• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What in the actual f***? It's clear as day that it's his five personal favorites. He says right at the beginning that these are going to be his favorites regardless of price, making clear it's a thought exercise or wish list, not a "recommended speakers" list. Throughout the video, he could not be clearer that these are the ones he personally prefers - he's very clear about the particular dispersion characteristics he prefers, and he's very clear about what he sees as the usable low frequency extension ability of each speaker, and in the case of the Lintons the one area of non-bass frequency response that he thinks is a little less than ideal.

He's done a ton of videos. This is just one. The fact that he's already reviewed these speakers is literally a nonsense objection since you can't share with people what your favorites are unless you've already reviewed them. And sharing your personal favorites - I'm sorry, but there's no rational argument against that kind of a video unless he's posting that kind of video over and over again every couple of months.

Of course he monetizes his videos - as @VintageFlanker says, the videos are free to the viewers; so unless he's truly independently wealthy, he has to monetize them. The title, tone, and content of this particular video are all so clearly and obviously different than clickbait audiophile videos, it's silly to even be discussing alleged conflicts of interest or ulterior motives in this situation.

As for the video itself, I found it really interesting, and I appreciated how he went through the dispersion characteristics, frequency response, and so on - it makes it a lot easier to compare than by tracking down and scrubbing through his prior video reviews of each of those speakers and manually trying to compare.

The only request I'd personally make to Erin, for maybe if he does this again next year, would be to split it into two videos, one for his top 3 or 5 actives and one for his top 3 or 5 passives. But that's just personal preference.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please use kinder words on people who actually value add to your site massively like Erin. Even if he has to monetize this whats wrong? His money doesnt drop from the sky to support this hobby.
Putting aside the absolute incorrect claim there of him adding "massive value" to us, you are completely out of line with that comment.

As to monetization, I said nothing about that. He is doing that on another platform. I made a comment that the title of his video and thumbnail screams "clickbait." You must not spend any time on youtube to not recognize it as such. But maybe you do but don't care. But I care. A lot.

For the last few weeks I have been thinking about the most important video on how to get great sound in your room. Every time I considered it, I thought I name it "four things you need to do for great sound in a room." Immediately that made me reconsider that it would come across as pure clickbait. So I have not gone ahead yet. This is how high my standard is as far as not remotely looking like another youtuber wanting to make a buck from you all.

So I suggest you go and visit Erin's channel and donate to his cause. But don't tell me I should be thankful that a purely subjective, clickbait-like video is posted here and should be promoted with open arms. And that I have no business making a comment about it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What in the actual f***? It's clear as day that it's his five personal favorites. He says right at the beginning that these are going to be his favorites regardless of price, making clear it's a thought exercise or wish list, not a "recommended speakers" list. Throughout the video, he could not be clearer that these are the ones he personally prefers - he's very clear about the particular dispersion characteristics he prefers, and he's very clear about what he sees as the usable low frequency extension ability of each speaker, and in the case of the Lintons the one area of non-bass frequency response that he thinks is a little less than ideal.

He's done a ton of videos. This is just one. The fact that he's already reviewed these speakers is literally a nonsense objection since you can't share with people what your favorites are unless you've already reviewed them. And sharing your personal favorites - I'm sorry, but there's no rational argument against that kind of a video unless he's posting that kind of video over and over again every couple of months.
What the "f" indeed. What do you think we run here? A platform to promote other people's monetized subjective opinion with clickbait title to boot? That video was purely created to get more subscribes, donations, etc. Which is fine where it was. Leave it on youtube. But if you bring it here, you better be prepared to hear some of us say the obvious: that said video was purely generated for reasons outside of conveying new data to people. Again, it was perfectly fine where it was posted: youtube. Don't bring it here and then complain if someone says anything negative. This is a purely non-profit site and I will protect that mantel to the N'th degree when other content is introduced which is not inline with that.

Yes, i get it that some of you highly value Erin's content. What you should do is go and donate money to him. Don't try to promote his content here when such promotion smells bad from a mile away. And then act as his bodyguard when the complaints arrive.

Really, this notion that we better say nothing is absurd. For my part, if on my own forum I can't express a simple opinion about a posted video, something seriously, seriously has gone wrong here. For the last few days I have been defending our community in another forum who says you are all a bunch of "minions" that follow whatever I say. I try to set them straight only to come here and read insulting remarks about me here as well. I am tired it of guys. You don't like what I do or say, please use the door and leave. Don't go whining that I should allow any and all monetized content here and no one to be allowed to complain.

I am going to huddle with my mods and see what policy change we need to put in place. Clearly what is there is not working given what I am responding to. :( And yes, the thread will remain closed. And I may choose to delete it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom