• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggest a budget sub!

Guralex

Hi folks!

Some time ago after moving to KEF LS50 I understood that subwoofer is a really nice-to-have option for these speakers especially while occasionally using them to play games/watch video.
Having a tough budget and a desire "to manage everything as smooth as it can be" I've found a superb deal on Jamo 808 for something around 150 bucks new.

Can say that it's tiny, it's cheap but it made the job done, so no complains. However, now I have an opportunity to sell that bad boy and buy something more reliable.
Unfortunately, having no chance to listen and compare, I have to make a blind decision.

The budget is ~300 bucks. The requirements... well:
- The room is small, so it shouldnt be that powerful
- Compact form factor is also appreciated
- Its sound signature should be shifted more to details and texture of bass, than to the "deepness"
- It should at least try to match the design of LS 50 (black and bronze) :)

For now I'm looking at something like Klipsch R110, but rear-facing phase port frustrates me a little bit (the room is small and walls are concrete).
Another deal I see right now is Polk Audio HTS 10 - looks nice, have a down-facing port (so hopefully a better distribution) and is available for a nice price tag.
There are also a lot of deals on aftermarket to consider, but I just need a direction "what to look for/what to ask". Jamo was a brainless deal, but the next sub should at least be a meaningful purchase.

Any feedback/suggestions are highly appreciated
Peace!

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
jbl 550p(when on sale) is the only sub i can think of right off that's worth the $300 investment ..edit: i'm not sure you have access to jbl sales...

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin made a video about budget subs. I would recommend the Jamo C912 Sub, the Elac SUB1010 or the Polk PSW10. These are all in your budget, often on sale too.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
For now I'm looking at something like Klipsch R110, but rear-facing phase port frustrates me a little bit (the room is small and walls are concrete).
As long as you leave some space between the sub & wall, that shouldn't be a problem. At 100Hz, the wavelength is about 10-feet and wavelengths get longer as you go down in frequency.

fritobugger

Given that the LS50 are pretty decent speakers, I'd save up another $150 and buy something from the SVS outlet. You can usually find some good deals there on subs in the $400 to $500 range. This assumes you are in the USA

OP
G

Guralex

Given that the LS50 are pretty decent speakers, I'd save up another $150 and buy something from the SVS outlet. You can usually find some good deals there on subs in the $400 to $500 range. This assumes you are in the USA
could you suggest some exact models?
Unfortunately, I'm in Ukraine and logistics for such a massive component will cost a lot
However, 400-500 range is not a problem, so will try to search for SVS

thanks!

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I'm in Ukraine and logistics for such a massive component will cost a lot

thanks!
It really doesn't have to be SVS. It's just that those are well tested and measured choices, you really can't go wrong with them. Expensive in Europe.

Just look what is available to you in your price range and see if you can find measurements online.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This might be of some use in helping you make a decision : (Many thanks to @sweetchaos for providing this great reference resource)

OP
G

Guralex

This might be of some use in helping you make a decision : (Many thanks to @sweetchaos for providing this great reference resource)

wow! many thanks!

fritobugger

thanks!
Sorry for the late repy. I can't help you there. Best of luck. SVS deals are really just a USA thing

OP
G

Guralex

I’ve contacted a local dealer, asking for some models from the list and heard “oh, you’re looking for the music sub without high-pass connection? It’s horrible to listen the music via RCA - sub and speakers will live in different dimensions and low frequencies will be poorly synchronized with all others”.

I knew that there’s a possibility of connecting the sub directly to amp out, but thought it’s just an option for situations where there’s no separate sub-out.

Kindly asking for some feedback, because I’m really curious if the dealer just wanted to sell me B&W sub for 500 bucks or there’s a real difference to consider

delta76

Major Contributor
Sounds like some bs. Sub connected via rca is completely fine, given how distorted low frequencies are (10% or more). Rca is definitely better than that

nat1

I think BK ship to most of Europe? You could get either an XLS300 (previously XLS200), XXLS400 or P12-300SB for your budget.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I’ve contacted a local dealer, asking for some models from the list and heard “oh, you’re looking for the music sub without high-pass connection? It’s horrible to listen the music via RCA - sub and speakers will live in different dimensions and low frequencies will be poorly synchronized with all others”.

I knew that there’s a possibility of connecting the sub directly to amp out, but thought it’s just an option for situations where there’s no separate sub-out.

Kindly asking for some feedback, because I’m really curious if the dealer just wanted to sell me B&W sub for 500 bucks or there’s a real difference to consider
I guess you will have to decide who to believe. A Science based Forum whom has zero commercial interest or connections. Or the Sales guy who makes money by convincing you to buy the product they are trying to get rid of and sell. We have no advertising or marketing. Take note of what you don’t see here. Ads all over the place. We have no vested interest in selling you anything. We just give advice based on the science and engineering of Audio reproduction.

fritobugger

That is some serious saleman snake oil BS. Run don't walk away from that guy.

OP
G

Guralex

I guess you will have to decide who to believe. A Science based Forum whom has zero commercial interest or connections. Or the Sales guy who makes money by convincing you to buy the product they are trying to get rid of and sell. We have no advertising or marketing. Take note of what you don’t see here. Ads all over the place. We have no vested interest in selling you anything. We just give advice based on the science and engineering of Audio reproduction.
Sure thing, you dont hаve to explain

I'm just constantly discovering new facts and concepts in the audio industry. And when I come across a new phenomenon, I ask again whether it is marketing or a critical factor that is important to pay attention to.

I don’t know how anyone can correctly choose to buy a subwoofer these days, without first looking at my subwoofer spreadsheet.

I look at it, but aside from some pointers to a few brands/models, i lack the knowhow to draw additional further conclusions.
Guess I'd need to then go and listen to what is suggested/listed - or is there any "objective" criteria aside from size/price/brand/construction that would help me to refine my choice further?

AdamG

Forum Donor
I look at it, but aside from some pointers to a few brands/models, i lack the knowhow to draw additional further conclusions.
Guess I'd need to then go and listen to what is suggested/listed - or is there any "objective" criteria aside from size/price/brand/construction that would help me to refine my choice further?
Yes, you can narrow your search pile down by illuminating us on the room size in Cubic Feet. Floor type (wood, concrete), Movies and multichannel or stereo setup, proximity to neighbors, loudness target, do you consider yourself a Basshead? Budget, budget, budget, how important are ascetics to you and will you be hiding them behind a screen or using them as pieces of art. What are your main speakers specs and have you measured the in room response (this will help us know what low freq gap currently exists. Do you want custom colors/finishes. Do you have size limitations like a small room. A picture of the room is helpful in this regard. These are but a few of the aspects that will help us focus the suitable candidates.

But since you are not the OP. Allow me to respectfully ask you to start your own new Thread requesting help with this. It’s a respectful way to not take over another members Thread. ;)

Top Bottom