• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Turambar

Probably it's different in the US, but in Spain there are many more users of Tidal, than of Deezer.

RadioBuddha

Sure. We'll add more detailed spec. into the announcement thread. Here is brief SW/HW feature list -
SW
•Chromecast Audio
•AirPlay 2
•DLNA
•(Roon)
•MQA
•MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
(AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
•BT A2DP Source and Sink
•Linkplay streaming services and HD multiroom audio
•Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
•HI-RES Output 24-bit/192kHz
•Bit perfect output
•True gapless playback
•PEQ, 10-band graphic EQ, 24 Preset EQs

HW
•Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
•Line In RCA
•Optical In
•Line out RCA
•Digital Coaxial Out
•Optical SPDIF Out
•USB Type-C power
•12v Trigger for AMP
•Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
•Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Preset

How many station presets that can be accessed by just the native Wiim remote control?

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I already sold my Minis except for one and stayed with my Pi/LMS based system where Deezer is working just fine. I‘m also not sure what Deezer can do about WiiM‘s broken implementation. It´s on their known issues list and a fix is finally planned for this week (a little late in my eyes since Deezer support was and is advertised all the time).
Their roadmap 9/30 states there’s new deezer api. Watch for that update!

morillon

Major Contributor
we know for this annonce of new api deezer..
just the problem is in api or firmware?
;-)

Last edited:

Witterings

I’m not having much luck trying to cast to a multi room music group comprised of a WiiM MinI, and echo plus and an echo show 15 lazily leaving the hd/uhd switch on (i haven’t tried switching it off).

The last point comment is very ambiguous, there shouldn’t be a split between HD and UHD in my opinion but a split between lossy and lossless. Unfortunately, I think WiiM use the term Amazon Music HD to describe the lossy tracks (presumably because they are decoded to 16bit, 44.1 kHz) and use UHD to describe both lossless 16 bit (which amazon call HD) and 24 bit (which Amazon term UHD) tracks.

When trying to play to the aformentioned group, I initially get no sound with the amazon music app apparently hanging, and with the WiiM app not letting me switch to another source like Tunein, telling me the “speaker is busy”. However, trying it later, perhaps after killing the amazon music app, I could get the group to play a lossy track on all devices, again without touching the hd/uhd toggle .

I’ll need to try again later in a more controlled fashion and perhaps submit a ticket to WiiM as currently it’s not predictable nor stable when trying Alexa MRM. It can’t be easy to resolve as it must be said the amazon music app can sometimes have a mind of its own too…

**UPDATE: after a bit more disciplined testing, it would seem any woes I’ve had with Alexa MRM playback is when the HD/UHD Alexa switch is on - problems with playback, not killing old streams, not playing new streams, WiiM app not showing what’s meant to be playing, then playback starting but WiiM app showing “No Music Selected.” Basically, not usable when trying MRM with that HD/UHD toggle on.

So, no idea what that point 6 is saying and any optimism that some form of lossless Amazon Music multi room playback was possible was ill-founded. Also, my tests would also suggest that you still need to manually turn off that hd/uhd switch.

However, it now appears I’m back to audio dropouts when just casting to one Mini - another ticket on its way to WiiM I fear :(

Finally found some time to test it myself as well, I purposefully chose a track listed as HD and not UHD and tried to stream it to multiroom and nada, zilch, zip as they say so the claim it now supports mutiroom audio for Amazon music HD seems wide of the mark unless have misunderstood what they meant by that.

Attachments

• Wiim Update.jpg
    Wiim Update.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 67

Brantome

Major Contributor
Finally found some time to test it myself as well, I purposefully chose a track listed as HD and not UHD and tried to stream it to multiroom and nada, zilch, zip as they say so the claim it now supports mutiroom audio for Amazon music HD seems wide of the mark unless have misunderstood what they meant by that.

I think it's the unintentional misuse of the term Amazon Music HD which in the past WiiM have used to describe anything 16 bit, primarily if not exclusively the 16 bit PCM stream derived from the lossy Amazon Music service. They seem to use UHD to describe the lossless service, 16 or 24 bit.

I submitted a rather long step by step account of my issues trying to play lossless tracks on multiroom and I think the long and short of their reply is the memory issue they face on the Mini as had been previously mentioned - they said "The WiiM Pro have more large memory size and it will support AMHD with AVS multi-room or Amazon Music Casting."

From that, I take it that while the Mini does support bit perfect lossless HD and UHD Amazon Music, and does support Alexa MRM, it can't do both at the same time.

flaviocc

Wanting to try this as an alternative but has anyone tried using a tablet as an external album art/metadata display? Interested in hearing experiences with that.

Me too.

I have an Amazon Fire HD8+ that is my media center and want to pair with WiiM mini or pro.

Smitty2k1

I've finished my gapless UPnP tests on the new FW. Flac files, wavs and oggs were perfectly gapless in LMS and eezUPnP. Mp3 files were not perfect due to padding I suppose.
There were some glitches when very short few seconds files were played, especially in eezUPnP, but it's a special case anyway.

@WiiM Support , thank you very much.

Can you tell me your config? I've been using "flow" mode to get gapless working and I just tried to disable flow mode and it wouldn't switch tracks. Reading the info it seems I needed to set "force" mode to get it to switch tracks but it still has a very long pause even with force enabled.

I'm back to flow mode for the time being.

