• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

bsas

it will drop power by about 40% assuming the RCA outputs deliver 2V max. Power is not volume. you need approx 10x power to perceive a doubling of volume. 40% less power (about 2.2 dB) will typically be perceived as about 11% drop in volume

OK… It will drop the volume by X and X is audible… seriously, I give up trying to help anyone here and being consistently pedantically called out by terminology :(

KSTR

Major Contributor
This we do not know, as there is no information about the input module. Are they regular opamps that amplify the signal, or is it a differential amplifier?
Should not make any difference.

The whole idea of balanced input stage is that it extracts the difference between the (+) and (-) input pins no matter what the signals are on the input, and then re-references its output to the local ground -- this output can be unbalanced or balanced, the latter seems to apply here as the chip needs a signal-symmetric feed at its inputs.

If the PA5 relied on actual signal symmetry at its input and/or does not do the local dereferencing that would be a major design fail which I hope will not be the case here... but so far nobody has examined this. The use of a four-gang pot is somewhat suspicions, though.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This we do not know, as there is no information about the input module. Are they regular opamps that amplify the signal, or is it a differential amplifier?
It doesn't matter. The amplifier applies a gain of around 19dB from input volt to output volt. With a 2.6V input, and the gain of the amp, it outputs full power (just before clipping - or perhaps at the 1%thd level - I'd need to check to be sure).

That is irrespective of amplifier topology - we simply don't need to know that in order to understand what input voltage is required.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, Single ended input, so it is still a really sweet 20W amp. :p
50W -40% is 30W. And that well below the clipping level, so very clean. You still seem hung up on 20 :cool: :p

Oh, and if you have a single ended device that can ouput 2.6V, it is still 50W. ;)

Lambda

Major Contributor
OK… It will drop the volume by X and X is audible…
No.
being consistently pedantically called out by terminology
No its not about terminology or being pedantically. You got it completely Wrong.
Balanced or not will not change the volume at all.

I'm just going by the instructions and specs per the user manual. Ask Topping what they think it means.
Hint it is not what you think it means.
Lines carrying symmetric signals (those with equal amplitudes but opposite polarities on each leg) are often incorrectly referred to as "balanced", but this is actually differential signaling. Balanced lines and differential signaling are often used together, but they are not the same thing. Differential signaling does not make a line balanced, nor does noise rejection in balanced cables require differential signaling.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK… It will drop the volume by X and X is audible… seriously, I give up trying to help anyone here and being consistently pedantically called out by terminology :(
The problem with using the wrong terminology, is you misinform others.

There is a huge difference between a volume drop of 50% and a volume drop of 11% - one might not buy the amp on the basis of one, and not be bothered much on the basis of the other.

jmillar

The size ratio of amp vs. power supply looks a bit crazy :).

Considering power supply, is this combination of 38V 4A used also with some other electronics, or is it unusual rating specific to this amp?
To nitpick a bit, I don't see efficiency numbers at Topping power bricks, is it not compulsory at least for EU market?

PS: all you folks screaming for teardown two seconds after review, I know you don't mean it, but it sometimes seems like Topping/John is some DIY/opensource buddy from your neighborhood without will/right for at least some amount of intellectual property.. should't he publish all the technical documentation right now for us and Topping rivals? :facepalm: :)
Its about 160 V/A, that roughly matches its top power both channels driven. A bit close to the ragged edge.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its about 160 V/A, that roughly matches its top power both channels driven. A bit close to the ragged edge.
Are you planning on replying to one post on every page of this thread? If so, you might be here a while. :p

DanielT

Major Contributor
What is the point of going around saying it's a 20w amp if you're not going to explain why?
I only follow this thread occasionally, with what then 20W? The effect Amir has measured so, .que?

I do not understand this long thread about PA5. It is obviously a really good amplifier for its effect it can produce. Really affordable, that related to performance.Just thinking about features and lack of remote control is something that prevents a purchase. Otherwise, it's just buy and be happy.:)

If it has enough effect, you can check here:
(I know you researched it, see it more as a general tip)

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-13_00-02-10.png
    shot_2022-01-13_00-02-10.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 80
  • shot_2022-01-13_00-02-37.png
    shot_2022-01-13_00-02-37.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 79

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand your question. o.o
effect is a mistranslation (I think) from Swedish. Meaning power.

I paraphrase (apologies to Daniel):

"What the hell are (people) going on about 20W. Amir has measured the power here"

:)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't understand your question. o.o
Sorry, it went a little wrong. :)

Power as:
effect is a mistranslation (I think) from Swedish. Meaning power.

I paraphrase (apologies to Daniel):

"What the hell are (people) going on about 20W. Amir has measured the power here"

:)

...mentioned. Thanks Tony:)

It's not that bad, but now I got the opportunity to post a song that I recently discovered that I think is good.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom