• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer recommendation with (built in) room correction, for $500 euros or less

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want speakers with more power sensitivity and bass, for now after i have looked for a few month and didn't buy any, im going for a subwoofer, since it might be eaiser to find one

But what subwoofer, i want something not boomy, something that won't shake the room, i have dynaudio emit m10 and want a little more bass

I don't have a high pass filter so within my speakers limit i want to try to find something with a tight bass (used is alot cheaper but new you cant return it at get all your money back, so a used has to be cheap in case i regret it and have to sell it), no port shuffing and something that has a crossover of 80hz or lower (not the cheapest yamaha subs)

From europe not uk, i don't need a 12" subwoofer, 110db or down to 20hz -3db, just a little more as if i had a pair of emit m20, the new emit 30, dynaudio DM 2/8 (it has an 8" woofer) instead of my emit m10's

Something like KrkS8G4,Jamo s 808 or 810,mission LX-10SUBMKII or ARGON AUDIO MALMÖ SUB 8

When looking for new speakers what brand can you trust that have the specs they are rated for and not alot less bass extension (subwoofeers and bookshelf speakers) or much lower sensitivity that rated (bookshelf speakers)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
As long as it's elevated above 80 Hz bass will be boomy!
Sensitive enough speakers that don't need sub's but will benefit from them are Wharfedale Linton's if you have space for them. It will really all depend on your room so you start with buying UMIK-1 and measuring where fundamental first peek will be in your room (length dependant). After that you aim at speakers where that peak would be most beneficial acting sort of similar as port boosting the range that is under what speakers can do.
On the full scale wanting to go lower and stressing out mains lowering their THD where it matters the most especially in case of two way ones you go with sub's and cut them on their woofers Fs which is obviously higher even for most 8" one's then 80 Hz (for Linton's it's 80 Hz) but besides you want it to be in 110~130 Hz range for the sake of equal loudness scaling and most 6.5~7" one's achieve that but then you need one sub per each chenel. In that case and at price of about 300 € (if you are lucky) take a look at Wharfedale WH-D10 sub's. They are nothing special, have high pass filter @ 80 Hz trough low level (RCA) I/O but as stated before that doesn't matter much. In any case you need potent enough DSP multichannel capabilities to get there (and no WiiM amp doesn't count in, at least not for for now).
That's the trough and how things are and will be.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

sorry to say it, im not at all have the space and money for wharfedale lintons, i also don't wanna buy a UMIK-1 mike, it will drastic reduce how much i can spend on a subwoofer(if i had 1000 euros for upgrading to get more bass and sensitive speakers i won't ask for advice) both suggestions are how ever thoughtful they might be, nothing i can use.

Im not gonna take a science degree to get more bass, if i where to buy emit m20 or the new emit 20 i wouldn't measure my room before i buy them, an certainly not spend tons of money on dsp i might not be able to use with my pc,turntable and cdplayer

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
An SVS SB-1000 Pro should be under 1K (between 750 and 900€ in the first shop i looked, depending on the options) and is great, small and go relative loud and low for it's size. SVS is a brand you can trust (they are at least close to their claimed spec). And it leaves enough money for a UMIK-1 mic, that will help you to tune it right. It's not rocket science to use an UMIK mic and make sure your crossover is right, but it makes in most case a lot of difference in sound quality.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An SVS SB-1000 Pro should be under 1K (between 750 and 900€ in the first shop i looked, depending on the options) and is great, small and go relative loud and low for it's size. SVS is a brand you can trust (they are at least close to their claimed spec). And it leaves enough money for a UMIK-1 mic, that will help you to tune it right. It's not rocket science to use an UMIK mic and make sure your crossover is right, but it makes in most case a lot of difference in sound quality.

The SVS has built in PEQ filters so you can do something about the boominess , which usually is the room ( there are really bad home theater sub's that do boom on their own )

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

If i had 1000 euros for a subwoofer i wouldn't ask advice

I mentioned KrkS8G4,Jamo s 808 or 810,mission LX-10SUBMKII or ARGON AUDIO MALMÖ SUB 8 a, they don't come close to 1000 euros

IF i bough a UMIK-1 mic, what would that help for me ? bass and treble tone controls, eq on my amp

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

The SVS has built in PEQ filters so you can do something about the boominess , which usually is the room ( there are really bad home theater sub's that do boom on their own )

Why would you asume i have boominess or #4 has boominess ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you asume i have boominess or #4 has boominess ?

