• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
With the latest release, the last point No. 6 .... does anyone know / @WiiM Support if it automatically toggles between UHD and HD if you're playing multiroom or do you still have to manually go in and change the settings on each WiiM individually?
I’m not having much luck trying to cast to a multi room music group comprised of a WiiM MinI, and echo plus and an echo show 15 lazily leaving the hd/uhd switch on (i haven’t tried switching it off).

The last point comment is very ambiguous, there shouldn’t be a split between HD and UHD in my opinion but a split between lossy and lossless. Unfortunately, I think WiiM use the term Amazon Music HD to describe the lossy tracks (presumably because they are decoded to 16bit, 44.1 kHz) and use UHD to describe both lossless 16 bit (which amazon call HD) and 24 bit (which Amazon term UHD) tracks.

When trying to play to the aformentioned group, I initially get no sound with the amazon music app apparently hanging, and with the WiiM app not letting me switch to another source like Tunein, telling me the “speaker is busy”. However, trying it later, perhaps after killing the amazon music app, I could get the group to play a lossy track on all devices, again without touching the hd/uhd toggle .

I’ll need to try again later in a more controlled fashion and perhaps submit a ticket to WiiM as currently it’s not predictable nor stable when trying Alexa MRM. It can’t be easy to resolve as it must be said the amazon music app can sometimes have a mind of its own too…

**UPDATE: after a bit more disciplined testing, it would seem any woes I’ve had with Alexa MRM playback is when the HD/UHD Alexa switch is on - problems with playback, not killing old streams, not playing new streams, WiiM app not showing what’s meant to be playing, then playback starting but WiiM app showing “No Music Selected.” Basically, not usable when trying MRM with that HD/UHD toggle on.

So, no idea what that point 6 is saying and any optimism that some form of lossless Amazon Music multi room playback was possible was ill-founded. Also, my tests would also suggest that you still need to manually turn off that hd/uhd switch.

However, it now appears I’m back to audio dropouts when just casting to one Mini - another ticket on its way to WiiM I fear :(

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
More DSP speakers coming out every week.

These have BluOS built-in which also means it misses the features of WiiM Mini that Bluesound Node also misses.

We'll start seeing streaming speakers with latest LinkPlay/WiiM Mini tech built-in soon.

The future is now ! :D

Jpdelaney.tml

Appears tunedIn bitrates etc still iffy?

Attachments

• 81C86B51-28A8-4B72-A92C-031B1D46952A.png
    81C86B51-28A8-4B72-A92C-031B1D46952A.png
    724.8 KB · Views: 57

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can wiim be programmed to have Dirac on it?
See post # 4,336

Dirac is essentially multi-thousand band (taps) PEQ...

Makes more sense for miniDSP (and others) to add this streaming module to their current Dirac products.

MCH

Major Contributor
Can wiim be programmed to have Dirac on it?
In post #2869 someone posted an email from wiim telling that Dirac was one of the options they were considering for room correction. I was hoping for a pro version upgradeable to Dirac, but the pro version does not even have a USB, can't see how they can make it work with Dirac. No idea, maybe it is possible, but my expectations are very very low.

RosalieTheDog

In post #2869 someone posted an email from wiim telling that Dirac was one of the options they were considering for room correction. I was hoping for a pro version upgradeable to Dirac, but the pro version does not even have a USB, can't see how they can make it work with Dirac. No idea, maybe it is possible, but my expectations are very very low.

Wiim Pro resembles i/o of Martin Logan Unison, which has Anthem ARC.

1664118973877.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Measurements can be done on PC with USB mic connected and all processed calibrations can be sent to the output device over the network. At least I think it's possible that way.

Reactions: MCH

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are many different room corrections such as audesey, ypao, dirac and others. I had only ypao it does good job except the subwoofer. I have no idea about the rest, is dirac the best on todays technology?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Measurements can be done on PC with USB mic connected and all processed calibrations can be sent to the output device over the network. At least I think it's possible that way.

The real-time processing (convolution - FIR + IIR) on the device is power hungry.

The measurements on a PC is the easy part (lots of processing power commonly available).

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ifi just release a streamer called neo for 1300. Sure, it got all the connections and probably use volumio v3 but the price is just out of reach for most people. It has all connectivity and powerful hardware but I think the bottleneck on this device it’s software. Linkplay expertise on software leave other streamer behind.

Top Bottom