• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 29.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 60.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping PA5 II stereo balanced amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $219 (sale). There is a plus version with higher current power supply for $289.50.
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Amp review.jpg

The fonts are hard to see but there is not much to read anyway. A power input button nicely lets you set trigger setup as well (so another device can power it on). The other switch lets you select between balanced and RCA which lets you use it as a pre-amp in a minimalistic system. I like the red ring around the volume control. There are large slots on each side for cooling (not shown). And regulatory certifications underneath (again, not shown). Back panel is what you expect:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Amp back panel power supply review.jpg

I like that the binding posts are separated allowing for my larger banana plugs to go in there with much more ease than typical desktop amps. As you see, balanced uses 1/4 connectors which are readily available. The external power supply I have is rated for 3.2 amps which I believe qualifies this as the normal version with Plus coming with 4 amp one.

Note: I put my college repairing a ton of power amplifiers. So take my word for it that amplifiers have much higher failure rate than other audio gear. To that end, this is a new amplifier and may have issues. In my testing, I pushed the unit very hard many times into clipping and shut down. A power cycle got it back working again. Heat was spread across the whole case which shows attention to that front. Still, large scale production may show issues that did not occur to my samples. So if you are risk averse, you may want to wait a bit or buy from a supplier that accepts easy returns.

If you are not familiar with these tests, please watch this video on amplifier measurements.

Topping PA5 II Amplilfier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Measurement.png

We expect superb performance from Topping even whey they use chip based class D amplifier and we get it here:
Best desktop stereo cheap amplifier review.png

Best desktop stereo cheap amplifier top review.png

Gain is fairly low but matches what we get out of desktop/modern DACs so not issues there. Using RCA input you actually get more gain:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio RCA Measurement.png

From here on, I will only be using XLR input starting with our SNR:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced SNR Measurement.png

My target for 5 watts is 96 dB or 16 bits and the PA5 II sails way past that. At full power, it reaches provably inaudible noise level even with very sensitive speakers.

A concern with lower cost chip based class D amplifiers is load dependency at higher frequencies. Topping has managed to make that essentially a non-issue:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced frequency response Measurement.png

Distortion is extremely low but rises some at higher frequencies:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Multitone Measurement.png

Which causes some penalty for our 19+20 kHz test but still quite good:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced 19 20 kHz intermoduatlin distortion Measurement.png

Edit: forgot to include crosstalk:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Crosstalk channel seperation Measurement.png

Power sweeps show the excellent levels of noise and distortion:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Power 4 ohm Measurement.png

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Power 8 ohm Measurement.png

Power is healthy for such a small package and lower tier power supply:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced max and peak Power 4 ohm Measurement.png

The amp does get non-linear at higher frequencies which in the context of its very low noise, let's us see how:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Power 4 ohm vs frequency Measurement.png

I was very pleased to see power on and off pop be well below my 1 millivolt threshold:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Power On Off Pop Noise Amp Measurement.png

Finally, the amplifier is stable on power up so no need to leave it on:
Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Warm Up Measurement.png

Conclusions
I am not sure of the motivation for going from PA5 to PA5 II (reliability?) but whatever it is, we have another winner from performance point of view. The unit easily lands in our top 20 best amplifiers tested as far as combination of noise+distortion. I like the heat distribution and load independency. I would personally pay the other $70 and get the plus version but even here, you have good amount of power to drive a couple of bookshelf speakers.

I am happy to recommend the Topping PA5 II stereo amplifier.

Manufacturer SPECIFICATIONS:

Measured: 16.6cm x 12.9cm x 4.1cm
Weight: 680g
Power input PA5 II: DC38V/3.0A (2 pin aviation connector)
PA5 II PIus: DC38V/4.0A (2 pin aviation connector)
Signal inputs: SE(RCA L+R),BAL(TRS L+ R)
Signal output: Speaker terminal (BTL)
Power on & off: by manual/trigger signal
Volume control: Analog Potentiometer
Display: White LED
Standby power consumption: <0.5W
----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited by a moderator:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm the first one to post!! I win!! Looks like a good Class D amp, hopefully they've rectified the previous generation's short comings.

SDC

Pa5iiplus and pa5 use same adapter

pa5ii and pa5iiplus share same pa5ii series board.

So if you have pa5 you can upgrade pa5ii to pa5iiplus.

Few members in Korea are setting up to test this.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully this one is free from reliability issues.

Steve81

Forum Donor
Not a bad looking little amp. Looks like it would be great for my living room rig.

@amirm

Quick question: Is it possible to test power v distortion using a weighted, wide-bandwidth input to give a better idea of performance with real world material? Obviously real world signals change moment to moment and can vary considerably, but seeing how it handles a complex signal would be informative IMHO.

Astrofly

It still amazes me that this company gets the praise it does on this site. I've never seen another example of a company making so many unreliable products and still getting such loyalty from its customers. Hopefully they'll get their act together and actually prove worthy of people's support. To me, this company still seems entirely suspect.

SDC

I expectantly await the teardown! :)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My original has been running fine and I purchased it when they first came out. Only using it for 8ohm tweeters, and I haven't checked it against the original units graphs yet, but any advantage in IMD or distortion in this version for 3-20khz use?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About the same power as the LA90 D, but without its headphone amp like distortion numbers (still great, anyway). Much less expensive as well. Now if they can just keep this one from having a 50 percent failure rate in the field.

As to the gentleman's question of why people keep buying Topping given their reliability isssues, as someone who recently purchased a Topping A 70 Pro Sabre headphone amp/preamp, I can tell exactly why: It's because of their incredibly, stupid good performance when not broken. Easily world class performance. And mine has been completely trouble free for the first six weeks of its use life. So, definitely, I'd buy Topping again, expecially given Amazon's liberal return and refund policies which definitely mitigates the risk of a defective unit.

Also seems the worst QC issues are concentrated on a few offerings, not saying everything else is perfect, but most of their products have not been as problematic as the LA90 D.

Also love their industrial design concepts.

Last edited:

frabor

Incredible specs, now let me dream for 150 Wpc 4R with no reliability issues and about 20% more price.

I like Topping but my first D50s out of the blue one day. I will probably keep getting more gear from them but I will not be on the bleeding edge of the test curve

JonP

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Amp back panel power supply review.jpg

I always wonder on these amps, what is the banana jack spacing?

I am fond of (and have a lot of) the Pomona MDP dual banana plug. (Sorry for the ginormous picture)
1692755252308.png

I find them pretty handy for making a neat, single plug speaker connection, with the fairly common 0.75"/19mm jack spacing. The jacks on my Ayima 07 are sadly too narrow to fit them, wondering if the Topping would...

Music1969

Major Contributor
A concern with lower cost chip based class D amplifiers is load dependency at higher frequencies. Topping has managed to make that essentially a non-issue:
What causes this drop-off in this measurement?

Is it sampling rate chosen of the DA/AD ?

Would be nice for you to show the switching noise, wide band plot, like you sometimes do for amps

Music1969

Major Contributor
With superior reliability this Topping PA5 II will have major market share. Time will tell.

PA3S (balanced in also) has been around for 3 years, still on sale currently, and no reported reliability issues on this forum

So they know how to do a reliable amp

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PA3S (balanced in also) has been around for 3 years, still on sale currently, and no reported reliability issues on this forum

So they know how to do a reliable amp
I suspect as was reported by Topping the potting of the proprietary circuitry led to heat and materials issues and if Topping was not concerned about potting that circuitry the issues would not have arisen for some of the stuff. At the rate that models change I'm not sure potting anything makes any meaningful change to the theft of Topping's intellectual property.

Top Bottom