• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer recommendation with (built in) room correction, for $500 euros or less

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If i had 1000 euros for a subwoofer i wouldn't ask advice

I mentioned KrkS8G4,Jamo s 808 or 810,mission LX-10SUBMKII or ARGON AUDIO MALMÖ SUB 8 a, they don't come close to 1000 euros

IF i bough a UMIK-1 mic, what would that help for me ? bass and treble tone controls, eq on my amp
For your budget I'd be looking at subwoofers for studios, check out Thomann or Gear4Music sites. It's either that or trying to find the SVS mentioned on eBay really. Especially if you require the correction ability.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

And don't expect my help ever again.

it's not that list, that isn't a list with spl ratings at different hz

update i found it https://www.avsforum.com/threads/tr...a2010-into-spl-expectations-for-rp22.3285473/
1704556546742.png

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@gasolin75 subwoofer measurements are done at mid field distance (2m) and in according to standards in quasy anesthetic chamber or open field (and elevated above the ground to simulate one as you would need pretty big one).
To have more bass and less boomy you need to rotate the setup to 4.5 m direction and that way chances are that you will achieve what you want without sub's. I don't look in a magic ball nor anyone hire. When you are able to do proper measurements with purposely intended microphone you at least can see what you need to do or try next.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

For your budget I'd be looking at subwoofers for studios, check out Thomann or Gear4Music sites. It's either that or trying to find the SVS mentioned on eBay really. Especially if you require the correction ability.

Studio monitor subs usually don't have room correction software

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

@gasolin75 subwoofer measurements are done at mid field distance (2m) and in according to standards in quasy anesthetic chamber or open field (and elevated above the ground to simulate one as you would need pretty big one).
To have more bass and less boomy you need to rotate the setup to 4.5 m direction and that way chances are that you will achieve what you want without sub's. I don't look in a magic ball nor anyone hire. When you are able to do proper measurements with purposely intended microphone you at least can see what you need to do or try next.

I can't adjust bass except for tone controls, therefor a subwoofer with room corretion software,dsp is necessary to improve the bass under 80hz

From the manual of my amp Bass Boost/Cut 20 Hz/±10 dB Bass Turnover Frequency 350 Hz

Atm I don't have boomy bass but i wan't a little more than my dynaudios can deliver and lower,tighter bass

Talisman

Forum Donor
It doesn't seem like you need help, it seems like you want to magically find something that doesn't exist for the amount you have.
The Elac 3030 and 3010 are terrible in their software implementation, I had a 3010 and returned it because it was unmanageable.
Nothing you want at the price you can spend will give you the results you want because to get tight bass when you get below 50hz you need room correction ability.
You don't want to buy a microphone or a DSP, but the cheapest thing with the best possible result would be any decent second hand dis sub from 200 euros together with a cheap DSP system like this and a measurement microphone.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dsp-av-
processors/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-digital-audio-processor-dsp-adau1701-sigmadsp-2556bit-4-to-8-channels-p-13043.html

Any other attempt on your economic availability will be a failure. Good luck

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@gasolin75 cost 0 €, functionality 100%.
Emulation: 3 m and what you have now and even that much if you did proper placement.
Emit M10 3m.JPG

4.5m placement, minimal phase close to the wall behind the speakers (about 4.5~5 dB boots and barabe back to front refractions ratio for the small room).
Emit M10 4.5m.JPG

No magic, just physics.
How well it would all play out including bringing prominent highs down you can only see and optimise measuring with a proper mic (it doesn't have to be UMIK-1 it's just more handy than way and with calibration files for REW which is important for highs and also it serves as accurate SPL meter and others you have to calibrate yourself for that).
@Talisman wouldn't go that way, MiniDSP 2x4 HD really ain't that bad for the price.

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Last edited:

Talisman

Forum Donor
@Talisman wouldn't go that way, MiniDSP 2x4 HD really ain't that bad for the price.
I didn't find a dayton measurement, but it was my choice for the large number of inputs and outputs to simultaneously manage the subs in the 2.3 and 5.3 system and I must say that I don't regret it at all, neither in terms of performance nor in terms of interface and ease of operation. 'use. But surely the minisd 2X4hd would also be a good choice

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have some questions for you.

1. Have you changed your mind about buying a microphone? You can not use room correction software without a microphone.
2. What source are you using for your system? If you are using a PC, you can host the room correction on the PC instead of the sub.

When integrating subs with main speakers, you need (1) amplitude/volume matching and (2) time and phase alignment. The former is easier to do, it can be done by playing pink noise and using an SPL meter app on your phone, or even subjectively (turn the volume of the sub up and down until it sounds right). Doing it this way is very imprecise though, for that you need a sweep + mic.

The time and phase alignment is the tricky bit. For this reason, I think subs with built-in room correction is a terrible idea. Subs are usually delayed with respect to speakers, and adding DSP in the sub delays it even further. Typical sub delays with DSP is usually a minimum of 20ms, and up to 80ms. Adding even a 20ms delay to a sub is enough to make it sound slow and flabby. To achieve proper time alignment, it is the main speaker that needs to be delayed to match the sub. There are no subwoofer DSP modules I am aware of that are capable of delaying the main speakers.

Other ASR members have correctly pointed out that the sub does not give you slow and boomy bass, it is the very fact that bass itself exists. Bass has to be managed, there is no way around it. Of course, subs have to be correctly designed in the first place.

And lastly, there are two major factors working against you - your budget, and your knowledge. It is not my intention to disparage you, because all of us are in the same boat - we are all constrained by our budgets and our knowledge. But for subs, you definitely need a bigger budget and more knowledge. Subwoofer integration is not easy, and requires knowledge in room acoustics and whatever DSP software you are using. Fortunately, both can be acquired. May I respectfully suggest that you shelve this idea for now, save money for a bigger budget, and do some reading? Either that, or you need to revise your expectations. It is not unreasonable to have lower expectations, many people add subwoofers to their systems, fail to integrate it properly, but enjoy the sound anyway.

Top Bottom