• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

kiyu

This situation ended with - silence, no answer or any solution. The second time I encounter the smsl service and, unfortunately, the conclusion is: there is no smsl guarantee. Thank you Smsl ans Shenzhenaudio
how long since you got it?
remember that Shenzhen Audio has "

Try to chat with them, they tried to help me when I got the issue with my Dx7 pro.
I got a worse experience with Hifigo.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's specifically Toroid brand. View attachment 133859
The logo is Noratel: https://www.noratel.com/company/about-us/

Odd that the transformer pictured has the logo, but not the name on it.

I have a couple of their small potted transformers and they have the name on them.

1642853612956.png

astrolug

This situation ended with - silence, no answer or any solution. The second time I encounter the smsl service and, unfortunately, the conclusion is: there is no smsl guarantee. Thank you Smsl ans Shenzhenaudio
Very disappointing to hear this. I too bought the D1se mainly for its I2s capability - otherwise would have opted for Denafrips Ares II. D1se is serving me fine as a good allrounder but I really wanted it to do I2S so that I could play SACDS from a CD transport, which in my case is Oppo 103. I'm still hoping there might be a fix of some sort.

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

Rotel

Very disappointing to hear this. I too bought the D1se mainly for its I2s capability - otherwise would have opted for Denafrips Ares II. D1se is serving me fine as a good allrounder but I really wanted it to do I2S so that I could play SACDS from a CD transport, which in my case is Oppo 103. I'm still hoping there might be a fix of some sort.
I have same problem. Today I received the Pi2AES modul for Raspberry Pi4. (The software is Volumio on the Pi4). D1SE displays No signal when using I2s interface. :(
Now I'm using coax interface with digital coax cable.

Cisco150

Is there a new Firmware for the SMSL VMV D1SE and should I install the USB drivers?

MalinYamato

SMSL makes me very frustrated. I have tried two days to communicate with them regarding the purchase of D1SA but NO RESPONSE and on their hifi-express store they promised to respond immediately, but they didn't. Then they promised to respond within a few minutes, but they didn't and then again they promised to respond right away, but they didn't and so on and so on -- and this circus has been going on for two days...

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
SMSL makes me very frustrated. I have tried two days to communicate with them regarding the purchase of D1SA but NO RESPONSE and on their hifi-express store they promised to respond immediately, but they didn't. Then they promised to respond within a few minutes, but they didn't and then again they promised to respond right away, but they didn't and so on and so on -- and this circus has been going on for two days...
View attachment 197033
What's there to communicate? Just order it

MalinYamato

What's there to communicate? Just order it
I was evaluating it with questions that need answers and when I was about to order it regardlessly April 1, during their promotion between Mar 28 and April 1, but SMSL had ended the discount period one day earlier than what they had announced and I was screwed -- perhaps an April 1 joke ...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I was evaluating it with questions that need answers and when I was about to order it regardless of April 1 during their promotion between Mar 28 and April 1 but SMSL had ended the discount period one day earlier than what they had announced and I was screwed -- perhaps an April 1 joke ...
1 minute after midnight 31 march (their time) would qualify as April 1st

MalinYamato

1 minute after midnight 31 march (their time) would qualify as April 1st
this is SMSL promotion advertisement for products sold in Europa for European customers.
Skärmbild 2022-04-01 133241.png

Does the period not include April 1? The hifigo shop includes April 1 in their promotion.

MalinYamato

Doesn't say which timezone, it could be China time.
exceptionally clumsy of SMSL not to specify a timezone, what is included, and what is not included in their time span. Their store is in Europa and nowhere does it specify China. In Europa specifying a timespan, from-day to a to-day includes the entire to-day.

deafenears

Forum Donor
I went to the site, at the very bottom it says:

Web Support & Business Hours: Monday–Saturday: 9:00am – 6:00pm GMT+8

So likely GMT+8. https://time.is/GMT+8 tells me it's 5am April 2nd now. @SMSL-Mandy might be able to help. Might be the same Mandy featuring in that web chat in the screenshot.

Veri

Master Contributor
this is SMSL promotion advertisement for products sold in Europa for European customers.
View attachment 197040
Does the period not include April 1? The hifigo shop includes April 1 in their promotion.
I've had something similar with a promotion and they refunded me the price difference. Note however that despite claims of EU shipping their in-EU stock is terribly small or non-existent. EU fulfillment might just be chipped from China either way. FYI.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
exceptionally clumsy of SMSL not to specify a timezone, what is included, and what is not included in their time span. Their store is in Europa and nowhere does it specify China. In Europa specifying a timespan, from-day to a to-day includes the entire to-day.

SMSL is based in China. They only use wharehouses in Europa etc. Or Amazon wharehouses in some cases. But they even mention on their hifiexpress site that custom fees might apply.

Business hours are GMT+8 (China).

Even on Amazon sites you have to be careful with Chinese retailers where they actually ship from.
Otherwise there will still be custom fees etc.

Better to order from a local retailer or Amazon (handled, shipped by Amazon) and pay a bit more.

Warranty is all nice and good through Chinese retailers till you have return their stuff at your cost to china

MalinYamato

I went to the site, at the very bottom it says:

Web Support & Business Hours: Monday–Saturday: 9:00am – 6:00pm GMT+8

So likely GMT+8. https://time.is/GMT+8 tells me it's 5am April 2nd now. @SMSL-Mandy might be able to help. Might be the same Mandy featuring in that web chat in the screenshot.
I found it! by GMT+8 I was surely outside office hours when I message to her around 12. But the message box stated that they will "respond immediately" when I was trying to chat with them at 12 -- there should be info about their business hours on the chat utility instead of keeping posting that they are online and respond immediately or within minutes.

Top Bottom