• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

FlyingFreak

To the people who understand this device and have an apple ecosystem:

I feel completely stupid and need help.
I have Apple everything (Mac, iPad, iPhone).

What I think understand:
I can get them all to send information (music/sound) to the wiim through Airplay or to play apps from the Wiim.
Airplay is lossy and playing the app from the wiim isnt.

What I am intending to do:
Using all my apple devices as controllers, not using airplay.

What I am confused about:

Using my iPhone or iPad, I can do 3 things:
1. playing from the Wiim app. I am using Amazon music and Spotify. When using Spotify it send me to the Spotify app.
2. playing from the app (Spotify, Amazon music) and choosing as speaker my wiim mini.
3. choosing my phone or tablet to play sound on the mini.

The first option is playing from the wiim and the third is using airplay. What is the second? Airplay or Wiim?

Finally, on my Mac, I dont seem to be able to access the wiim app at all and the only option is Airplay. Correct?

Thanks !

rarewolf

What I am confused about:

Using my iPhone or iPad, I can do 3 things:
1. playing from the Wiim app. I am using Amazon music and Spotify. When using Spotify it send me to the Spotify app.
2. playing from the app (Spotify, Amazon music) and choosing as speaker my wiim mini.
3. choosing my phone or tablet to play sound on the mini.

The first option is playing from the wiim and the third is using airplay. What is the second? Airplay or Wiim?

I cannot tell the difference if I have WiiM access a DLNA server and play a specific track, or if I have a JRiver client access the JR server and play the same file, while pointing its “listen with” option at the WiiM… which are fair gear related analogies of your 1 & 2. Except, I’m using an LG G8 Android for my platform. I’m sure it’s (conceptually?) just a matter of redirecting the PCM stream from file to DAC via the WiiM and wifi.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Depends on what you choose in the app. For example you can use AirPlay or Spotify Connect when connecting to the Mini.

FlyingFreak

Depends on what you choose in the app. For example you can use AirPlay or Spotify Connect when connecting to the Mini.
Thanks !
The Spotify connect option (or equivalent from Amazon, Apple etc) is the same as playing music from Wiim app?
Option 1 and 2 are therefore the same in terms of audio quality, only with 1 you re using that wonky Wiim app, correct?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thanks !
The Spotify connect option (or equivalent from Amazon, Apple etc) is the same as playing music from Wiim app?
Option 1 and 2 are therefore the same in terms of audio quality, only with 1 you re using that wonky Wiim app, correct?
No equivalent for Apple Music, you have to use AirPlay here. Options 1 and 2 are the same in terms of SQ for Spotify and Amazon if you avoid AirPlay. Option 2 is better for Tidal.

rmsanger

How did the testing/ comparisons go?

Went about as well as one could possibly expect. From a sound quality perspective the Wiim is every bit as good as the bluesound. I prefer being able to use Amazon app to stream natively over blueOS although Blueos is a great UI software for what it is. The only issues I have with Wiim is the amazon app can have latency issues with it where I hit next/pause/play and there is a lag. Also after a short period of time when I stop streaming then open my phone and start again it will lose pairing with wiim pro device. Then when I try to reconnect it will spin and say error. So just a few minor quibbles.

I'm consiering buying 2 more wiim pros with how cheap they are and how well they perform. Next up I'm going to test Bluesound node and Wiim pro through a DDC and then into my Dac via I2S to see if there are any SQ improvement comparisons.

Sckanksta

Thanks for all the replies, comments and suggestions in this thread, it's a really good read! I also had a hard time getting 24/192 to my da converter. It's a Rotel ra-1572 mk2. First it just could do 24bit/96khz. After going through this thread it was made clear that it should manage 24/192, but there's some connection problems with the optical cable. I tried to use some extra power to see if the cable actually could go further into the connection. I didn't "explode" but firmly and slowly increased the power to see if I could make it go further in. Didn't wiggle it as its not the sturdiest and highest quality of equipment; I didn't want to break it. It actually went further in and there was indeed a click! Found a track with 24/192 and the signal went through in full quality!

This little thing are excellent. I was prepared do pay a lot more for another product but there's no need as this one is even better for a much lower price. Surely it's not perfect but for what it can do for such a low price it's a steal!

Witterings

The only issues I have with Wiim is the amazon app can have latency issues with it where I hit next/pause/play and there is a lag.

This is something that's just recently started happening following an update and has been reported by a few on the WiiM Forum so hopefully it'll be resolved.

MrX

Went about as well as one could possibly expect. From a sound quality perspective the Wiim is every bit as good as the bluesound. I prefer being able to use Amazon app to stream natively over blueOS although Blueos is a great UI software for what it is. The only issues I have with Wiim is the amazon app can have latency issues with it where I hit next/pause/play and there is a lag. Also after a short period of time when I stop streaming then open my phone and start again it will lose pairing with wiim pro device. Then when I try to reconnect it will spin and say error. So just a few minor quibbles.

I'm consiering buying 2 more wiim pros with how cheap they are and how well they perform. Next up I'm going to test Bluesound node and Wiim pro through a DDC and then into my Dac via I2S to see if there are any SQ improvement comparisons.
FYI, I have a Amazon Echo Link and I have the same latency and disconnect issues too. This seems like a Amazon Music API issue rather than the WiiM device.

Jpdelaney.tml

Here is the question of the day! Is there any sound quality benefit to setting the optical output to more than 16 Bit, 44.1 kHz while using an external DAC noting its 96-98 dB SNR (maximum at this resolution). The war is not over on this, I am good at CD quality if that is really what I get from AM. Are you?
I just don’t see (hear) any Benicia above this resolution.

Merifon

Here is the question of the day! Is there any sound quality benefit to setting the optical output to more than 16 Bit, 44.1 kHz while using an external DAC noting its 96-98 dB SNR (maximum at this resolution). The war is not over on this, I am good at CD quality if that is really what I get from AM. Are you?
I just don’t see (hear) any Benicia above this resolution.
to capture these types of subtle differences (if any) it would be necessary to set up a method which makes it possible to switch instantly between different sources, with the same editions of the songs in synchronized play. When, in the throes of generic obsessions, I made this type of check, I caught the differences between, for example, Spotify and Tidal hifi, in favor of the second one, while when I looked for differences between different sampling depths, I honestly can't be sure of get heard.
That said, if you take Spotify on its own it's certainly fine but the fact that Tidal in direct comparison, was less annoying, for the same price left me in no doubt about the choice.
Considering the prices, I should switch to Amazon, which should be better but I can't digest its app...

Witterings

Does anyone know what FW 3064 (230129) changed/fixed?

Don't know what it may have changed / fixed ... but I'm sure whatever was intended it'd cause another completely different issue elsewhere as they have zero interest in testing their updates properly prior to release but just seem to regard their customers as cheap guinea pig testers.

You only have to look at the recent issue with pause taking so long to work .... they really need to change their ethics prior to releaing supposed updates which often cause more issues than they resolve.

Jpdelaney.tml

I would rather have multiple updates than none. How your songbird running?
At least there has been a positive progression of the Wiim Mini since it’s release. I liked being a Beta tester as I got hi-res to my external DAC sooner than otherwise would of.
Given the price of the new “budget” versions of AXN/MXN streamers by Cambridge Audio, Wiim provides outstanding performance and value for both the Mini, and the Mini Pro. Seems most here agree with that point of view!

DTTOM37

If you have recently made experience with the WIIM PRO's competitor, the AudioPro Link 2 streamer, you are invited to post your findings in this thread:

Top Bottom