• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rudimentary measurements of Boston Acoustics CR57 bookshelf speaker

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Boston Acoustics CR57 came up in the What budget speakers you like to see reviewed? thread. I took some measurements of these speakers in 2015.

These measurements are certainly not the equivalent of a Klippel scan, but may be nonetheless of interest. I do not remember anything about the measurement conditions, though it must have been indoors and the measurement equipment would have been Cross Spectrum calibrated Dayton microphone and Focusrite 2i2 with loopback correction.

I think I played with these speakers with an eye to making an active 3-way with a DSP by the German company Reckhorn. I did not go forward for a variety of reasons

Here is the on axis response:
Boston CR57 SN 13127B on axis FR.png

Listening Window Frequency Response (CEA-2034)
Boston CR57 SN 13127B CEA2034 listening window.png

Horizontal Polar Map
Boston CR57 polar map, factory xover.jpg

Horizontal Polar Map (Normalized to the on axis response)
Boston CR57 tweeter polar map, no xover, normalized to 0deg.jpg

Raw responses of Midwoofer and Tweeter
Boston CR57 SN 13127A raw drivers on axis FR.png

Tweeter Raw Polar Map
Boston CR57 tweeter polar map no xover.jpg

Attachments

• Boston CR57 tweeter no xover.jpg
    Boston CR57 tweeter no xover.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 138

jonfitch

Hey this is nice!

I actually recall specifically on AVSForum in the early 2000s, one model, the Boston Acoustics CR67, was all the rage for several years as the $250 and under champion (I think they were routinely on sale for about $150).

First measurements I've seen of the series. I'd like to pick up a pair of the redwood vinyl or white CR67s but at this point it's pretty hard to find a pair that isn't beaten up to hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom