• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 222 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 128 31.4%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
The impedance measurement of the JBL 590 bears a strong resemblance to the complex load used by Erin in his WiiM Amp review (more details can be found here). Therefore, it is likely that the impedance curve of the JBL 590 in the presence range of 2-4kHz will create a frequency response bump of approximately 0.6dB with the WiiM Amp.

This should be audible, but not in the sense of "every piece of music sounds wrong", rather more like "some music pieces exhibit somewhat aggressive-sounding parts".

This impression could be further amplified, depending on the Quality factor (Q) and the exact location of the frequency response peak performed by the WiiM Amp (due to the speaker load), by the sound power, early reflections, and PIR (Power Impulse Response) curve of the JBL 590, as it already exhibits a slight bump in the presence range (see purple rectangle):

View attachment 350989

For those without a calibrated measurement microphone and knowledge of how to perform quasi-anechoic frequency response measurements, one can try to eliminate possible tonal inconsistencies purely by EQ by ear or implementing an impedance linearization for a few dollars to minimize the effects of amplifier load dependency.

Since Amir has measured the impedance frequency response of the JBL 590 it's easy to do so. After importing the JBL 590 impedance measurement into VCAD, impedance linearization can easily be performed.
In case of the JBL 590, a Zobel network consisting of a 22µF electrolytic capacitor and a 12-ohm ceramic resistor for around $4 should suffice (green impedance curve is with Zobel network):

View attachment 350994

With the Zobel network connected in parallel to the speaker terminal of the JBL 590 (more details here), the frequency response of the WiiM Amp should then approximately match what Amir measured with the constant impedance load of 4 and 8 ohms (somewhere between).
Interesting, plus your thread you refer to. This with a Zobel network was a smart solution.:)

Do you hear these FR deviations? Maybe, or maybe not. In any case, in my world I think HiFi electronics should have straight FR. It should be a fundamental aspect of the construction. I know that the LTS (Sound Technology Society) in Sweden previously did not measure class D amps. This, if I remember correctly, due to its inability to create a straight FR. Nowadays there are SOTA class D without load dependence so maybe they, LTS, measure class D amps. If they don't, they should.:)

At least he doesn't believes in cables.
Some cables at home ..pfff compared to:;)

“An immense logistical hurdle”: here's how much pro audio gear it takes to make the Super Bowl halftime show happen

Screenshot_2024-02-20_144536.jpg

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Their latest roadmap update (10 Feb 24) says they’re working on 8 band PEQ and room correction for the Amp (and Pro/ Plus) as well as other stuff.

I appreciate WiiM is deploying Parametric EQ to such relatively cheap hardware devices and look forward to the possibility that 'room correction' wiil be added later, perhaps when 'refurbished' WiiM Amps start appearing in Linkplay's outlet store on Ebay at a discount to the list price.

Arianoxx

Couldn't agree more. This ticks a lot of boxes for music lovers on a low budget.

Big plus here is the App, stability of the streamer, and the high pass on the mains and low pass on the sub out, which we asked Fosi to implement in the previous thread.

Perfect for a second system or for those starting out in hifi - just add a pair of Elac or Wharfdale bookshelves and a second hand sub .... $700-$800 total for great sound and convenience.

The Audio World is a wonderful place at the moment with more and more inexpensive high performance gear being produced.
That’s exactly what I want to do with my dbr62 and b&w610 in my bedroom. I’m just hoping that the high impedance of dbr62 in the 4khz to 20khz area doesn’t boost too much the treble. Has anyone already tried this combo, or has any predictions?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you hear these FR deviations? Maybe, or maybe not. In any case, in my world I think HiFi electronics should have straight FR. It should be a fundamental aspect of the construction.
I am happy to answer rhetorical questions ;)

It depends on the speakers used. If a speaker is maximally transparent without sounding aggressive in the presence range 1-4kHz, then a 0.5-1dB peak with a Q <=1 can be heard as aggressive, bright, sharp in certain musical passages.

In the neighboring thread I made a simple ABX comparison with a 1dB peak in the 2.5-3.5kHz range. The music samples are attached, so everyone can perform an ABX test themselves.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's crazy to be in the HiFi hobby today. This guy at $300 + a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE at $368, total $668 and you have a very high fidelity system. That's a streamer, DAC, looks to be a very basic DSP in there as there is EQ, integrated amp, and a pair of excellent speakers.

This is a system a college student can afford.
And can use a turntable, as is also a bit of a fad among some (I never quite using my Technics SL-M3 or my DUAL 1229).

