• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for a 10 year old child bedroom system

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really prefer that he goes his own way. Of course when he tells me he likes whatever i am listening to, i play him more and try to get him interested, but after a couple of hours of fortnite soundtrack i completely loose hope haha

I didn't force them to listen! I just popped some new tracks on every now and again to pique their interest.

Reactions: MCH

3125b

Major Contributor
Something like the iLoud Micro might not be a bad idea, integrated metal grills seem like a good idea from a durability standpoint for a child.

The JBL 104 are worse than the iLoud (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-one-series-104-powered-monitor-review.11076/, disregard the first plot), but they cost less than half as much (129€ vs 289€) and seem ok for that kind of money, certainly better then Eris 3.5 and similar.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to explore a different loudspeaker brand- you've spent enough on Harman...
I can't get over the price/performance value that I've gotten from buying used Revels. I'm done with spending, let alone on another brand. If I were to explore, what other brand would you suggest John? What speakers do you have in your main rig? Your seal of approval just might convince me to open the wallet once again, as Amir influenced my intimal foray into Revel in the first place. (Apologies to OP for being off topic here... again.)

TheWalkman

Transistor radio. (Worked great for me!)

1697372845805.jpeg

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Have you checked out Vanatoo? I love my Transparent Zero Plus setup. They have a sub out, BT, lots of ways to adjust tone (or not, they sound great out of the box), and are TINY, which means if he loses interest you can find a use for them somewhere...

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Have you checked out Vanatoo? I love my Transparent Zero Plus setup. They have a sub out, BT, lots of ways to adjust tone (or not, they sound great out of the box), and are TINY, which means if he loses interest you can find a use for them somewhere...

thanks, digital inputs (to add a rpi streamer anytime) and bluetooth built in at the same price than the Adam and JBL.

Curiously amazon.de only sells the "Clear Zero", that i assume are the Transparent Zero and the Zero + is nowhere to be found where i live.
Added to the list.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ILoud Micros would be a good choice for a child. Relatively cheap with Bluetooth connectivity that makes it a snap to stream music from a phone/tablet. They also have rca in’s for whatever else you wish. They sound excellent, and won’t play loud enough he could damage his hearing. I actually bought a pair for my son in university and he loves that they take up so little space in his apartment.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Say max 500eur.

Sonos Era 300. One box with side firing speakers for some stereo. Can let him work UP to buying the second one if he wants. Does Bluetooth but also Atmos music if that becomes the future. Has a line in option as well (requiring dongle)

IMG_9910.png

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He listens mostly stuff he finds in YouTube or the sound from his Nintendo switch, everything via Bluetooth, and I don't think this is going to change any time soon. So Bluetooth is a must.
Maybe just as importantly, where does he listen? If he likes to roam about the house, then it's possible that a desktop-anything will not get a lot of love right now.

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Maybe just as importantly, where does he listen? If he likes to roam about the house, then it's possible that a desktop-anything will not get a lot of love right now.
We have that covered :)
IMG_20231015_175211.jpg

But more and more often he gets in his bedroom and blasts the JBL flip

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hi,
This Xmas we want to get my son his first desktop audio setup:

We are thinking on a pair of active speakers, that's why I post this in the speakers section.

He listens mostly stuff he finds in YouTube or the sound from his Nintendo switch, everything via Bluetooth, and I don't think this is going to change any time soon. So Bluetooth is a must.

Surprisingly, he doesn't like subwoofers, so not necessary. I would still prefer to have a future proof sub out, but not strictly necessary.

Now he uses an old JBL flip of mine that still goes strong and I thought of just getting a newer bigger one that he can also take out, but the mother doesn't like this option.

No multiple boxes, he would not bother and would continue using the JBL. I guess a Bluetooth receiver that can be always on + regular active speakers would be ok.

Space is very limited, must be small.

I was thinking on a Kef LSX kind of thing, but they go at 750 eur currently and wanted to find something cheaper.

So basically my question is what would be a cheaper alternative to kef LSX that is still decent so he can use them for many years. Say max 500eur.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Ah, we are in Europe.
For a ten-year-old, why not build something together with father or grandfather, made by::) ;)

You just add amplifiers with, for example, bluetooth, etc., and they become active.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop treating him like a kid: Think, in a few years, he's going get opiniated about everything and those cheezy speakers you are thinking to gift him will be great chat starter with his buddies.
Shop with him for a pair of 'heirloom' speakers that you'd be proud to own yourself.
Better yet, take him out/go audition some speakers together and have him make his own decisions (w/tutelage by YOU).;)

Top Bottom