• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best low profile desktop (active) speaker?

Dreborn

so i want to put a small set of speakers underneath my monitors that are on monitor arms. i dont have room for a full size active speaker like the Klipsch Fives, Focals, Kef's, etc. Was thinking of the creative pebble but is there anything "higher end" that could work? would the razer's be better? love some advice and possible "audiophile'ish" desktop speakers that are still small in stature =)

this is not for any high end serious listening but still need SOME good sound =) appreciate any advice!

OP
D

Dreborn

i ordered a pair of the Vanatoo Zero+ and ill prolly order a pair of the new creative pebble x -- ill report back!

i wish i had room for the lsx2's =(

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
i ordered a pair of the Vanatoo Zero+ and ill prolly order a pair of the new creative pebble x -- ill report back!

I had the Pebble Pros before the Vanatoos. Just make sure you plug them into the wall, and are not just using power over USB. They don't get loud enough for music without the extra wattage from AC power.

staticV3

Master Contributor
great question! 5" would be ideal but i could prolly do 7-7.5" (i mean we all wish more people said that)
Here's a list of compact monitors that are worth looking into:

That being said-
i ordered a pair of the Vanatoo Zero+
-looks like you've already made your choice.

OP
D

Dreborn

I had the Pebble Pros before the Vanatoos. Just make sure you plug them into the wall, and are not just using power over USB. They don't get loud enough for music without the extra wattage from AC power.
appreciate ya

OP
D

Dreborn

Here's a list of compact monitors that are worth looking into:

That being said-

-looks like you've already made your choice.
well my choice for now! haven't tried them out yet

napfkuchen

... ill prolly order a pair of the new creative pebble x -- ill report back!
For the desk setup at my workplace I had the Creative Pebble V3 for a while. The "X" model shares the disadvantages of a single driver speaker and seems to be very pricy for such a design. Found the Edifier Lune E25 as a replacement which are only 12,2 cm (about 5") wide so they don't need that much desk space. Used prices are sometimes even lower than 100 Euro (I paid 75 Euro). Bluetooth connectivity and a remote are also nice features.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor

appreciate ya
Actually, the new X version has a good deal more power from usb (and AC) and larger drivers, so who knows? I am also a little curious about the X+ version with the tiniest little "subwoofer" I've ever seen (that should fit almost anywhere)!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Don't discount a good 2.1. Kali INF-UNF comes to mind, assuming you still have space for the sub on the desk. Oh, looks like I wasn't the first one:
T0+ look decent as well:
They could do with more of a waveguide for the tweeter (it's not matched very well) but I guess achieving minimum driver spacing was a higher priority for a nearfield application.

OP
D

Dreborn

just got the vanatoo plus' so we shall see! also ordered the new creatiive pebble plus' as well to compare

OP
D

Dreborn

soooo i tested a few speakers.

1. vanatoo zero + (they were shipped DOA and i really didn't like their design anyways)
2. pebble x (pictured)
3. razer nomno v2 pro 2.1
4. Kef LS50 2
5. Kef LSX II
6. Klipsch The Fives

so obviously vanatoo was a big miss and could just be a random bad batch but the packaging, build quality and design really didn't do it for me.

pebble are laptop $100 speakers and prolly the "best" for $100 but the sound is so tinny, light, and fuzzy compared to speakers i am used to (not fair since they are up against some titans)

razer (shocker, i love these). was not expecting it but for $400 wow i love these things. they legit sound like quality speakers. i enjoy listening to them. i highly highly suggest you give them a listen.

kef ls50 2: amazing speakers, i dont PERSONALLY think they are worth the price but they are great speakers

LSX 2: baby bro of ls50 and better value IMO just overkill in close desktop setting IMO

Klipsch Fives: i love these guys. super warm and enveloping. they are just super large and takes up large part of desk

for my money, these razers are killer. and a special shout out to their packaging and instructions. almost apple level quality.

anyhoo, as a self described sick audiophile color me very impressed with these Razer's. they deserve more credit. I wouldn't spend 2k more on the Kef's for close up desktop listening. obviously if you wanted to fill an entire room and want that super detailed quality sound, Kef is your move. but for comptuer desktop speakers under $500? these razers are awesome. i also love the form factor and wireless puck.

my two cents!

Attachments

• IMG_0297 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0297 (Medium).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 65

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Kali LP-UNF I have at my desk and have compared to my LSX II and they are pretty close with LSX being better. But to even come close for $300 says a lot. They also lose in aesthetics against the LSX but if you don't mind basic black boxes they are good value for the performance.

Top Bottom