• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 vs Topping PA5 II - Objectivist considerations

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion you won't be able to tell the difference between either amp. I have a lowly Purifi Eigentact to drive my LS 50 Metas and find it perfectly transparent at 104 db Sinad, so I'm not trading up to either Topping.

My biggest caveat is the LA 90's reputation for unreliability. It's one of. if not the very most, unreliable product(s) Topping sells. Topping does offer some great stuff. I have a A70 Pro headphone amp, and could not be happier. I'm certain if either of those two amps are working properly, they will fulfill your every expectation, but I do have serious reservations about the LA 90, and suggest you read the thread on ASR before pulling the trigger, so you know what you're getting into. If you do decide to buy it, go with a retailer with an easy path for returning it, like Amazon.

Bleib

Major Contributor
In my opinion you won't be able to tell the difference between either amp. I have a lowly Purifi Eigentact to drive my LS 50 Metas and find it perfectly transparent at 104 db Sinad, so I'm not trading up to either Topping.

My biggest caveat is the LA 90's reputation for unreliability. It's one of. if not the very most, unreliable product(s) Topping sells. Topping does offer some great stuff. I have a A70 Pro headphone amp, and could not be happier. I'm certain if either of those two amps are working properly, they will fulfill your every expectation, but I do have serious reservations about the LA 90, and suggest you read the thread on ASR before pulling the trigger, so you know what you're getting into. If you do decide to buy it, go with a retailer with an easy path for returning it, like Amazon.
It does seem that it's mostly the D version some people have a problem with right, and not the original LA90.
With PA5 it's the opposite, the original had problems and the 2nd version is seems far less problematic

Bleib

Major Contributor
And the PA7?
Don't know, PA7 should be similar to PA5 II x2 in design. It's probably quite reliable but obviously some here would rather recommend for instance audiophonics power-amps.
It's hard to determine number of faulty units as the sales numbers are not known

Xibal

What about, if i may ask, the fact that PA5 II is class D and LA90 class AB?Any audible differences regarding those high frequency issues due to power switching?(is that the 5khz and 15khz distortion seen in the graphs?). Please correct me if i'm saying nonsense, thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about, if i may ask, the fact that PA5 II is class D and LA90 class AB?Any audible differences regarding those high frequency issues due to power switching?(is that the 5khz and 15khz distortion seen in the graphs?). Please correct me if i'm saying nonsense, thanks
No, despite audiophool folklore and old wives tales, decent class D designs sound just as good as competent class A/B designs. The high frequency switching products are all filtered and well outside audible range.

Top Bottom