Was using Led Zeppelin's live album "How the West was Won" to test if it matters. Flac files. LMS running on a RPi with the UPNP/DLNA bridge plugin.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Can you tell me your config? I've been using "flow" mode to get gapless working and I just tried to disable flow mode and it wouldn't switch tracks. Reading the info it seems I needed to set "force" mode to get it to switch tracks but it still has a very long pause even with force enabled.

I'm back to flow mode for the time being.

Was using Led Zeppelin's live album "How the West was Won" to test if it matters. Flac files. LMS running on a RPi with the UPNP/DLNA bridge plugin.
My LMS is 8.2.1 - 1662271208, UPnP bridge 1.82.2. Running in the container.

Attachments

• upnpbridge-config.zip
    730 bytes · Views: 38

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know why the name of my Wiim mini is incorrect in the Amazon app? I have clearly named it living room in the Wiim app but it shows up as Douglas's 3rd Wiim mini...

derek13

Anyone know why the name of my Wiim mini is incorrect in the Amazon app? I have clearly named it living room in the Wiim app but it shows up as Douglas's 3rd Wiim mini...
It may be picking up the name from the Alexa App (which I think just allocates names as it finds devices) - try renaming it in Alexa.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sometimes Darko does an interesting video. A new video here on DTS Play-Fi

WiiM Mini makes an appearance.

Still too many issues with Play-Fi.

I'm with him about gapless playback. He even does a cool demo with a continuous mix album (which I listen a lot of)

Gapless in 2022 should be standard feature.

I am also with him that Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music, Qobuz apps all have way better UI's than most 3rd party.

So 'casting' or 'Connect' style is how things should be in 2022 - and gapless.

I'm really curious how WiiM Pro has Chromecast Built-in if they are not using StreamUnlimited (Google part owned) hardware module...

@Brantome Darko noted your feedback about DSOTM and picked Animals instead (in the preview pic below) :D

WiiM Support

I’m not having much luck trying to cast to a multi room music group comprised of a WiiM MinI, and echo plus and an echo show 15 lazily leaving the hd/uhd switch on (i haven’t tried switching it off).

The last point comment is very ambiguous, there shouldn’t be a split between HD and UHD in my opinion but a split between lossy and lossless. Unfortunately, I think WiiM use the term Amazon Music HD to describe the lossy tracks (presumably because they are decoded to 16bit, 44.1 kHz) and use UHD to describe both lossless 16 bit (which amazon call HD) and 24 bit (which Amazon term UHD) tracks.

When trying to play to the aformentioned group, I initially get no sound with the amazon music app apparently hanging, and with the WiiM app not letting me switch to another source like Tunein, telling me the “speaker is busy”. However, trying it later, perhaps after killing the amazon music app, I could get the group to play a lossy track on all devices, again without touching the hd/uhd toggle .

I’ll need to try again later in a more controlled fashion and perhaps submit a ticket to WiiM as currently it’s not predictable nor stable when trying Alexa MRM. It can’t be easy to resolve as it must be said the amazon music app can sometimes have a mind of its own too…

**UPDATE: after a bit more disciplined testing, it would seem any woes I’ve had with Alexa MRM playback is when the HD/UHD Alexa switch is on - problems with playback, not killing old streams, not playing new streams, WiiM app not showing what’s meant to be playing, then playback starting but WiiM app showing “No Music Selected.” Basically, not usable when trying MRM with that HD/UHD toggle on.

So, no idea what that point 6 is saying and any optimism that some form of lossless Amazon Music multi room playback was possible was ill-founded. Also, my tests would also suggest that you still need to manually turn off that hd/uhd switch.

However, it now appears I’m back to audio dropouts when just casting to one Mini - another ticket on its way to WiiM I fear :(
Hi Brantome, sorry for the confusion. The update is not made for AVS multiroom. For AVS multiroom with other Echo devices (Echo show 15), you have to turn off the HD/UHD. It's made for streaming music to LinkPlay multiroom group from either Amazon music or WiiM Home App. To say it short, you can forget the switch when you're using LinkPlay multiroom. If you're using AVS multiroom, the toggle is still needed. I hope it can be made simpler in future. Thank you!

ENG

Forum Donor
I‘m happy that you and others are satisfied. But the Mini is not the holy grail. There are Deezer users like me who are waiting for ~6 months for a fix of the Deezer implementation. I hope that this will not be normal if one of the existing service implementations needs an update.

Well, I also use Deezer with WiiM and have the same problems as you have. Wiim declare that they will have an update very soon. In the meantime you can use AirPlay, if you have IOS. That will be in 16/44.1.

See this thread:

Witterings

Hi Brantome, sorry for the confusion. The update is not made for AVS multiroom. For AVS multiroom with other Echo devices (Echo show 15), you have to turn off the HD/UHD. It's made for streaming music to LinkPlay multiroom group from either Amazon music or WiiM Home App. To say it short, you can forget the switch when you're using LinkPlay multiroom. If you're using AVS multiroom, the toggle is still needed. I hope it can be made simpler in future. Thank you!

It doesn't work casting from Amazon App to just WiiM Minis either, see my post before, it just freezes and you get no sound.

Raver

It doesn't work casting from Amazon App to just WiiM Minis either, see my post before, it just freezes and you get no sound.

I have been having good success playing from the wiim app to 2x minis over the last couple of days without changing the hd/uhd toggle. I have not tried from Amazon Music app thoough.

Top Bottom