• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

It looks (in my case) ,that the onboard switching power supply + 5.65V / -5.6V, which supplies the output analog circuits (3 OA) behind the DAC, fails / does not start ..). That PSU is powered from 5V inputs. The all other onboard sources (3.3V, 1.2V, 1V) start up normally, they are linear (not switched) sources, powered by 5V inputs. It is simply a faulty (unreliable) internal symmetrical switching power supply, consisting of one miniature 12-pin IC ( marked DP0 3V4) and a pair of SMD components (2 inductors, diodes, a pair of resistors and capacitors:facepalm:

View attachment 181660
which version of d10b did this happen with? This owner has same effect brand new d10b no sound everything else functional. Did this d10b in the photo start working?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 101
Hi, guys, I'm having a similar problem as BVa, except that I can't get any sound at all, no matter how many times I unplug it. The display correctly reflects the chosen audio format (e.g., 44.1 or 96.0 PCM). It worked fine for a month, but now no audio.

I'm going from a Windows 10 PC to a powered hub in my monitor, with output to a S.M.S.L. SH-9. I tried the same from a Mac, which also previously worked. I can still use the single-ended inputs to the amp, so I know that the computer, amp, and headphones work. The D10 is my only balanced source, and the SH-9 my only balanced amp, so that's the one connection I can't test separately.

Is there anything else I can try, or should I just send this back? I have until the end of January to return it to Amazon.

Edit: after leaving it unplugged all night, it works this morning. My tech. mantra is: "try again, try another." As Ace Ventura said, there's also: "wait longer."
Same here brand new d10b no sound. Which version do you have?
analog no output for this owner.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 78
Same here brand new d10b no sound. Which version do you have?
analog no output for this owner.
nevermind function as expected IDK. It there was no sound for a good hour out of box. After playing with transmission cables removed inserted etc. was output. detected. So maybe the cables or the female TRS jack dimensionally came into play.

Toku

Major Contributor
I purchased it immediately after the D10B was released, but I have experienced the symptom that no sound is output from the RCA output about 5 times so far.
When the symptom occurred, it was recovered by switching the USB connection destination of the PC, disconnecting the USB cable and leaving it for about 10 minutes, or restarting the PC.

nagster

AP dashboard and 32-tone for unbalanced connections.

d10b_02.JPG

Attachments

• d10b_32tone_Thot_Rgrd_01.png
    d10b_32tone_Thot_Rgrd_01.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 243
  • d10b_32tone_Thot_Rnc_01.png
    d10b_32tone_Thot_Rnc_01.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 228
  • d10b_32tone_bal_01.png
    d10b_32tone_bal_01.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 240
  • d10b_DB_ts_rca_01.png
    d10b_DB_ts_rca_01.png
    110 KB · Views: 243
  • d10b_DB_Thot_Rnc_01.png
    d10b_DB_Thot_Rnc_01.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 238
  • d10b_DB_TS_RS_unbal_01.png
    d10b_DB_TS_RS_unbal_01.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 237
  • d10b_DB_bal_01.png
    d10b_DB_bal_01.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 247

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AP dashboard and 32-tone for unbalanced connections.

View attachment 218212
The guy from Topping says not to use such adapters on the D10 balanced. It appears you have confirmed why. For many gears with balanced output it makes only a small difference to use such adapters to single ended. Not the D10. From the Topping web page on the D10 balanced.

1657775789698.png

archerious

I recently bought another one of these to go from USB to Coaxial since I had a tough time getting a decent USB cable in 25+ feet length; too many just didn't work.

D10 Balanced is built quite well, so long as the display doesn't die like my previous D10B, I will be pretty happy.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought another one of these to go from USB to Coaxial since I had a tough time getting a decent USB cable in 25+ feet length; too many just didn't work.

D10 Balanced is built quite well, so long as the display doesn't die like my previous D10B, I will be pretty happy.
The maximum length of USB 2 cable is 5 m per the USB standard. Longer lengths usually do not work due to signal propagation timing issues. For transmissions over 5 m, you'll need active bridge(s)/repeater(s).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The active extenders work quite well as I've used a couple of them. Even beyond 50 feet.

Last edited:

archerious

The maximum length of USB 2 cable is 5 m per the USB standard. Longer lengths usually do not work due to signal propagation timing issues. For transmissions over 5 m, you'll need active bridge(s)/repeater(s).
That would make sense :D, ugh that knowledge would've saved me some Amazon returns.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The guy from Topping says not to use such adapters on the D10 balanced. It appears you have confirmed why. For many gears with balanced output it makes only a small difference to use such adapters to single ended. Not the D10. From the Topping web page on the D10 balanced.

View attachment 218224

I dunno man, but my D10B works perfectly fine with a pair of cheapo 1/4" TS to RCA plugs to my iLoud MMs and sounds just the same as the DX3 Pro+, D50S and DO100.

Not sure what's the big deal is about Topping's own claims against them.

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
I dunno man, but my D10B works perfectly fine with a pair of cheapo 1/4" TS to RCA plugs to my iLoud MMs and sounds just the same as the DX3 Pro+, D50S and DO100.