But what subwoofer, i want something not boomy, something that won't shake the room, i have dynaudio emit m10 and want a little more bass

Boomy is usually not a problem with the sub itself ( or your bass capable large loudspeakers ) its about the integration into the room and all rooms has bass nodes more or less .
So just the act of having actual bass also comes with its problems .
I just tried to say you can not specify a "not boomy" subwoofer by itself :)
Bass wavelengths are so large that you can not separate the speaker from the room they act together , hence some kind of eq and measurement solutions is beneficial in finding the bass nodes ( resonances really ) and flatten them a bit with EQ and then having tigther more musical bass.

This is also why you find trouble audition a subwoofer the " sound " of it is so intertwined with the room and the EQ efforts to integrate it that your really not listening to the subwoofer by itself .

Higher up in frequency your brain is capable of separating direct and reflected sound better and you are then able to "hear trough" many room issues and actually hear the speakers .

Are there not some subs that measure with your phone or by themselves ?

I would choose a closed box subwoofer for music in your case , with some kind of built in EQ ,brand I don't know .

If you cant measure fine . Its just a method to get better results quicker .

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I just tried to say you can not specify a "not boomy" subwoofer by itself

Some subwoofers are made for movies some for music and some has a setting for music and movies like a Yamaha NS-SW300

It's also as mentioned a little better to have a closed subwoofer for better controlled less boomy bass

montyliam

Boomy bass is rarely a function of the subwoofer itself, but of the room-subwoofer combination. As you aren't using any DSP or even applying a simple HPF-LPF crossover between your speakers and subwoofer, I really don't see the point in adding one. You might get more bass, but it isn't going to be anything of quality if you can't integrate it properly, which without DSP, UMIK-1 and a crossover, you can't.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The subwoofer may provide high pass filter to if it can be inserted somewhere in the loop ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Closed sub will have a slower down slope after the linear area and migth go deeper.

All subs on OP’s the list has some reflex loading the mission sub looks like a ht sub to me ? A bass reflex subs may go much louder due to thier increased efficiency but they fall of much quicker after the port resonance frequency.

A cheap br sub may have all the problems associated with bass reflex and small closed sub may be welll just small and not provide the desired output ?

Btw. there is also an 10” Argon sub in the same series for not much more ?

Are there any closed sub’s within the budget ? The kef kube 8 MIE for example?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

The subwoofer may provide high pass filter to if it can be inserted somewhere in the loop ?

It can't There are not normally any passive 2.1 systems, like the once back in the old days, where you connect the front speakers to the subwoofer (high pass and low pass filter) and the subwoofer to an amp (speaker terminals where the amp drives the speakers, not an amp in the subwoofer)

Back of my amp

AVimg_44589[2].jpg

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It can't There are not normally no passive 2.1 system like the once back in the old days, where you connect the front speakers to the subwoofer and the subwoofer to an amp (speaker terminals where the amp drives the speakers, not the amp in the subwoofer)

Back of my amp

View attachment 355984
Is it n600 ? it at least have sub out ?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I can get wharfedale subs but they are not for sale with a discount so i think they are to expensive

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it n600 ? it at least have sub out ?
I’ve read the manual there where very little info on how it works , let’s assume that there is no highpass for the mains and the sub out is just that a mono signal for the subwoofer that follows the volume .

Your hope of somehow integrate a sub is to set the subs filter so that the sub is active below your main speakers natural roll of frequency, so that sub and speakers don’t overlap to much .

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

If i want more bass adjustements it's the Yamaha R-N800A

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@gasolin75 what do you own, what's the complete budget, what do you want to achieve (including frequency range and SPL) and how big is the room? Future more in what country are you and what sources you are planning to use?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If i want more bass adjustements it's the Yamaha R-N800A
Yes this has more opportunity to adjust the sub it even has YPOA room correction :)
But it will strain your budget to also change amp ? Have you already bought the n600 amp and you Dynaudio speakers ?

I’m not an expert on this so can’t really suggest subwoofer brands .

Our member @sweetchaos has a list .

Prices vary locally here in Sweden the difference between the mission sub and the kef kube is not much for example.
SVS subs would be very budget friendly for someone in North America .

Have you considered the used market.
The list you compiled is that what you can get at a good price near you.

My experience is that dedicated subwoofer manufacturers products cost less for thier performance than a normal speaker brands subwoofer products

Here is one sub rsl speedwoofer considered good value in the US

Top Bottom