• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on floor speakers, budget around 1,500 $

D

Deleted member 48726

Yamaha rib width 14cm, height 7cm, depth 4cm
Leak rib width 20cm, height 10cm, depth 7.5cm
Even without the deep ribs in the leak, the cooling surface would be slightly larger, but only 2%. With the deep ribs there is significantly more cooling surface.

Where did you get those measurements?

1703944173963.jpeg

1703944209163.jpeg

TankTop

I would suggest looking locally for used speaker, much more bang for the buck

Edit add: reading through the post it looks like Revel F35/F36 are on sale in your budget, not much in your price range can touch those

Reactions: MKR

Roland68

Major Contributor
Where did you get those measurements?

View attachment 338231
View attachment 338232
I already had the Yamaha on the table and someone in my circle of friends had the leak. But only since Christmas, but unfortunately I haven't heard it yet because the distance is a bit long.

I put the two pictures exactly next to each other to scale. Should be accurate to less than 1%, as we also use the method for measuring objects on images in industry.
You can clearly see the difference between the heat sinks.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-30 um 15.14.15.png

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Put a fan on either of them!:D I'm no EE or technician, but I like the look of that Leak transformer and capacitors.

D

Deleted member 48726

I already had the Yamaha on the table and someone in my circle of friends had the leak. But only since Christmas, but unfortunately I haven't heard it yet because the distance is a bit long.

I put the two pictures exactly next to each other to scale. Should be accurate to less than 1%, as we also use the method for measuring objects on images in industry.
You can clearly see the difference between the heat sinks.
View attachment 338235
Fair enough. Good job. Perspective is everything.

DanielT

Major Contributor
OP has now made the choice of speakers. But an amplifier is needed for them::)

Roland68

Major Contributor
OP
K

kaffe

This looks really good and is consistent with what a friend told me. The HDMI connection with the return channel also works without any problems, but that also depends on the television.

Have you already decided on the Lintos? With the original stands?
Yup. The original stands are included in the price (which seems hard to beat sitting at around $ 1,200).

Roland68

Major Contributor
Yup. The original stands are included in the price (which seems hard to beat sitting at around $ 1,200).
I'm really jealous because I really like these vintage 3-way monitors with floor stands.
If you have problems with the bass in your room, please contact me.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I'm no EE or technician, but I like the look of that Leak transformer and capacitors.
Yes, Leak uses really good components in the device, but of course that also costs money.
Put a fan on either of them!:D
That's exactly what you shouldn't do.
Normally, direct and strong convection is undesirable in a HiFi amplifier, especially because it makes a stable operating point/working temperature impossible.
That's why you won't find any or only small cooling openings in many amplifiers, which tend to provide indirect cooling.
But it also depends heavily on the circuit as to how sensitive it is to temperature fluctuations.
If a heatsink on an amplifier is not directly ventilated with large openings, the developer most likely had something in mind.

Further information can be found in countless publications on the subject of "Influence of temperature on the operating point", "Thermal instability", "Compensation measures for temperature drift" etc.
This is a fundamental problem with amplifier circuits, which is why stable working temperatures in a range between 40°-60° are often sought. The fact that these temperatures are not a fundamental problem can be seen in many amplifiers that only need to be overhauled after 20-30 years.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Yes, Leak uses really good components in the device, but of course that also costs money.

That's exactly what you shouldn't do.
Normally, direct and strong convection is undesirable in a HiFi amplifier, especially because it makes a stable operating point/working temperature impossible.
That's why you won't find any or only small cooling openings in many amplifiers, which tend to provide indirect cooling.
But it also depends heavily on the circuit as to how sensitive it is to temperature fluctuations.
If a heatsink on an amplifier is not directly ventilated with large openings, the developer most likely had something in mind.

Further information can be found in countless publications on the subject of "Influence of temperature on the operating point", "Thermal instability", "Compensation measures for temperature drift" etc.
This is a fundamental problem with amplifier circuits, which is why stable working temperatures in a range between 40°-60° are often sought. The fact that these temperatures are not a fundamental problem can be seen in many amplifiers that only need to be overhauled after 20-30 years.
Hmm, it seems like most audio enthusiasts put cooling fans on their AVR's, ostensibly to prolong the lifespan. Denon AVR's get really hot, especially if in an equipment rack.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Hmm, it seems like most audio enthusiasts put cooling fans on their AVR's, ostensibly to prolong the lifespan. Denon AVR's get really hot, especially if in an equipment rack.
I don’t have enough knowledge to determin if active cooling is a good thing. But what most do (or perhaps many would be more accurate), doesn’t prove to me that it is needed or beneficial.

MarcT

Forum Donor
I don’t have enough knowledge to determin if active cooling is a good thing. But what most do (or perhaps many would be more accurate), doesn’t prove to me that it is needed or beneficial.
Okay, well, I have a big Krell power amp that can also be used as a space heater because it runs so hot. I did put a cooling fan on it with the hope that it would prolong its life, but it sounds like it could actually impair its performance.

D

Deleted member 48726

Blowing air on some bias circuit transistors will effectively raise bias current which in turn can burn transistors if it's sensitive enough.

Don't put fans on or in amplifiers not designed with forced air flow.

Top Bottom