The differences may not be audible, but Topping's claim can be interpreted as a disclaimer that the degradation of measurement results is not a sign of malfunction.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes but with distortion and noise 40 db worse.

rtraideo

First post. I purchased this DAC to use with my Debian Linux system. I've just set it up and have encountered an issue that others may encounter.

The issue is that the sampling rate used by the DAC refuses to change from the default sample rate configured in pulseaudio. All other sample rates are resampled. This happens even if the avoid-resampling = TRUE option is used in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

The DAC is functional and sounds fine. It's just a mental irritation that everything is unnecessarily resampled.

It could be an issue specific to the D10 based on other reports I have found, all of which describe a similar issue when using pulseaudio with the D10s or D10b:

I'm aware there are workarounds involving not using pulseaudio. Unfortunately, I listen to a lot of stuff through various applications like Firefox, Rythmbox and MPD. Pulseaudio is what makes it possible for different applications to share the same sound devices in Linux.

I'm not going to put much effort into finding a resolution because while the D10 was on the way I decided I wanted a built in front panel volume control and have another DAC coming to replace it. I just thought I would post my findings here in case someone else encountered a similar problem. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and resolved it, but none of the above links offer a satisfactory resolution in my view.

Toku

Major Contributor
First post. I purchased this DAC to use with my Debian Linux system. I've just set it up and have encountered an issue that others may encounter.

The issue is that the sampling rate used by the DAC refuses to change from the default sample rate configured in pulseaudio. All other sample rates are resampled. This happens even if the avoid-resampling = TRUE option is used in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

The DAC is functional and sounds fine. It's just a mental irritation that everything is unnecessarily resampled.

It could be an issue specific to the D10 based on other reports I have found, all of which describe a similar issue when using pulseaudio with the D10s or D10b:

I'm aware there are workarounds involving not using pulseaudio. Unfortunately, I listen to a lot of stuff through various applications like Firefox, Rythmbox and MPD. Pulseaudio is what makes it possible for different applications to share the same sound devices in Linux.

I'm not going to put much effort into finding a resolution because while the D10 was on the way I decided I wanted a built in front panel volume control and have another DAC coming to replace it. I just thought I would post my findings here in case someone else encountered a similar problem. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and resolved it, but none of the above links offer a satisfactory resolution in my view.
I'm using both D10s and D10B with Windoes and I haven't had such a problem.
The Linux system is set to resample all files from your operating conditions.
To avoid resampling, the audio file should be output directly to USB without going through the Linux audio system.
Even in Windows, if you simply connect the USB cable to your PC and play it, it will be resampled to the rate set in the Windows audio system and output.
D10s / D10B is a product that simply converts the sent signal as it is and outputs it as audio. It does not have a resampling function.
This problem is easily misunderstood if you don't have a good understanding of your PC's audio system.

rtraideo

I'm using both D10s and D10B with Windoes and I haven't had such a problem.
The Linux system is set to resample all files from your operating conditions.
To avoid resampling, the audio file should be output directly to USB without going through the Linux audio system.
Even in Windows, if you simply connect the USB cable to your PC and play it, it will be resampled to the rate set in the Windows audio system and output.
D10s / D10B is a product that simply converts the sent signal as it is and outputs it as audio. It does not have a resampling function.
This problem is easily misunderstood if you don't have a good understanding of your PC's audio system.
Thanks for the reply.

Just because it's my first post doesn't mean I don't understand my PC's audio system. I've been using a Linux computer to run my USB DACs since 2008. I fully understand how to achieve bit perfect streams using ALSA, bypassing pulseaudio which is used by most Linux desktops.

As my post mentions though, this is audio for general desktop use and I want to have audio playback from my web browser in addition to music playback applications. ALSA only allows one application at a time to use the DAC. Pulseaudio is much more convenient for general desktop use.

Additionally, pulseaudio does allow playback in native formats without resampling. It's just that it doesn't work in this DAC (and perhaps others, as it could be related to the XMOS implementation.) My MOTU M4 switches sample rates using the default pulseaudio configuration on the same PC.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply.

Just because it's my first post doesn't mean I don't understand my PC's audio system. I've been using a Linux computer to run my USB DACs since 2008. I fully understand how to achieve bit perfect streams using ALSA, bypassing pulseaudio which is used by most Linux desktops.

As my post mentions though, this is audio for general desktop use and I want to have audio playback from my web browser in addition to music playback applications. ALSA only allows one application at a time to use the DAC. Pulseaudio is much more convenient for general desktop use.

Additionally, pulseaudio does allow playback in native formats without resampling. It's just that it doesn't work in this DAC (and perhaps others, as it could be related to the XMOS implementation.) My MOTU M4 switches sample rates using the default pulseaudio configuration on the same PC.
I don't really understand Linux, but I think you've set the resampling rate in the PulseAudio output settings and it's being output to USB at that value.
ALSA seems to have a mechanism to resample everything to the same frequency (48000 by default) when software mixing is enabled.
MOTU M4 supports 44.1 ~ 196kHz input, but since there is no display, the actual operation is unknown. Maybe it's working at a resampled frequency.

In the case of PCM / DSD playback, Windoes installs the XMOS ASIO driver provided by Topping to perform native playback. If you use only PCM, you can play it in WASAPI mode without a driver.

Top Bottom