• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pc to aes/ebu

dj94030

Hi, what's going to be a best way to connect windows pc to aes/ebu input?
I have USB and i have Realtek® Audio CODEC with Optical S/PDIF Out.

What i found:
https://www.thomann.de/gr/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_male_3.htm (but this needs some active optical->rca converter)
https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/808.html (with rca to xlr cable)
Also these: https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004371113948.html and they look the best, except that it's something very custom made and scary. But it at least has a transformer on the output according to what i saw on ebay. And marking-erased chip haha.

What i need:
To connect windows to genelec digitally cheaply, 44/16, up to 192/24 or whatever is important these days. But bluetooth would be nice. Up to $100?

Last edited:

Ifrit

Take a look at you motherboard and see if there are pins for electrical SPDIF on it. If so, use those connecting them to pins 1 and 2 on the XLR. That would be the cheapest.

G|force

Forum Donor
I used Lynx L22 pci cards back when I was using PC's in pre USB2 days. Lynx now offers E22 and E44 pci-e cards, not exactly inexpensive.

OP
D

dj94030

I'd prefer to stay under $100, it shouldn't need more i guess.

fast_mick

I had the Topping 10S its ok but not real good.
I have Mutec MC3+ USB and its a lovely unit and sounds fab.
I mainly listen to Tidal reference through the PC direct to the digital input of some Genelec 8330's with a Genelec 10" sub. it sounds fab.

OP
D

dj94030

I had the Topping 10S its ok but not real good.
I have Mutec MC3+ USB and its a lovely unit and sounds fab.
I mainly listen to Tidal reference through the PC direct to the digital input of some Genelec 8330's with a Genelec 10" sub. it sounds fab.
2 different digital interfaces have different sound?

fast_mick

I got the impression that the mutec controlled jitter much better so the music or sound sound fuller, so yes there is a difference in sound

fast_mick

Hi Static,

Yes its my opinion and therefore is considered "alleged" no proof is being offered.

unpluggged

Hi Static,

Yes its my opinion and therefore is considered "alleged" no proof is being offered.
You still are expected to explain how you came to the conclusion that this perceived difference in sound is due to better jitter control, as you claim, because this is not something trivial.

fast_mick

The review is not all that flattering to the MC3+ but I really like it and think it sounds fab

and therefore i will ask you how many times have you read a review and then purchased the product and thought .... well its ... not really as good as I thought it would be.

I bought my MC+ direct online from Germany and it worked out cheaper ... but its still a more expensive product than the topping.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I got the impression that the mutec controlled jitter much better so the music or sound sound fuller, so yes there is a difference in sound

But, no evidence to back that up of course.

...but its still a more expensive product than the topping..

Well, that's explains it.

its my opinion i dont really care if you agree or not

So, you won't be upset when it is given no credibility, and it is pointed out to those who come here for well founded advice that absent actual evidence there is no reason to believe what you are claiming.

Kraak

I bought one of these usb to aes convertors from aliexpress (the 192khz one without bluetooth) to try out, works as expected. It also has volume control on mac, which could be handy. Hooked up to genelec 8331A's.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 09.20.03.png

zdykstra

I bought one of these usb to aes convertors from aliexpress (the 192khz one without bluetooth) to try out, works as expected. It also has volume control on mac, which could be handy. Hooked up to genelec 8331A's.

View attachment 345119

Does it auto-select the bit depth / frequency based on the source material, or do you have to manually select it when it changes? I'd be curious to see the insides of the device, if you're willing to try opening it up.

Top Bottom