• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Aura 2 review by ErinsAudioCorner

Matt_Holland

Yeah, somebody delete his final thought...lol
Why? The subjective impressions of a speakers alongside the full data is what makes the review more interesting. Erin balances this very well I think. As does Amir who offers his subjective thoughts in every review. Whatever someone’s subjective opinion, it doesn’t undermine the data. That’s the key, but it’s what people think that is just, if not sometimes more, interesting.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matt_Holland

Why? The subjective impressions of a speakers alongside the full data is what makes the review more interesting. Erin balances this very well I think. As does Amir who offers his subjective thoughts in every review. Whatever someone’s subjective opinion, it doesn’t undermine the data. That’s the key, but it’s what people think that is just, if not sometimes more, interesting.
However, if you want to hear Peter is full “audiophile” appeasing cliche mode, Check this out

mj30250

Almost perfect speaker.

Vertical directvity being too narrow kills it.

I wish they had a dome tweeter version of this.
The top end is narrower than most domes, but not by a dramatic amount. As long as you're seated and not using the speakers in the extreme nearfield, it should be perfectly fine. If you're up and walking around, then yeah, the treble is going to drop off quickly. If that's a common use case, you probably want a coaxial anyway.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i was being hyperbolic, sorry.... :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember that narrow directivity is a goal of some speakers. Maybe not this specific model, but there can be some value.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-case-for-lcr-speakers-with-the-old-thx-uitra-specs….3231214/

geox

The top end is narrower than most domes, but not by a dramatic amount. As long as you're seated and not using the speakers in the extreme nearfield, it should be perfectly fine. If you're up and walking around, then yeah, the treble is going to drop off quickly. If that's a common use case, you probably want a coaxial anyway.
fair enough. too bad the only mainstream choice is Kef and could use some competition

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
fair enough. too bad the only mainstream choice is Kef and could use some competition

Don't forget Elac:

And Mofi:

Bleib

Major Contributor

Beave

Major Contributor
The KEF R3 Meta - which to me is a fairly large bookshelf/standmount speaker - looks pretty small in comparison to the other three in his video.

I didn't realize how big the MoFi SourcePoint 8 is!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost perfect speaker.

Vertical directvity being too narrow kills it.

I wish they had a dome tweeter version of this.
Keep in mind too that narrow vertical directivity is arguably a good thing, especially for non-coaxials. In a typical speaker the vertical reflections are much more tonally disparate from the direct sound and therefore have the most negative effect on the sound. So what you lose in vertical sweetspot you do gain in other aspects of sound quality. I'd wager consistency within +/- 10-15 degrees is probably good enough for most uses where you're really paying attention to the sound.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind too that narrow vertical directivity is arguably a good thing, especially for non-coaxials. In a typical speaker the vertical reflections are much more tonally disparate from the direct sound and therefore have the most negative effect on the sound. So what you lose in vertical sweetspot you do gain in other aspects of sound quality. I'd wager consistency within +/- 10-15 degrees is probably good enough for most uses where you're really paying attention to the sound.

I’m not sure I agree there. I go back to the OG THX speakers, when narrow verticals was a big part of the spec so most of them had a line of domes. All of them that I heard (ok, KEF and Snell) sounded off in the treble IMO.

Also, I wonder if the NFS and fixed distance measurements correctly capture vertical directivity of long tweeters. The points captured don’t vary much in distance from the speaker. I’ve always subjectively found long tweeters to fare worse in the “sit-stand test” than calculated verticals would suggest. At a 10’ listening distance the theoretical vertical listening window of a point source with 20 degree directivity is about 3.5’ if my math is right. Yet I’ve subjectively found - never measured, admittedly - treble disappears with long tweeters when you move up much less than that. But narrow horns aren’t as bad in that respect (though I’ve never used one that narrow).

Top Bottom