• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small Speakers for Desktop use with easy way to connect Sub

OP
B

Bucking

So I'm sorry if I'm annoying. But is there any verdict on the Eves 203 versus the 8010s?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Presonus Eris Sub8 is fairly cheap, will take a balanced input from your RME and will high pass an output to your monitors, like this...

1696233116738.png

I have this setup with a Topping EX5 as the source and iLoud MTMs as the monitors. I think the Sub8 would complement the 8010's nicely.

OP
B

Bucking

The Presonus Eris Sub8 is fairly cheap, will take a balanced input from your RME and will high pass an output to your monitors, like this...

View attachment 316057

I have this setup with a Topping EX5 as the source and iLoud MTMs as the monitors. I think the Sub8 would complement the 8010's nicely.
I'd need some XLR to TRS cables then right?

OP
B

Bucking

Would they work with this:

Since it has balanced XLR in and outputs?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd need some XLR to TRS cables then right?

Yes, I have XLR to TRS between the EX5 and Sub8, and TRS to (right anged) TRS between the Sub8 and MTMs. The right angled plugs hang down nicely from the back of the MTMs which are on mic stands, I have right angled IEC power connectors as well.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would they work with this:

Since it has balanced XLR in and outputs?

Yes, it looks like it would do the job.

OP
B

Bucking

So Ive just setup the 8010s with the sub. Setting their input sensitivy to -10 db makes the sub loud enough otherwise I couldnt get them to play nice with the sub. Ive also enabled the Desktop low frequency control and both Bass tilts. Do these settings make sense?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Ive just setup the 8010s with the sub. Setting their input sensitivy to -10 db makes the sub loud enough otherwise I couldnt get them to play nice with the sub. Ive also enabled the Desktop low frequency control and both Bass tilts. Do these settings make sense?

Yes, if sensitivity setting gives you a reasonable volume range.

There is no suggested settings where Desktop is ON along with both Bass tilt switches (-6dB)...

1697218128300.png

That said, if it sounds good then you can leave it alone.

Personally, I would experiment with all the settings to hear the effect and then I'd buy a UMIK-1 measurement mic and measure the response in REW and then calculate and apply EQ. This sort of thing...

OP
B

Bucking

Oh okay thanks for the heads up.

I just thought setting desktop to on like described here would be beneficial

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh okay thanks for the heads up.

I just thought setting desktop to on like described here would be beneficial

Since you have the 8010s connected via the sub, you are already attenuating the input signal to 8010s below the cross-over frequency set on the back of the sub..

Basically, frequencies below the cross-over setting will be played by the sub, frequencies above the cross-over setting will be played by the 8010s. So attenuating the bass further with the switches on the back of the 8010s will have a limited effect because the 8010s aren't being sent much bass anyway.

The switches are more relevant when the 8010s are used on their own, without a sub and a cross-over.

OP
B

Bucking

Is this also the case if I'm not running the 8010s connected to the sub?
Because I'm running the 8010s to the XLR of the RME and the Sub to the RCA of the RME so they're not connected to the sub.

And another question since I have them pointed upwards from my desk I have this bend in my cable's. Should I change them to angled xlr cables or is this fine?
1000018249.jpg

Last edited:

PyramidElectric

Because I'm running the 8010s to the XLR of the RME and the Sub to the RCA of the RME so they're not connected to the sub.

And another question since I have them pointed upwards from my desk I have this bend in my cable's. Should I change them to angled xlr cables or is this fine?
View attachment 318583
If you're not planning on moving them around a lot then it'll be fine; it's repeated bending/unbending of the cable that causes them to breakdown inside.

OP
B

Bucking

Thank you very much. I won't be moving them around at all.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 318583
You are better off running the signal through the monitors through the sub to use the high pass filter and prevent overlap of frequencies which can cause a peak or dip.

OP
B

Bucking

You are better off running the signal through the monitors through the sub to use the high pass filter and prevent overlap of frequencies which can cause a peak or dip.
So I should go for the ESI aktiv 10s since that sub has XLR in and outs?

Cause I dont see how I could connect 8010s to the Mivoc :/

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Although will be fine, it would annoy me! Faced with a similar challenge, I built some cables with right angled XLRs so I could push my Topping EX5 back closer to the wall behind it...

IMG_20220205_163147 (Small).jpg

Became...

IMG_20220205_163445 (Small).jpg

XLR Plugs are the 3-pin version of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustle-Profile-Connector-Microphone-Female/dp/B097161C1K?th=1

Note that with these plugs allow you to have the cable coming out at any angle. Some of the other right angled plugs are fixed or have a limited range of adjustment. The downside of these plugs is that they only accept thin cable. I had to get creative with heat shrink as the external insulation on my cable was too thick to enter the plug.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_163445 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20220205_163445 (Small).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom