• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

kiyu

another positive review (from headfonia):
https://www.headfonia.com/smsl-vmv-d1se-review/

at 629 $, an interesting option.
I was going to create a new post if someone could compare the SMSL D1SE vs smsl Su9 because they are both ess9038 pro, only a couple of differences (toroidal transfo, Nichicon, maybe a few more) but not sure if they worth 300 u$s from Su 9.
according to the article yeah the are a few differences.
629 Shenzhenaudio Store ( ali express not their site)

kiyu

I was going to create a new post if someone could compare the SMSL D1SE vs smsl Su9 because they are both ess9038 pro, only a couple of differences (toroidal transfo, Nichicon, maybe a few more) but not sure if they worth 300 u$s from Su 9.
according to the article yeah the are a few differences.
629 Shenzhenaudio Store ( ali express not their site)
I also wonder if I will heard difference between that one and my toppind dx7 pro (both are es 9038 pro)

VVY

01_IMG_8115.JPG
02_IMG_8126.JPG
04_IMG_3859.JPG
05_IMG_3861.JPG
06_IMG_3866.JPG
SMSL SU-9 (6).jpg

VVY

I present photos of SMSL WMV D1se mqa. In Outstage, unlike SMS SU-9, there is-TI 071, what is this operational amplifier?

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Is this better than how the topping D90SE is build? I have no clue really.

archerious

Is this better than how the topping D90SE is build? I have no clue really.
It’s probably similar, main difference being the issue D90SE has with certain optical and coax devices (constantly dies every 5-10 seconds with my PC and LG TV).
Never had this issue with SMSL but rather the third harmonic distortion issue and channel imbalance issues plagued a lot of their models.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It’s probably similar, main difference being the issue D90SE has with certain optical and coax devices (constantly dies every 5-10 seconds with my PC and LG TV).

That would be actually more than reason enough to get something else.

archerious

That issue was NOT affected on the d1se according to wolf
That’s good, I might go for D1SE or a Gustard X16. Both seem similar in measurements but there is a price difference.

kiyu

That’s good, I might go for D1SE or a Gustard X16. Both seem similar in measurements but there is a price difference.

on the second page there is a comparison between x16 and d1se.

there was an issue with x16 something related to the dc output or something like that I can remember, probably if you to the gustard x16 post and check you will found it, I remember it was not a critical issue, but it was there, would recommend to check it before get one.

archerious

on the second page there is a comparison between x16 and d1se.

there was an issue with x16 something related to the dc output or something like that I can remember, probably if you to the gustard x16 post and check you will found it, I remember it was not a critical issue, but it was there, would recommend to check it before get one.

I think it was mainly just DSD issues.

OP
P

pimy

SMSL D1SE DAC Review :

Volikovvv

Hello! Could someone advise d1se alternative stands/feets for D1se dac?:))) i hate bundled stands

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^Hardware/etc. store. Should have small round neoprene foam disks, stick-on / "peel-and-stick." Or rubber. 10mm.
Commonly used on small DAC and and amplifiers.

Jarlaxle

Goldensound has a review of the D1SE forthcoming. In this review of the Ares II, he says the Ares II and the D1SE are his current choices for best DAC's less than $1k. The Ares II being a little better for the tonality of acoustic instruments and vocals and the D1SE better for electronic music, low end micro dynamics. He says it's more neutral, a little less analytical than a D90. Anyways, I'll look forward to his review which should include measurments -
Golden Sound finally released his review. You might wanna check it out

Volikovvv

Hello everyone! Happy New Year, comrades! Did anyone connect D1se withi2c connection? I tried to connect the ddc converter to d1se, and the DAC always shows - "No signal", i tried to switch modes and settings on the dac, swapped the cables, with no luck. Is there any lifehack how to make it work?

astrolug

Thankyou Volokovv for raising this, I'm experiencing the same problem with I2S connection. Have tried all the same things as you, no luck. I really hope someone finds a hack.

Volikovvv

Thankyou Volokovv for raising this, I'm experiencing the same problem with I2S connection. Have tried all the same things as you, no luck. I really hope someone finds a hack.
Looks like i2s input does not work at all on d1se, im trying to contact Smsl for solution. But two more people reported that they unable to use i2s on this dac. That is very bad news, because i purchased ddc specially to test i2s with the dac, but dac shows only "no signal" in any cases:( Sad that no information about this on the net

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like i2s input does not work at all on d1se, im trying to contact Smsl for solution. But two more people reported that they unable to use i2s on this dac. That is very bad news, because i purchased ddc specially to test i2s with the dac, but dac shows only "no signal" in any cases:( Sad that no information about this on the net
I suspect it may be the fact that there isn't a standard for i2s connections. So if the devices you are connecting use a different configuration for the pins than smsl did, you're out of luck. Search for other posts on here and elsewhere.

Top Bottom