• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Hate clickbait titles like that. It seems every second there is another like that. This whole monetization business drives creators to make so many of these.

OK, here we go again. Amir seems indifferent to how much money his YT vids make. Others may still have to hustle for their supper, as distasteful as that might seem to the more financially comfortable.

I'm so used to titles like "X DESTROYS Y!!!"*, even from channels that are otherwise judicious in their actual content, that this does not register as clickbait to me at all.

* As a rule, X never actually "destroys" Y or vice versa.

prestigetone

Hate clickbait titles like that. It seems every second there is another like that. This whole monetization business drives creators to make so many of these.
This is a question I have wanted to know and even thought about messaging Erin about because he has reviewed a lot of great speakers. Actives included. Some that dont make the rounds to other places let alone get measured. That is the least attention grabbing title I can think of, moreover I like that he didnt say he would pick just one but they would do well in different spaces. I wish he had spent more time on each set.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the list. I see barely 2-3 possible competitors on that list.
I guessed correctly on 4 of the 5 speakers beforehand based on how much of an impression I remember the speakers had on Erin in his reviews.

The lack of quality contenders and the raving in the reviews make this list easy to believe there's no fishy business going on here.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've followed Erin for a couple of years now and his intentions certainly seem honest enough. He invested over $100,000 of his own money into a robot that measures other peoples' speakers. If you totaled the views from every monetized YouTube video he's ever published, would the gross revenue total even 10% of that? I doubt it. He enjoys a minute fraction of the views that many of the "big" audiophile channels do...you know, the ones that offer practically zero objective information outside of what can be quickly pulled from a manufacturer's marketing materials.

Then there's the significant hours of Erin's time that's spent in coordinating speaker shipments, performing a battery of Klippel measurements for each speaker, recording and editing each video, writing up the website articles, etc, etc ,etc. People can believe what they wish, but I certainly don't see the goal of the channel as some sort of profit center.

And with all due respect to Amir, the title of this video doesn't pass muster as click-bait to me. Click-bait implies some level of deception, and IMHO the content of the video delivered on the title just fine.

Here you go:

To me he clearly is a decent source of info, I'm never gonna base my view of his content on revenue, well at least until he generates billions ...

Opal

Disagree with you on this one. He starts his title with 'My" which clearly states that this would be his own opinion video. And what is wrong with telling people his Top 5 after he reviewed near hundreds of them. FYI he shot this video because he had a QnA recently and people kept asking him what is his favourite speaker.

Please use kinder words on people who actually value add to your site massively like Erin. Even if he has to monetize this whats wrong? His money doesnt drop from the sky to support this hobby.

YSC

Major Contributor
And personally, I do like youtubers get enough revenue to sustain themselves and not influenced by the sponsors as in the magazines era, if they can earn enough that they don't mind picking on flaws on products on a factual basis, we do benefit from those information. Better watch the click bait videos and see if the flaw is actually that big than reading some singing praise for everything sent for review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, here we go again. Amir seems indifferent to how much money his YT vids make. Others may still have to hustle for their supper, as distasteful as that might seem to the more financially comfortable.
As a heavy user of youtube videos, I am more than happy to see people using it to make money. Without it, much of this content would not exist. Sadly the platform algorithm and motivation to make money force content creators to make fluff videos with clickbait titles as we see here. It is not like these 5 speakers were reviewed in this video for the first time. Those videos were created before and attempt here is to rehash to get more clicks, etc. So I call it that and indirectly show my displeasure for our platform to be used in that regard.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

joentell

Reviewer
To me, clickbait is when a content creator over promises on their thumbnail and/or title, and they don't deliver on that promise. Another is when they deliver, but it isn't worth the time spent watching the video.

If the viewer walks away, happy, that's a good thing. There's also such thing as making valuable content that doesn't get clicked on because the title or thumbnail isn't catchy enough. That's just the game that YouTube has created. If they don't click, they don't watch. I hate that it's that way and I'm not great at playing the game myself. I refuse to do the gaping-mouth-open-surprised-look no matter how many views that will get me.

This guy explains it well

I've done top 5 lists. They are the lowest effort videos for me, yet they get the most views. Does that say more about me or about the audience? Or maybe moreso about the YouTube algorithm.

I figure you gotta give people what they want once in a while. And it makes sense. If someone isn't really interested in learning all there is to know about loudspeakers, all they want to do is buy the best speaker at a given price, it's useful for them to hear from someone who has reviewed more speakers than they likely ever will. They're pressed for time, they don't want to study, and they just want the Cliff notes version. Sure, they should cross-reference and learn how to interpret graphs, but it's helpful for someone who doesn't want to spend the time, as long as the recommendations are good and based on some objective data.

Look, I would rather more people watch the video about why a flat anechoic response makes sense, since then they could figure out for themselves which speakers they should get based on measurements. That's not what happens though. People watch the dumb Top 5 one I did. It has 102K views as opposed to 9K views. All I can do is pepper in some knowledge into the Top 5 list videos. Maybe I should do a "Best of" or "Top 5" thumbnail, but the video would be about objective measurements and psychoacoustic theory! Consider it reverse click bait. "You're welcome!" I wish...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-010835_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629-010835_YouTube.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20230629-010653_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629-010653_YouTube.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 120

tw99

I thought it was a good video, and not clickbait at all. I'd say that clickbait is where the title actively aims to mislead you ("THIS IS REALLY EXCITING") about what's in the video itself "WHICH IS ACTUALLY REALLY BORING". His reviews are much more in depth than Amir's, but still based on good measurements, so what's not to like, really.

geox

As a heavy user of youtube videos, I am more than happy to see people using it to make money. Without it, much of this content would not exist. Sadly the platform algorithm and motivation to make money force content creators to make fluff videos with clickbait titles as we see here. It is not like these 5 speakers were reviewed in this video for the first time. Those videos were created before and attempt here is to rehash to get more clicks, etc. So I call it that and indirectly show my displeasure for our platform to be used in that regard.
It's still useful for someone who doesn't have time to research and study speakers unlike most here. He is one of 3 objective sources on youtube I've come across.(others being James Larson of audioholics and you). I want all of you to succeed and make money.

To me he clearly is a decent source of info, I'm never gonna base my view of his content on revenue, well at least until he generates billions ...
he said in his revel review he doesnt make enough from his youtube vids to cover shipping for speakers.

Jokerbre

Let's not go off topic. If you don't like something, feel free to open a topic. Back to the topic of this interesting video that is so requested by viewers. Lintons are wonderful to listen to.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your top 5 speakers, regardless of price?
I know the Mission LX-3 MKII didn't measure perfect, but for a good price they are my top most liked speaker. Very relaxed with a strong stereo effect and strong bass for the size. Compined with nice design.
Consider the low cost! :)

They are beaten by my Linton 85 that have the same attributes, but even deeper bass and they can do higher volumes too. But they cost a lot more, so they get second place. Also they look a bit old school.

I can't say i have any other favorites really. ATC, Focal, B&W, i have had many speakers, but only these two are the the ones i really like.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If I needed new passive speakers with a good price-performance ratio, these Lintons would come into consideration. I've had my eye on them for a while and like them a lot. I especially like the classic appearance that also fits well with a fashionable analogue setup.

Chester

Man, some of you guys sure love Erin.

He’s just another person who started out doing something as a hobby then realised he could make money from it. I personally don’t love the way he goes about things so tend not to watch his vids.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He’s just another person who started out doing something as a hobby then realised he could make money from it.
...What's wrong with that ? Producing free quality content (what he does) for the Audio community and dare to get rewards from it ?! What a sacrilege ! :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom