• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D1se2 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 59.2%

• Total voters

Milanraf

We could have a DAC/ADC with a programmable DSP. Then we could try to make it Turing-complete using the audio output as state and looping it back through the ADC. Then use it to solve Advent of Code challenges.

Esoteric and pointless you say? That’s why I’ll slap an Audioquest badge on it and charge an extra $3K for it.
I meant: do we still need more detail than this? Could this (and the other devices in this class) be the end of DAC development toward signal perfection?

shuppatsu

I meant: do we still need more detail than this? Could this (and the other devices in this class) be the end of DAC development toward signal perfection?
I know what you meant; I was just goofing. Judging by the lack of likes, my attempt at humor missed its mark.

As best as I can tell, even "mediocre" DACs have been fully transparent for a while, and SOTA DACs like this provide no audible benefit for 99% of use cases. If we're talking about chasing numbers beyond audibility, I wonder what the limit is. It seems unlikely that we'll get significantly better results with the APx555, being limited by how clean the sine generator and ADC are. But this far beyond audibility, it's a moot point. The fancy stuff will sell on the basis of features, interface, looks, and audiophoolery.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Did the intern design that display? :facepalm:

Colours, fonts, …
The same intern that did this one.

shuppatsu

The same intern that did this one.

That's not the only thing that's shared. They are essentially the same product. Amir's measurements are essentially the same, they use the same DAC chip, same XMOS module, etc. Even the descriptions on the mfgr website use practically identical language. DO300 vs D1se2.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I agree. Many of those different, but same Topping and SMSL DACs.
It's almost like they make slightly different model with miniscule upgrade in SINAD just so that ASR could publish them and thus get free advertisement.
To be honest its like 50 devices already. My D70S is years old at this point and the SINAD is basically the same as the new devices...

bkdc

Forum Donor
FYI, Topping sells an aftermarket CNC'ed remote if metal remotes are your thing. It's called the RC-22

capslock

Is anyone aware of a DAC that offers < - 140 dB for all harmonics like this expensive ugly duckling does at a significantly lower price point? That would be nice for measurements together with the Cosmos ADC because one could forego the APU / filtering stuff for most applications.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Is anyone aware of a DAC that offers < - 140 dB for all harmonics like this expensive ugly duckling does at a significantly lower price point? That would be nice for measurements together with the Cosmos ADC because one could forego the APU / filtering stuff for most applications.
This comes really really close
This does it for half the price, very simple interface too.

Quattroll

I just wanted to add my experience here with the VMVd1se2. I have found this to be an excellent dac used also as a preamp. Recently I tried several dacs that have performed very well in the ASR testing. These were the Topping E70, the SMSL D300 with Rohm Chip, the SMSL SU-9, and the Eversolo Z6. I got from Amazon and was able to spend some time with each. My impression with these follows the notion that audible differences are very subtle, if indeed present at all. I tried very hard to pick out differences and found that the SU-9 wasn’t special, the Eversolo did sound perhaps the best, but had the popping issue noted in the Amazon reviews. It is beautifully built and the dual mono design I think adds to its performance as a dac/pre. The D300 was ok, but I found it to be more of a recessed sound and a relatively cheap build. The Topping E70 is a great all-rounder and I did keep that unit. The display is not fancy but is very legible across the room, and it has auto sense on and triggers, a bit rare. I’m using this in a second setup.

I was still looking for a better unit to use as my primary, and so I decided to try the VMV D1se. Now I felt that was a pretty bit step forward vs the aforementioned dacs. I’m not the most adept at writing about sound, but the presence, detail, and soundstage impressed me right away. It has a fullness and engagement that I have not heard before. I was playing music that I didn’t realize was as good as it was coming out of this unit.
Since there was overlap in my trial period, I decided to order the new version 2 and try that as well. I did not expect much, but I immediately felt that this was about as big a step forward as the fist one was vs those other dacs. Wow!

I did then notice the Eversolo streamer and thought about going to that unit, but I didn’t want to order outside of an easy return scenario because I know the Z6 had issues. Also functionally I wanted a dac/pre foremost.

I am using the D1se2 with Emotiva PA-1 (IcePower) amps and Era Design 14 towers. I also have Magnepan .7s but haven’t tried that combination much because I’m so happy with what I’m hearing now. Seriously I could be done upgrading for some time with this, maybe indefinitely. Now I can relate to the criticism of the display and lack of triggers and perhaps dsp, but from a strict sound output pov, this thing is really pretty special. I know this goes against the notion of dacs being so good across the board, but that is my experience.

Lastly, on a functional note, the two buttons on the unit are the ones you really need, input and output. Being able to quickly test the subwoofer (rca), balanced (to the speakers), and then both together from the front is great. I’m just happy that I have found something that has really lifted the performance of my setup and now I can focus on listening and forget about the “dac wars” for the foreseeable future. Oh and big up to Amir!

JensenW

Hello, I have an issue about the PCM filters with my new VMV D1se2. I am feeding music to it via USB. Output is balanced to Topping A90 discrete.

When the PCM filter is on, eg. using slow minimum, I get normal sound. However, turning the PCM filter off, the same song becomes much louder and clipping is all over the place. Repeated testing yields the same result.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Thanks.

giordy

I can't find the ES 9039MSPRO chip on the sabre site..... I was looking for the datasheet

JensenW

so is it possible to activate/deactivate the internal filters?
In the PCM filter menu, there is a choice of filters as well as an option named "no filter". I suppose this is how I activate or deactivate the filter?

Anyway, the problem only occurs when "no filter" is chosen.

giordy

In the PCM filter menu, there is a choice of filters as well as an option named "no filter". I suppose this is how I activate or deactivate the filter?
Can you tell me if the same option is also in the DSD?
Thank you
.... certainly interesting machine and if it is possible to deactivate the filters both on pcm and on dsd, it is even more so

artiek

Anyway, the problem only occurs when "no filter" is chosen.
I hear the same thing. Since I prefer the sound of no filter (aka NOS), I set the pre out to Variable -4dB, then set it to Fixed so it stays at -4. No more clipping into the amp.

Also, for those wondering how this V2 compares to V1 of the DAC, V2 is better at soundstage. RCA output is much better than before. Soundstage is noticeably larger. Imaging and Resolution are a little better. LDAC is supported. Same annoying spikes instead of rubber feet. It's a good update.

Quattroll

I got these on Amazon, then put those silicone style drawer/cabinet bumpers on and it’s great.

304 Steel, 8mm, M6

Top Bottom