• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Aura 2 review by ErinsAudioCorner

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin just reviewed the Wharfedale Aura 2 (3-way bookshelf)
1704390451367.png

Video Review:

Written Review:

1704390262263.png

1704390332664.png

1704390350469.png

1704390314052.png

Discuss!

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
I hate that kind of extremely narrow directivity, in practice this makes listening quite annoying. It's easy to tell just by looking at it too.
Otherwise very well performing speaker though.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's still a nice surprise for 2000 Euros ...

Last edited:

DearSX

He had a lot of great things to say about it, I'm going to check out the data and wait for the PS score. Looks like another great speaker. A friend of mine has the Aura 1 and he prefers it over Polk Reference and PSB Revela bookshelves

Daverz

Major Contributor
I hate that kind of extremely narrow directivity, in practice this makes listening quite annoying. It's easy to tell just by looking at it too.
The vertical contour plots seem pretty typical for non-coaxial designs, but I would worry about where the tweeter height ends up with my current stands. The horizontal dispersion is very wide.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Interesting how the tweeter beams both horizontally and vertically. Careful positioning and aiming seem to be required. I very much dislike those properties of AMT tweeters. (I have not watched the video yet.)

From the posted graphs, other than availability, I do not see a reason to choose this over the Philharmonic BMR.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Strange that the preference score is so high with that narrow directivity.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange that the preference score is so high with that narrow directivity.
Narrow directivity helps the score, correlation (r , r^2 ) is part of the score, and the more the PIR is slopped that thus means there is a higher correlation between frequency and dB, boosting the score. It’s one of the quirks of the calculation (I assume only dome tweeters were used in the creation of the score so this issue never came up).

RobL

Does Wharfedale have a Klippel NFS?
Anyone know?
They have an anechoic chamber. From their website:
Dovedale is built in the home of British Hi-Fi at Wharfedale’s UK headquarters in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire. Incorporating key manufacturing, assembly and finishing processes for specially selected products in addition to the R&D function already located there. A 9,000ft2 production facility has been added to the existing building, including a new anechoic chamber, making a total of 25,000ft2 of office, lab and manufacturing space. It is here that Dovedale is manufactured by highly trained, vastly experienced loudspeaker experts.

tw 2022

What I'd like to know is: when does the Evo 4.2 get klippel'd ?.... Tell me no one else has thoughts in the same vein....with these & the Linton doing so well we gotta see what the other 3 way measures like....

Penelinfi

Half the price of Elysian. I wonder what the differences would be; better mid and woofer + cabinet I assume. Maybe there's also upcharge for "made in UK"?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It holds up remarkably well up to 7khz though, so you're only going to miss a bit of sizzle and sparkle if you sit outside of the sweet spot. I for one was actually impressed to see the directivity even power response, and how they massaged it by having a rising on-axis response. So in practice I think they'd sound OK off-axis and maybe too bright on-axis. $2500/pair for these isn't crazy if you happen to be a ribbon fan.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
The BMR with RAAL maintains wide horizontal dispersion all the way up to 20kHz, whereas the dispersion from this Wharfedale AMT starts to narrow considerably around 7kHz. Which is better is hard to say and probably depends on room acoustics and personal preferences and source material.

The vertical dispersion of this Wharfedale, meanwhile, is remarkably similar to the vertical dispersion of the Philharmonic BMR. Even the "eyes" from the crossover are similar.

Source: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/philharmonic_bmr_v2/

specs

Beave

Major Contributor
This is a large standmount speaker. 22" tall, 11" wide, 16" deep, and 45 pounds each.

Interesting to compare them with the Wharfedale Linton 85th, another large standmount that Erin reviewed favorably:

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/

The Lintons are just a little smaller and weigh about 5 pounds less. The Lintons use a bigger woofer and bigger midrange driver.

Top Bottom