• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin's reviewed hundreds of speakers so far.
His top 5 speakers regardless of price (June 2023):

Erin's top 5 speakers are:
- Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary (review) $1.5k/pair
- Kef Reference 1 Meta (review) $9k/pair
- JBL 4367 (review) $16k/pair
- Dutch & Dutch 8c (review) $12.5/pair
- Revel F226Be (review) $7k/pair

What's your top 5 speakers, regardless of price?
Discuss.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I am still tempted to get the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary just because of the looks.

Triliza

Forum Donor
There is something old-school about the Linton that make them very appealing, like a bottle of old brandy. Not to mention that they are the only one from the list I could possibly afford atm if I were looking for a new speaker.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd gladly change my Linton for Kef Ref 1 meta, but i'm not that rich :) I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of PSB Passif 50. Too bad Erin never measured it.

TimF

Forum Donor
He speaks like an American from the middle south of the country. There is a slight accent. If we presume that Australians have accent(s) relative to those in the central USA, he would be someone I'd pick to contrast with an Australian. Is the presumption among ASR members that Erin is presenting his actual favorites, or that it is likely or possible he is acting as an agent with commercial and marketing intentions? Maybe there is no pure position. Well, we know there is in this world a pure commercial and marketing intention and we are all swamped with that every day.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin is the best reviewer in my opinion. Really gets to the point. He gives his subjective scores up front then backs it up with data. Just seems like an all around great dude.
For sure. I would like to see what he does for a living. If he gets kicks from reviewing speakers like no other ever has his employment contributions must be amazing. :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hate clickbait titles like that. It seems every second there is another like that. This whole monetization business drives creators to make so many of these.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
xD someone asked him (Youtube comments) about the r3 meta, he answer there is the ref1m in the list. I guess, it will be a boring list with two of them

ta240

Major Contributor
Hate clickbait titles like that. It seems every second there is another like that. This whole monetization business drives creators to make so many of these.
It does get annoying that every video is titled "Don't buy X until you see this" or "Top 5..." or "Man eats goldfish, see what happens next". But it is the game they have to play to get views. And it works, because youtube doesn't reward quality content. It is like the news things: "Are pet hamsters deadly??? Stay tuned."

Those are right up there with every thumbnail that has someone pointing at a video behind them with a weird look on their face. Which is in there with the "Look what I built in my shop" videos with the woman with the large, solid rear end prominently in the center of the thumbnail and some woodworking tools in the background.
It probably makes a sad statement about humanity that all these things that are clearly gimmicks work.

Similarly, I've always disliked the term Black Friday but in a marketing comparison on emails once I had a 20% open rate on "Day after Thanksgiving Sale" and a 60% open rate on "Black Friday Sale".

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
u can create a bigger clickbait, '' kef r7meta review ''... and done, so many clicks !

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
I am still tempted to get the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary just because of the looks.
every time I get a catalog with them in it I point them out to my better half and the response is always "but we have speakers..." Somehow saying "but you have boots already" doesn't work the same...

ta240

Major Contributor
u can create a bigger clickbait, '' kef r7/meta review ''... and done, so many clicks !
biggest clickbait ever though has to include "Bose" The plus there is if you can get people arguing in the comments then each time they come back to read more it is another view.

mj30250

He speaks like an American from the middle south of the country. There is a slight accent. If we presume that Australians have accent(s) relative to those in the central USA, he would be someone I'd pick to contrast with an Australian. Is the presumption among ASR members that Erin is presenting his actual favorites, or that it is likely or possible he is acting as an agent with commercial and marketing intentions? Maybe there is no pure position. Well, we know there is in this world a pure commercial and marketing intention and we are all swamped with that every day.

I've followed Erin for a couple of years now and his intentions certainly seem honest enough. He invested over $100,000 of his own money into a robot that measures other peoples' speakers. If you totaled the views from every monetized YouTube video he's ever published, would the gross revenue total even 10% of that? I doubt it. He enjoys a minute fraction of the views that many of the "big" audiophile channels do...you know, the ones that offer practically zero objective information outside of what can be quickly pulled from a manufacturer's marketing materials.

Then there's the significant hours of Erin's time that's spent in coordinating speaker shipments, performing a battery of Klippel measurements for each speaker, recording and editing each video, writing up the website articles, etc, etc ,etc. People can believe what they wish, but I certainly don't see the goal of the channel as some sort of profit center.

And with all due respect to Amir, the title of this video doesn't pass muster as click-bait to me. Click-bait implies some level of deception, and IMHO the content of the video delivered on the title just fine.
It would be useful to include a list of the other speakers that were excluded from the Top 5.

Here you go:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom