optical input of my AV receiver.

There has been a firmware update a few days ago with the new features:
- bitperfect TOSLINK output. So the sampling rate/depth is identical to the source. Up to 192kHz 24Bit
- switch for fixed volume, so no influence from the streamer (no DSP processing etc)

I am using it with Amazon Music and Spotify.
From my understanding the optical out should now send the original music signal to the DAC without having any influence on the music quality.

Is there any chance that a (very much) more expensive streamer can have any advantage in audio quality? Or only snakeoil?
Just speaking about digital out, not the DAC inside the streamer.

Cheers
Mario
How did you hook up Amazon music to wiim?

Brantome

Major Contributor
How did you hook up Amazon music to wiim?
You link your amazon music account in the WiiM app, just like any other music service. If you want to be able to cast from the amazon music app using AlexaCast, you similarly link to your Alexa account in the WiiM app.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You link your amazon music account in the WiiM app, just like any other music service. If you want to be able to cast from the amazon music app using AlexaCast, you similarly link to your Alexa account in the WiiM app.
I tried Alexa, no joy.
on Amazon music app. (windows or Android ) I can not add wiim.
That woman is retarded, or I don't know how to sweet-talk her.:)

Brantome

Major Contributor
I tried Alexa, no joy.
on Amazon music app. (windows or Android ) I can not add wiim.
That woman is retarded, or I don't know how to sweet-talk her.:)
I see you’re in the UK so I presume you have an Amazon.co.uk account with an Amazon music unlimited individual or family plan subscription. If so, it should be as outlined - log into that .co.uk account from the settings under Amazon Music and Alexa on the Device page in the WiiM app.

The Amazon Music link allows you to play that from the WiiM app, while the Alexa link allows you to use Alexacast to cast to the WiiM device from the Amazon Music app.

Which of these fail for you?

morillon

Major Contributor

ROFL
it's annoying that such ""(reviews)-articles""" relay "announcements" like a future
hypothetical roon or peq...
if commercially we understand the interest for wiim... always remains clumsy to see the very questionable method..:confused:

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
How does it actually ’pass the audio’ then? Does it top out at 24/96?
It maintains the source resolution but tops out at the resolution defined for the port. But it's not a definition of being bit-perfect.

rarewolf

So… what’s your point? Up until the stream tops out at 192kHz, whether it’s bitperfect or not is a distinction without a difference.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
What “alteration” are you so concerned with?
I'm not "so concerned", I just correct the definition. And that's a fact that in the most exact meaning of being bitperfect WiiMs are actually not bitperfect because of fade effects added to the digital stream.

rarewolf

I'm not "so concerned", I just correct the definition. And that's a fact that in the most exact meaning of being bitperfect WiiMs are actually not bitperfect because of fade effects added to the digital stream.

Can you reference “fade effects” so the rest of us can understand what you’re talking about?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Can you reference “fade effects” so the rest of us can understand what you’re talking about?
What WiiM gets vs what WiiM sends:

1676635665861.png

Merifon

Could it be a philosophical question? When I try to catch eventual little gap or subtle variations among tracks that have to flow seamless, I'm pretty shure that they go as they should.
Maybe the fade in, happens at the very beginning of stream only and not between tracks.
If this is true, why can't say it's bit perfect?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Could it be a philosophical question? When I try to catch eventual little gap or subtle variations among tracks that have to flow seamless, I'm pretty shure that they go as they should.
Maybe the fade in, happens at the very beginning of stream and not between tracks.
If this is true, why can't say it's bit perfect?
I do not insist on not calling it bitperfect. It's like you said, no fade between tracks when gapless is working.

rarewolf

What WiiM gets vs what WiiM sends:

Can you reference the graph so the rest of us can understand what you’re talking about?

Edit… I see… somehow “yours” fades track in & out for some reason…

Mine does not do that. Mine is bitperfect (gapless) from my JRiver server via the JRiver remote client app (iOS or Android).

Top Bottom