• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
And how is that related to USB port?
I'm only talking about the limited power onboard WiiM Mini.

You wouldn't necessarily need a USB port anyway... measurements could be done on PC/laptop and sent over network to the processor.

It's done this way with other Dirac products.

Anyway this is all fantasy land in my opinion.

More likely is miniDSP (and others) adds LinkPlay streaming module.

Lets see !

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You wouldn't necessarily need a USB port anyway... measurements could be done on PC/laptop and sent over network to the processor.
That's what I wrote before...

Regarding Pro's power we still don't know details. We can be probably sure that no dedicated DSP chip is planned which could help with Dirac, because of the Pro's price tag.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's what I wrote before...
To me what you wrote before sounded like doing measurements and generating corrections on a PC solves the biggest problem

Apologies if I got that wrong.

My point is the FIR + IIR convolution as you're playing music is still a major problem (processing power).

direwolf08

Really interested in giving this thing a try. I currently have a RPi4 with touchscreen running Volumio, and it is pretty buggy. Spotify Connect is unusable. Wanting to try this as an alternative but has anyone tried using a tablet as an external album art/metadata display? Interested in hearing experiences with that.

Also, I know a @Ralph_Cramden has coded up a nice external display, but I don’t have waveshare display (or the board he used) and I don’t think I am up to the task of porting it to the RPI + touchscreen.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone mention if you use chromecast to play amazon and apple it will be lossy while tidal and qoboz hd? Is chromecast even follow bit perfect that wiim will put out?

telemike

Someone mention if you use chromecast to play amazon and apple it will be lossy while tidal and qoboz hd? Is chromecast even follow bit perfect that wiim will put out?
No chrome cast on WiiM mini. Only on upcoming Pro.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can confirm that WiiM Mini UPnP renderer is now capable of gapless playback when casting/controlled from a UPnP app supporting it, like my BubbleUPnP (Android). Good job, @WiiM Support !
It’s just amazing how much support and features they put in on mini for such low price. Expensive streamer doesn’t do this much aside offering powerful hardware and connectivity but lag behind on software which linkplay has the upper hand. Node has powerful hardware and doing bug fixing but adding features like amazon music cast doesn’t exist as of now. On the other hand, wiim mini doesn’t compare to their hardware to others but their experience on software leave other miles away.

D

Deleted member 47859

It’s just amazing how much support and features they put in on mini for such low price. Expensive streamer doesn’t do this much aside offering powerful hardware and connectivity but lag behind on software which linkplay has the upper hand. Node has powerful hardware and doing bug fixing but adding features like amazon music cast doesn’t exist as of now. On the other hand, wiim mini doesn’t compare to their hardware to others but their experience on software leave other miles away.
I‘m happy that you and others are satisfied. But the Mini is not the holy grail. There are Deezer users like me who are waiting for ~6 months for a fix of the Deezer implementation. I hope that this will not be normal if one of the existing service implementations needs an update.

Reactions: ENG

Merifon

I‘m happy that you and others are satisfied. But the Mini is not the holy grail. There are Deezer users like me who are waiting for ~6 months for a fix of the Deezer implementation. I hope that this will not be normal if one of the existing service implementations needs an update.
some time ago, i asked deezer support if they could kindly support wiim mini directly, i don't remember if they answered. Maybe if these demands increase, it could happens.
In the meantime I switched to Tidal, which has a decent app and costs less... ;-)

D

Deleted member 47859

I tried several services but to me Deezer is the best. So before moving to another service I move to other hardware.

morillon

Major Contributor
given the experience of the mini..
I did not know that this kind of purchase tended to the participative-collaborative project...(maybe this is the most important interesting for some)
I have also done my best on my side concerning deezer since the beginning of February and in the end only have been able to enjoy it for 3 weeks in July in a correct way...
conclusion, because I ignored these approaches in audio, now, I will only buy this kind of product a few months after their release, with the assurance that the services concerning me are operational...

Last edited:

Merifon

I tried several services but to me Deezer is the best. So before moving to another service I move to other hardware.
before changing, please send anyway a request to Deezer support, it could help wake them up from their slumber and allow me to return in the future

D

Deleted member 47859

before changing, please send anyway a request to Deezer support, it could help wake them up from their slumber and allow me to return in the future
I already sold my Minis except for one and stayed with my Pi/LMS based system where Deezer is working just fine. I‘m also not sure what Deezer can do about WiiM‘s broken implementation. It´s on their known issues list and a fix is finally planned for this week (a little late in my eyes since Deezer support was and is advertised all the time).

Witterings

I think you'll find they've probably prioritised the services with the largest number of users which makes commecrcial sense for them as it keeps the highest number of their exisiting customers happy (which is good press) as well as appealing to the highest number of potential new customers .... but totally appreciate that doesn't help you at all.

I still wish you could cast Amazon UHD from the Amazon App to multiroom (or have it automatically switch when going between multiroom or single device), if there was an alternative that did which didn't cost considerably more I'd switch tomorrow but as there's not I'll bide my time and see where they / the competition are in a few months and will hold off buying a WiiM Pro as it's the only other "feature" I'd like.

In essence you have the same choice but fully understand how frustrating it is in the meantime.

I think they've had an awful lot of targets they wanted to fulfill in a short period of time, now they've done a number of those hopefully for you (and others) some of the things not quite so high up the list will get done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47859

I think you'll find they've probably prioritised the services with the largest number of users which makes commecrcial sense for them as it keeps the highest number of their exisiting customers happy (which is good press) as well as appealing to the highest number of potential new customers .... but totally appreciate that doesn't help you at all.
That would be reasonable - however according to statistics Deezer has more users than Tidal. If you buy a device and something that has been advertised is not working you get frustrated. All the new services and functionality that got implemented in the meantime (which has been an impressive amount!) was not advertised functionality when I bought my devices.

It is like it is. You always have the choice to move on. Let‘s just hope that they get the issues sorted out and that it won‘t take another ~6 months if a service breaks.

Merifon

Deezer has more users than Tidal.
Maybe i'm wrong but i think that Tidal connect direct support of Wiim, it's a Tidal choice. The use of Tidal from wiim app, is very limited and certainly, if it was the only way available, i'd gone with other

Last edited:
Top Bottom