• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-8 v2 vs Focal Alpha 65 EVO for mid field? Any other options?

Matmah

I have a pair of IK MTMs for my near fields, and I am looking for a second pair of monitors.

The second pair will be more more for listening and just checking things are ok.

I am limited to a 285mm 11 inch width for each speaker so it does rule out the EVO 80. I could make the size work if needed to, but would have to be worth the inconvenience. I would prefer something over 6 inch, just so I have enough bass response.

Critical listening distance is 1.5m/4ft, but people will also listen to them from a sofa at a distance of 3m/10ft.

Budget is about 1000 dollar pounds or less. I don't mind adding a sub now or at a later date. I don't mind used either.

I do use Sonarworks so I don't mind EQing them.

As a wild card and buying used. I have seen that both the Kef R3 and LS50 Meta have fairly flat reponses, but wouldn't know which amp to compliment these with. May also consider a pair of B&Ws, but don't know the range well enough.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I've done informal comparison between IN5 and Kef R3 and except one person most preferred IN5. Very small sampling like 6 people and not scientific. They were level matched and positions swapped but not blind testing. Haven't had any direct comparison with Alpha 65 but many love their Focals.

I would recommend a sub as it allows placement flexibility to get better bass and will fill in that lower octave. Used will definitely give the best value depending what's available.

OP
M

Matmah

I've done informal comparison between IN5 and Kef R3 and except one person most preferred IN5. Very small sampling like 6 people and not scientific. They were level matched and positions swapped but not blind testing. Haven't had any direct comparison with Alpha 65 but many love their Focals.

I would recommend a sub as it allows placement flexibility to get better bass and will fill in that lower octave. Used will definitely give the best value depending what's available.
Thanks for the insight. It is surprising that a pair of speakers that cost a 1/4 of another can give them a run for their money. If Kali produced these in a nicely finished box, they could really be on winner with home users. I personally would have been happy to send another 100 just to get a nicer finish, but i do also understand that they have to compete in an already saturated market.

Even though the R3s were tempting, I decided to go with the IN8s in the end. One of the main reasons being is that the cost of the Kalis plus the WS-12 sub is about the same price as a used pair of R3s. As you mentioned, If i get the sub, then not will it only enhance the 8s, I can also use the system for small parties, BBQs etc.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
One thing that surprised me with that particular comparison is most preferred the looks of the IN5 over the R3. They thought it "looked more expensive". I disagree but this comparison was with the white versions of both. In black the finish on the R3 is definitely nicer, IMHO.
This wasn't how they were set up for comparison just for the picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_141330696.jpg
    PXL_20231108_141330696.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 193
OP
M

Matmah

One thing that surprised me with that particular comparison is most preferred the looks of the IN5 over the R3. They thought it "looked more expensive". I disagree but this comparison was with the white versions of both. In black the finish on the R3 is definitely nicer, IMHO.
Yeah, i'm not a fan of the white R3s, it's only a personal preference but they are just a bit too clinical for me. I am sure they look fantastic in certain rooms though. I'm not sure which color I like best, but I think it's great that KEF are being creative with them.

I did consider getting the white Kalis, but I then I thought about adding some black or oak sides to them, just to break it up a bit. In the end though I played it safe and ordered the black. No other reason except i think they looked better on some youtube videos, and I am planning on ordering the sub. If i saw both in the flesh it may have been different but unfortunately there was nowhere nearby.
Monitors 1380.jpg

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Color definitely depends on decor. I like those drawings. I do think it is smart to have speakers in different finishes like Kef. I doubt Kali will do that as the home market is not their focus, I am a little surprised they offer white.

Ciobi69

What difference did you find between the in 5 and the kef?

Ciobi69

Yeah, i'm not a fan of the white R3s, it's only a personal preference but they are just a bit too clinical for me. I am sure they look fantastic in certain rooms though. I'm not sure which color I like best, but I think it's great that KEF are being creative with them.

I did consider getting the white Kalis, but I then I thought about adding some black or oak sides to them, just to break it up a bit. In the end though I played it safe and ordered the black. No other reason except i think they looked better on some youtube videos, and I am planning on ordering the sub. If i saw both in the flesh it may have been different but unfortunately there was nowhere nearby.
View attachment 344125
You could wrap it ,very easy to do like that

Ellebob

Forum Donor
What difference did you find between the in 5 and the kef?
They are both good but the comments were the IN5 was more "dynamic and better bass punch" the R3 sounded "dull" in comparison. Both have good tonality and both were good with vocals/midrange were general comments.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

View attachment 344125
Awesome.

In the picture the rightmost one looks a bit like it got anthracite sides added. Could be the lighting but it makes them look very classy indeed.

OP
M

Matmah

Color definitely depends on decor. I like those drawings. I do think it is smart to have speakers in different finishes like Kef. I doubt Kali will do that as the home market is not their focus, I am a little surprised they offer white.
I think with the increase of home studios and atmos systems, monitor companies do have to keep home use in mind. I also think with Kalis price point, their main market is the home user.

It would be nice to see companies follow in ATC, Focal and PMC footsteps and release some wood finished models. It might be more difficult for companies like Kali though which are using plastic fronts.

OP
M

Matmah

Awesome.

In the picture the rightmost one looks a bit like it got anthracite sides added. Could be the lighting but it makes them look very classy indeed.
I was planning on using a textured vinyl from Amazon, so I probably got it from there. I would have either gone for black or anthracite depending on how light the drivers were.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I think with the increase of home studios and atmos systems, monitor companies do have to keep home use in mind. I also think with Kalis price point, their main market is the home user.

It would be nice to see companies follow in ATC, Focal and PMC footsteps and release some wood finished models. It might be more difficult for companies like Kali though which are using plastic fronts.
Much of their market is the home studio but not the living room. It would be nice if Kali and other manufacturers offered finishes that would go with more living areas of the home.

Not, only would finishes need to be different for the home but so would connections and features. HDMI ARC, BT, network, remote and app control, etc

b**tlover

How did you find SM-5 (on your photo!) comparing with IN-5 and KEF? Not much info and reviews about them

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The SM-5 is in a different leasgue than the IN-5 or Kef R3. Immediately noticeable when listening. I'd like to hear it compared to a Genelec 8341. Aesthetics a little more industrial than the others. Cabinet is much more solid but it has the 4 screw holes on the top and bottom of the speakers ready to be mounted.

b**tlover

The SM-5 is in a different leasgue than the IN-5 or Kef R3. Immediately noticeable when listening. I'd like to hear it compared to a Genelec 8341. Aesthetics a little more industrial than the others. Cabinet is much more solid but it has the 4 screw holes on the top and bottom of the speakers ready to be mounted.
How do you amplify them? LEA?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Lea Connect 164 amp. You can use itwithout the amp but definitely sounds better with it.

Top Bottom