• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, didn't realize PSB had gone so low in price. Bought the P5 on Amazon. Given their NRC research tradition, hopefully it won't be a terrible speaker I get stuck with!
The Sterophile measurements look decent. There is a dip at ~3800Hz, but that looks intentional because it has a rise in response slightly off-axis there as well.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Ah, didn't realize PSB had gone so low in price. Bought the P5 on Amazon. Given their NRC research tradition, hopefully it won't be a terrible speaker I get stuck with!

I would expect (based on other PSB offerings) that it would at least be as good and likely measure a bit better than the cheap Pioneers which have fared reasonably well (subjectively speaking) in your comparisons.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Boston Acoustics A-25 and Mission MX1 have a lot of good reviews, I would like to see this verified. Whether it's "good" or "for such pennies it's quite good".
I ordered the BA A25.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hopefully it won't be a terrible speaker I get stuck with
Amir, perhaps you should look into auctioning off/giveaway to the membership, the speakers/electronics you are hoarding.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I'd like to throw in a vote for the Q Acoustics 3020i. They are voted by Wirecutter as best bookshelf speakers for most people - so it'd be great to see some objective measurements. They're slightly above budget at $315.

View attachment 50616

I was impressed to see Wirecutter actually use blind ABX listening tests to choose their winning speakers:
We regularly rotated their positions to ensure that placement was not an influencing factor. We used an ABX switching device from Audio by Van Alstine that let us instantly switch between three sets of speakers for blind A/B testing.

And they even mention Dr. Floyd Toole's research in passing:
Primarily we listened for a balanced, neutral sound. Research from Floyd Toole and other scientists has shown that most people prefer a flat frequency response, in which certain frequencies aren’t unnaturally emphasized over others.

Although their particular ABX testing method doesn't sound rigorously scientific, it's still streaks ahead of most hi-fi review sites / magazines / youtube channels which rarely if ever do any blind listening at all, so I think Wirecutter's recommendations can be trusted way more than most, and I agree it would be interesting to see how those recommendations correlate with measurements.

As I said previously in this thread though, the 3020i have already been measured by SoundStage using the advanced facilities and anechoic chamber at Canada's National Research Council (where Drs. Toole and Olive did their seminal research). So I think it would instead make sense to test the previous model, the Q Acoustics 3020 (without the i), which were the previous winners of Wirecutter's blind tests and have been universally praised, but for which there exist no proper measurements yet. We could then see if the newer model is actually any better. The 3020 is also closer to the budget of this thread than the 3020i, at $229 a pair from Amazon.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I just ordered a pair of Elac DBR62 bookshelf speakers and am having them shipped directly to Amir. I wanted to find a reasonably priced speaker to use for my own comparison reviews and thought these would be worth the risk at $599/pair. Figured I might as well let Amir review them so everyone could see how they do so he'll get them before I do. Kind of weird. lol

Shazb0t

I just ordered a pair of Elac DBR62 bookshelf speakers and am having them shipped directly to Amir. I wanted to find a reasonably priced speaker to use for my own comparison reviews and thought these would be worth the risk at $599/pair. Figured I might as well let Amir review them so everyone could see how they do so he'll get them before I do. Kind of weird. lol
But did you get black or white?

Shazb0t

White. Neither really tickle my fancy but the white baffle looked better to me.
I'm not really into white speakers, but we agree on neither really standing out. I would have preferred a veneer all around over either option. Thanks for sending them in! I'm looking forward to the eventual results, it's a good test for what Andrew Jones considers "Reference" at this price range.

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.
I've got a couple: PSB Alpha A3, Definitive Technology Demand D7, Anker Flare Plus( for giggles). and while I remember Micca AD250 amp
thanks

escape2

Ah, didn't realize PSB had gone so low in price. Bought the P5 on Amazon.
The Alpha line has always been quite affordable. I paid less than $200 for a pair of Alpha B some 10+ years back, and they have become one of my favorite near-field desktop speakers since they aren't bright. Looking forward to seeing your measurements of the P5.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said that its accurate but euphonic. ;)
Also I didn't say it appears in the listening window but in the sound power and thus at the listening position, even more at typical "high end" listening rooms and distances where the reflected sound and sound power dominates the direct sound.

On the Sony measurement you posted you can see it well at 3 kHz
View attachment 51075

same at the here measured Harbeth (red curve)

View attachment 51076

or the listening position measurements of a B&W 805 D3 at stereophile (red curve, a bit earlier)
View attachment 51078
Here is a fresh case of a presence dip already in the on-axis sound

1583405024753.png

(from https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-olympica-nova-1-loudspeaker-measurements)

and interesting also the manufacturer commment on it:

When it comes to electroacoustic design choices, Sonus Faber's tradition, approach, and philosophy is to trust human perception over measurements, valuing vivid and natural sound over all else. However, we do feel that measurements, instruments, and technology are essential tools in achieving the final goal of the most natural sound reproduction possible. We always place emphasis on the electrical behavior of our creations; our impedance response never drops below 85% of the nominal value and always with minimum phase rotation (within ±36 degrees) in order to guarantee an easy match with virtually any amplifier.

Studying human hearing perception means being aware that it is not linear at all, another cultural asset which influenced Sonus Faber in designing speakers the way we do. The slight lack of energy in the crossover region is purposeful because this is the range of frequencies where our human hearing is most sensitive, and we compensate for that. For the exact same reason, we also introduced increased energy in the high frequencies: There, the human hearing apparatus is less sensitive.

One of the benefits of this design choice is testified to by the excellent staging ability of the Olympica Nova I (also highlighted by the review) and of course requires a custom-designed tweeter able to sound transparent and detailed without being harsh or aggressive when pushed.

(from https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-olympica-nova-1-loudspeaker-manufacturers-comment)

PS: Before I get misunderstood, that's not my opinion and it doesn't mean that I agree with above ;)

tecnogadget

BOSTON ACOUSTICS CR57 // A WELL-KEPT SECRET // Circa 2004 the Compact Reference line from Boston Acoustics. Nowadays you can get it for as low as 50$ to 100$ that's SUPER BUDGET ! This is a REALLY SMALL but mighty bookshelf. Paired with a subwoofer makes for a super enjoyable combo!

Why measure it? It has a WAVEGUIDE plus phase correction on the tweeter, a small 4 1⁄2" midrange unit which makes for good dispersion/directivity and has phase plug for power handling, a really small cabinet that makes it naturally sturdy (not enough panel size to resonate).
  • Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and 3D modeling to optimize the geometry of both the cone and the surround.
  • Kortec® soft dome tweeter (proprietary material) mounted in an innovative new wide dispersion projection tweeter baffle.
  • Ferrofluid and an extruded aluminum heat sink combine to improve the tweeter’s power handling and reliability.
  • Bass and Midrange units utilize phase plugs that conduct heat away from the voice coil, thus increasing power handling and maximizing output.
  • Drivers are positioned very close to each other for smooth, uniform radiation in both the horizontal and vertical planes.
  • Deep Channel™ Design pole plate enables the voice coil to travel farther without bottoming out
  • Rear-mounted vent is smoothly flared to reduce port turbulence
Boston CR57 (2).jpg

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BOSTON ACÚSTICS CR57 // A WELL-KEPT SECRET // Circa 2004 the Compact Reference line from Boston Acoustics. Nowadays you can get it for as low as 50$ to 100$ that's SUPER BUDGET ! This is a REALLY SMALL but mighty bookshelf. Paired with a subwoofer makes for a super enjoyable combo!

Why measure it? It has a WAVEGUIDE plus phase correction on the tweeter, a small 4 1⁄2" midrange unit which makes for good dispersion/directivity and has phase plug for power handling, a really small cabinet that makes it naturally sturdy (not enough panel size to resonate).
  • Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and 3D modeling to optimize the geometry of both the cone and the surround.
  • Kortec® soft dome tweeter (proprietary material) mounted in an innovative new wide dispersion projection tweeter baffle.
  • Ferrofluid and an extruded aluminum heat sink combine to improve the tweeter’s power handling and reliability.
  • Bass and Midrange units utilize phase plugs that conduct heat away from the voice coil, thus increasing power handling and maximizing output.
  • Drivers are positioned very close to each other for smooth, uniform radiation in both the horizontal and vertical planes.
  • Deep Channel™ Design pole plate enables the voice coil to travel farther without bottoming out
  • Rear-mounted vent is smoothly flared to reduce port turbulence
View attachment 53083

I think I have one of those I could send still. I am sure though. I may have hacked the crossover out of them to make a small active speaker. So I may only have a husk of a pair of them. :)

If memory serves the midrange is a little depressed but the polars were pretty good. They do not happily play loud.

I'll have to look but I should still have my measurements from them if there's interest. Measurements should be at least to ±90º horizontal. Vertical is probably less, maybe a lot less.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Presonus Eris XT5 or XT7 and the M-Audio BX5 D3 would make a nice test subject in the 'budget' class.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Infinity r162 sets are on sale for $160 right now at harman audio.

Top Bottom