• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for a 10 year old child bedroom system

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
This Xmas we want to get my son his first desktop audio setup:

We are thinking on a pair of active speakers, that's why I post this in the speakers section.

He listens mostly stuff he finds in YouTube or the sound from his Nintendo switch, everything via Bluetooth, and I don't think this is going to change any time soon. So Bluetooth is a must.

Surprisingly, he doesn't like subwoofers, so not necessary. I would still prefer to have a future proof sub out, but not strictly necessary.

Now he uses an old JBL flip of mine that still goes strong and I thought of just getting a newer bigger one that he can also take out, but the mother doesn't like this option.

No multiple boxes, he would not bother and would continue using the JBL. I guess a Bluetooth receiver that can be always on + regular active speakers would be ok.

Space is very limited, must be small.

I was thinking on a Kef LSX kind of thing, but they go at 750 eur currently and wanted to find something cheaper.

So basically my question is what would be a cheaper alternative to kef LSX that is still decent so he can use them for many years. Say max 500eur.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Ah, we are in Europe.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
An LSX II is a great choice. It has streaming capability, a lot of connections (Optical, USB, HDMI...), they're compact and has good extension for the size.

If his preferences change, it is easy to add a subwoofer. Plus, they will not feel "lacking" in the short term.

They're expensive, but pay once, cry once.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Cheap and cheerful: https://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_104_bt_white.htm (The non-BT version were the first monitors I bought, I still use them in the bedroom for TV and background music)

Middleweight contender: https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_iloud_micro_mon.white_edition.htm

I like to bend the budget: https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8010_ap.htm (would need to add something for Bluetooth - Wiim Mini?)
Oh wow, didn't know about the first two, thanks a lot, I will have a look at them

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
An LSX II is a great choice. It has streaming capability, a lot of connections (Optical, USB, HDMI...), they're compact and has good extension for the size.

If his preferences change, it is easy to add a subwoofer. Plus, they will not feel "lacking" in the short term.

They're expensive, but pay once, cry once.
Yes, that would be my approach as well, the problem is that at this age, you really don't know if they will be using them at all in 6 months time. I would cry twice if they end up collecting dust until they are outdated. And at that price, you can buy a very decent bicycle that he will be needing some time soon as well.
Though decisions! :D thanks!!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You can re-purpose them somewhere else. ;)

Reactions: MCH

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh wow, didn't know about the first two, thanks a lot, I will have a look at them

Don't expect miracles from the JBLs, the non-BT version was one of the first speakers Amir measured on the Klippel...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can re-purpose them somewhere else. ;)
Ah, but you can take the iLouds on holiday...

1697361471117.png

Ellebob

Forum Donor
With BT
iLoud Micro
Mackie CR series (different sizes)
Kanto
Edifier
Audio engine

External BT
Kali
JBL
Adam
KRK
Behringer
Yamaha

Probably many others but a lot of consumer BT speakers I am not thinking of.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW - My 11 year old is using my old Creative Labs speakers with a subwoofer. His PC is connected directly to the speakers. He has an HDMI switchbox and audio extractor connecting his Xbox and Switch (it its dock) to his monitor with the audio going to the Aux in on the speakers. He might get my Tannoy Reveal 402's at some point, but they're a bit big for this current desk.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
FWIW - My 11 year old is using my old Creative Labs speakers with a subwoofer. His PC is connected directly to the speakers. He has an HDMI switchbox and audio extractor connecting his Xbox and Switch (it its dock) to his monitor with the audio going to the Aux in on the speakers. He might get my Tannoy Reveal 402's at some point, but they're a bit big for this current desk.
True, forgot about the switch HDMI, but he uses it handheld only for the moment. But will take it into account in case.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Indirect self present... good strategy :)
Precisely. Ever needed a nice system for the kitchen while you cook? ;)

I thought of the LSX II because I want to get them for my mother's studio room to replace an aging system. The convenience of having streaming, no extra boxes (unless you add CD, a turntable...), the capacity to use them with an arc/earc TV, or easily plug a computer is quite convenient.

The only elements I miss is the option to add Dirac or go multichannel, but I guess KEF could work around that with a software update it they wanted.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, forgot about the switch HDMI, but he uses it handheld only for the moment. But will take it into account in case.

Also, don't forget about the music. I made Spotify playlists for both of mine, with a wide range of well produced tracks, both old a new, so they have a fairly rounded 'education'.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I went full active subs, floorstanders and decent amplification for my two boys in their bedrooms, one had Denon DJ CDJs, power amps and a mixer and the other just had CD/Mp3 and phone/ integrated.

They used to have "subwoofer wars" room to room and lots of seriously loud, distorted and extreme bass/music (if you can call it that).

It was all planned to keep them away from my system. And it worked...Phew...

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
i am leaning towards these two now, none has bluetooth, but both have rca input so an added bluetooth receiver should work fine and easy. What do you guys think? both reviewed here and pricewise unbeatable. any other similar to add to the bunch?
1697371370822.png

the Adam T7V, even cheaper than the T5V reviewed here, i am assuming that it sould be at least as good as the little brother. But maybe too big?:
1697371470480.png

t5v vs t7v:

1697371562514.png

the adam t7v really seems a steal, am i missing something???

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Also, don't forget about the music. I made Spotify playlists for both of mine, with a wide range of well produced tracks, both old a new, so they have a fairly rounded 'education'.
I really prefer that he goes his own way. Of course when he tells me he likes whatever i am listening to, i play him more and try to get him interested, but after a couple of hours of fortnite soundtrack i completely loose hope haha

Top Bottom