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll always advice to buy used HiFi. You can have a TOTL system for peanuts. You may be able to get a cheap chinese amp new. But it is not worth anything in a couple of years.
Not that I disagree with you though. :)
Most of these Chinese products, aren't so expensive to begin with. A SOTA Chinese DAC is $900USD, even if you sell it for $$450USD, it's not a big deal, assuming you kept it for at least two years. Ever since I started to buy standalone DACs, 4 years ago, it only have been Chinese DACs, I have no major issues and any minor issues I had, the retailer did the right thing.

BarryTone

This amp is tremendous value and you could build an inexpensive multi-room system by combining in-wall with active speakers using Wiim minis. The following are all double or more but to be fair some have speakers with built-in streaming which is cleaner, and SONOS has room correction software. Sill, they should be nervous about the new Wiim Amp.

SVS Prime Wireless Pro SOUNDBASE Amplifier - $699

Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp - $599

Sonos Amp - $699

Bluesound POWERNODE - $949

Which would you buy if you were starting a multi-room system?

Mikig

Where I come from, this Dac streamer amp costs 369 euros online.

it seems, from Amirm's tests, thanks for your time!!, a good product, it does everything quite well and at an interesting price.
Excellent for a practical, simple and well-sounding system.

However:, personally I would make a different choice....I am more attracted by a combination of separate components...I know, more cables, more problems, more space....but I think that for a little more, you can put on a different system.

more or less at the price of the Wiim Amp, using a Wiim product as a starting point for example, I could have these combination, that give me the idea that they can be improved, implemented and completed over time:

1) a 3e audio amp. and a Wiim pro as preamp/streamer

2)a Yamaha As301 and a Wiim streamer basic.

3)a Wiim streamer and two active speakers…..

And more and more other kind of system …..

D!sco

I’ve noticed these wonder class D’s seem to have better SINAD the higher their power output. This one in fact dips lowest at the test specifications.
While testing the limits is what I like about this site, doesn’t most listening happen around 100mW, where this and many other class D amps show a SINAD of ~70? Unlike the Hypex and Purifi amps that have equally low distortion across the board for an appropriately exorbitant price.

Vladetz

I’ve noticed these wonder class D’s seem to have better SINAD the higher their power output. This one in fact dips lowest at the test specifications.
While testing the limits is what I like about this site, doesn’t most listening happen around 100mW, where this and many other class D amps show a SINAD of ~70? Unlike the Hypex and Purifi amps that have equally low distortion across the board for an appropriately exorbitant price.
Sometimes sinad can be dominated be noise and noise stays at the same level on all power levels

D

Deleted member 48726

Apples and onions
Not really. They are amplifiers and should do that properly within their respective design envelope. It is easily possible for very cheap chip amps to perform nicely with proper design. I earlier linked to an amp costing about a third of the Wiim amp that doesn't have load variance.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It can’t be the component cost involved: it’s a handful of cheap parts. It’s also not rocket science to implement. I think there are some patents preventing the implementation of this feature. Like this one from Texas Instruments:

If so, we’ll have to wait until 2037 or until someone finds another way. It’s interesting that TI would hog the patent, since it’s mostly their chips used in these kind of amps. They could easily make the patent free to use around their own products and create more demand by doing so.

So if covered by patents, it brings up another controversial point about the recently tested 3E audio amps: are they legal?
Another controversial point - would the patent survive scrutiny? Between undergrad level control theory and prior patents showing feedback from after a 2nd order output filter I'm not sure what there is in that patent that shouldn't be obvious. Then again I'm not a patent lawyer (or any other sort for that matter) and it would cost a lot to find out in court.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6803816B2/en?oq=US6803816B2
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7113038B2/en?oq=US7113038B2

aschen

Seems like the perfect device for a bedroom system, to recommend to non enthusiasts, or to compliment a TV.

Great feature set and pricing, just needs a phono input to be perfect for current market conditions (ironically).

jbattman1016

It's crazy to be in the HiFi hobby today. This guy at $300 + a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE at $368, total $668 and you have a very high fidelity system. That's a streamer, DAC, looks to be a very basic DSP in there as there is EQ, integrated amp, and a pair of excellent speakers.

This is a system a college student can afford.

The college student spending $668 on a stereo is someone I would have liked to be friends with in school.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Not really. They are amplifiers and should do that properly within their respective design envelope. It is easily possible for very cheap chip amps to perform nicely with proper design. I earlier linked to an amp costing about a third of the Wiim amp that doesn't have load variance.

Most of the amps I’ve seen reviewed in this price category * are load dependent.

* Please remember this is streamer-DAC-amp, not just an amp. This is more-or-less a WiiM Pro Plus + amplification, so we’re looking at £100 maximum on the amplification stage.

Top Bottom