• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation - 2.1

nakor

Greetings,

I currently have a pair of Edifier R1700BT (no sub out version :/ ) and a Jamo S 808 subwoofer. Im hoping to get recommendations as to how to properly set these up with a pc for the least amount of money. Is there a pre-amp I could get that would solve the speakers not having a sub out? I tried using a splitter but it seemed pretty aggressive even with the sub frequency dialed all the way down. I have a Creative G6 but I dont think that helps my situation. Is it best to just sell the current speakers and get the sub out variant (R1700BTs)?

My motherboard has an LFE/Center jack, but I cant get it to work reliably even with Equalizer APO.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

newaudioguy

Unless you're cramped for space and just want powered speakers you might consider getting a little desktop receiver/amplifier like the SMSL a300. It's a two channel amp with subwoofer out that connects to your PC via usb. Then just get whatever desktop speakers you want (elac b6 , svs bookshelfs, etc) and your powered sub just plugs right into the sub out.

Something like that is more versatile because the little desktop amp can be used with anything, USB, Bluetooth, RCA, so you can move that little audio setup to a TV, garage, porch, if you decide to upgrade later. I have SVS prime bookshelves and a DIY 18" subwoofer with a 4kw power amp so you can really feel it in video games.

Attachments

• 20230829_205626.jpg
    20230829_205626.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
N

nakor

I've already got active speakers (Edifier R1700BT) - Im just looking for an inexpensive way to have sub out functionality. If I understand correctly, getting an amp such as the SMSL a300 would mean I cannot use my speakers with them and would require buying speakers as well?

Top Bottom