• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small Speakers for Desktop use with easy way to connect Sub

Bucking

Hello community,

I'm currently running Audioengine A2+ at my desk with a Mivoc Hype 10G2 Subwoofer.
I got these together for about 110€ a while ago.

But when it comes to the speakers I definitely want more since the A2s aren't good at all.

Budget is around 650€ and I'm also willing to buy used.

However size is a limiting factor since I'm running dual monitors and don't really have space to the sides of the monitors. That leaves me with the only option of putting them underneath my monitors.
There's about 21cm/8.26 inches of space beneath them.

So far I've looked at the
*Vanatoos T0* and the *Eve Audio SC 203s* since these would probably fit and have a subwoofer port.

I've also looked at other speakers like the Iloud micros but don't really know how I would connect them to my sub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I could maybe squeeze a few more centimetres out for the speakers.

I will probably upgrade the sub in the future as well

staticV3

Master Contributor
Many subs have both Line in and Line out for connecting your monitors. Some of then even have configurable Xovers allowing you to high-pass the monitors for cleaner bass.

And even if your sub doesn't have Line out, you can use RCA splitter cables to connect both the sub and your monitors to your DAC in parallel.

Another alternative, if you're using a dedicated desktop DAC with both XLR/TRS and RCA out (SMSL M300SE for example), then you can connect the monitors via XLR and your sub via RCA.

All this to say that there are plenty ways to connect both, so that you're not limited to monitors that have a built-in Sub out.

OP
B

Bucking

I'm currently using a RME ADI 2 DAC FS for my HD 800s. Would that be capable for that case?

staticV3

Master Contributor
With 21cm of vertical space, a 650€ budget, and knowing that an external sub will be used, I'd take a look at the Genelec 8010a/Genelec G One (only difference is the input), or if it fits your setup, you could take a look at the Kali IN-UNF.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm currently using a RME ADI 2 DAC FS for my HD 800s. Would that be capable for that case?
Sure! XLR out to the monitors, and RCA out to the sub.
I even read that it's possible to implement a rudimentary Xover with the RME, though supposedly with some limitations.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello community,

I'm currently running Audioengine A2+ at my desk with a Mivoc Hype 10G2 Subwoofer.

But when it comes to the speakers I definitely want more since the A2s aren't good at all.

However size is a limiting factor since I'm running dual monitors and don't really have space to the sides of the monitors. That leaves me with the only option of putting them underneath my monitors.

Not sure I understand what you have - you have monitors and yet you run A2s on top? Why? And if you have monitors already... why do you need another set of close-range speakers, sub or not?

As @staticV3 mentioned, there are subs that offer all the connectivity and feature set of a preamp. How good the specs are... who knows. I have never seen anyone measure the pre-outs off such subs... I'd love that feature if well implemented.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Hello community,

So far I've looked at the
*Vanatoos T0* and the *Eve Audio SC 203s* since these would probably fit and have a subwoofer port.

I've also looked at other speakers like the Iloud micros but don't really know how I would connect them to my sub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: I could maybe squeeze a few more centimetres out for the speakers.

I will probably upgrade the sub in the future as well
I have no regrets with my Vanatoo T0 Pluses. I do not use a sub for my purposes, but think you will be happy. They have a TON of ways to eq them to suit your preference.

OP
B

Bucking

Not sure I understand what you have - you have monitors and yet you run A2s on top? Why? And if you have monitors already... why do you need another set of close-range speakers, sub or not?

As @staticV3 mentioned, there are subs that offer all the connectivity and feature set of a preamp. How good the specs are... who knows. I have never seen anyone measure the pre-outs off such subs... I'd love that feature if well implemented.
Sorry if that's confusing I mean Displays when I say monitor's

OP
B

Bucking

Sure! XLR out to the monitors, and RCA out to the sub.
I even read that it's possible to implement a rudimentary Xover with the RME, though supposedly with some limitations.
Oh that sounds good.

If I stretch my budget a little bit I could probably get some Neumann's KH80 used do you think that's worth it?

OP
B

Bucking

With 21cm of vertical space, a 650€ budget, and knowing that an external sub will be used, I'd take a look at the Genelec 8010a/Genelec G One (only difference is the input), or if it fits your setup, you could take a look at the Kali IN-UNF.
How would I connect the G One to my RME and still have my sub running through the RME?

RCA to XLR ?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I stretch my budget a little bit I could probably get some Neumann's KH80 used do you think that's worth it?
They're 23.3cm tall without a stand. I don't think they'll fit (you don't want to put the monitors directly onto your desk without something in between).
The Genelec 8010a are 19.5cm tall with their iso-pod stands.

OP
B

Bucking

Ah yes probably better with the genelecs then.

The 8010s are better than the Vanatoos right?

Found a nice deal for two of them in white for 430€ would you take that?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Found a nice deal for two of them in white for 430€ would you take that?
Heck yeah I would. If there's some money left, I'd buy a UMIK-1 as well to get the setup dialed in properly.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So it turns out that that the ADI-2 DAC cannot do the whole crossover thing. Only the ADI-2 Pro apparently.

That may be problematic as I had assumed that you'd be able to high-pass the 8010A to avoid this issue mentioned in Amir's review:
There is however a major flaw: hit anything with deep bass and the 8010A will complain with the worst crackle you can imagine. It goes from amazing to wow, this thing just broke!

Since you can't high-pass them (with your current gear at least), I'm thinking that you may be better off with the SC203. Connected to your PC via USB, you could enable its Satellite filter which gets rid of any deep bass coming out of the Eve, then plug your Sub into the Eve's Sub out and use its Crossover knob to integrate well with the SC203.

OP
B

Bucking

What a shame but thank you very much :)

Is there any gear that could make it work without spending too much money?

OP
B

Bucking

So it turns out that that the ADI-2 DAC cannot do the whole crossover thing. Only the ADI-2 Pro apparently.

That may be problematic as I had assumed that you'd be able to high-pass the 8010A to avoid this issue mentioned in Amir's review:

Since you can't high-pass them (with your current gear at least), I'm thinking that you may be better off with the SC203. Connected to your PC via USB, you could enable its Satellite filter which gets rid of any deep bass coming out of the Eve, then plug your Sub into the Eve's Sub out and use its Crossover knob to integrate well with the SC203.
Could this be fixed by using Sub with XLR in and outputs?

So: Genelecs with XLR to Sub then Sub with XLR into RME

staticV3

Master Contributor
Could this be fixed by using Sub with XLR in and outputs?

So: Genelecs with XLR to Sub then Sub with XLR into RME
If the Sub has a built-in crossover with high-passed line outs for the main monitors, then yes.

That being said, I'm not even sure that you will ever experience that crackle that Amir described. I think he really likes to push speakers to their limit during testing.

Chances are, even without high-passing the 8010A, so with RME XLR->8010A and RME RCA->Mivoc 10G2, it'll work out fine.

OP
B

Bucking

Thank you very much I think I'll just try it and see if it works well enough.

Really glad for all the helpful information you've been giving me:)

Top Bottom