• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D1se2 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 59.2%

• Total voters

Trell

Major Contributor
And what if you use a stereo set-up, headphone amp with multiple headphones (with different PEQ or convolution settings) with such a DAC?

I rather choose presets trough a tablet and a software like roon.

Can't imagine going through presents on a tiny DAC display and let alone setting up everything.

And if U want to do all that with a tablet or computer you might as well just use software on a computer.

It's a preference where the DSP is done, but @Rednaxela point of DSP for multiple sources is a valid one. My preference is to have DSP in the DAC/HP amp and not in PC software, and for me that works very well with no hassle when changing between inputs as well as outputs.

So DSP in DACs is for me one nice feature for more manufacturers to implement as compared to even more excellently performance when we're way past audibility. My guess is that more manufacturers will start to implement this to differentiate themselves or among their own products.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
They need to start making improvements with the displays and ergonomics. All these companies seem to use the same generic OLEDs. All looks the same.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why people keep buying these similar DACs is the right question. You'd think that expectations would have evolved a bit by now.
I'd think most of the buyers of these newer DACS are probably people that have recently discovered ASR and similar sites, I should think most rational folks that have been ASR members since say 2019 probably stopped buying new DACS in 2020! It would make sense for people that had rubbish DACS or nothing, to buy these latest best DACS, albeit not this overpriced $720 DAC! Plus, there's always the contingent that get bored or have to have the latest or of the extreme audiophile category that naively keep buying the latest, but I think that category is shrinking, and especially that would be only a small percentage of ASR participants. Whilst I agree that it's good that Amir keeps churning out the DAC reviews - to keep them honest & give buyers security - we all know that having the latest lowest SINAD DACS is not important. I would think that DAC manufacturers will slowly get the message that they can benefit by offering increased functionality whilst still offering good measurements (or by taking the other tack of keeping measurements stellar whilst competing on price, lowering price.)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a preference where the DSP is done, but @Rednaxela point of DSP for multiple sources is a valid one. My preference is to have DSP in the DAC/HP amp and not in PC software, and for me that works very well with no hassle when changing between inputs as well as outputs.

So DSP in DACs is for me one nice feature for more manufacturers to implement as compared to even more excellently performance when we're way past audibility. My guess is that more manufacturers will start to implement this to differentiate themselves or among their own products.
And I buy into that too, but only if they offered an effective Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound gaming option like the Creative sound cards, because I'm not about to have two DACS (one for gaming & one for music listening). Ideally I'd have all that functionality in the DAC (&/or software that goes with it).

ethanhallbeyer

They do for quite a few years already. VMV is indeed the higher end brand of S.M.S.L, with a different targeting audience:
Then where does SU line fall into their lineup? The SU10 is more expensive with even better internal components and measurements.

raif71

Major Contributor
To me, the VMV and SU are targeted to audiences that perceives that both "type" of DACs have different tuning and sound signature. Yes, I know most audiences here abhors such views but there are people out there that believe for example that SU sound is more clinical and analytical and that the VMV is warm, musical etc. It is this distinction that perhaps make sense to have the VMV and SU line-up. :cool: My 2 cents

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why would you have multiple sources?
A computer is all you need.
I always find it shocking how easily some feel entitled to tell others what they need, what they should use, etc.
What if I told you that to listen to music all you need is a phone and a bluetooth speaker? I would be right, but maybe you would like to continue using something else.
I have my PC totally out of the audio chain for 1000 reasons, it's not up to you to judge how and why I should use the equipment I buy. Just as I find boring those who suggest ripping CDs and throwing CD players in the toilet.
Everyone has his own needs and uses what he likes in his system.
Thankfully this should still be a hobby and should be driven by personal pleasure.

MacP

It is quite funny and strange that Chinese manufacturers release dozens of DACs that are very similar to each other, all with almost ideal specifications, identical functionality, similar in appearance too. 99% of them have digital volume control (which controls the power amplifiers poorly). And there is a lack of good, simple streamers (equipped with TIdal Conncect, Google Cast, AirPlay), and no one offers a DAC that has a real preamplifier of good quality, at a reasonable price. After all, it's not particularly complicated...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its because theyre relying on what they are good at

i cannot expect engineers in china to reliably create streamers when they are behind the China electronic curtain

i dont think i've ever seen a competant analog preamp from them (except the high end like Kinki Jungson Denafrips whatever)

i dont think i've ever seen competant speakers of any sort??? outside of airpulse maybe?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Just as I find boring those who suggest ripping CDs and throwing CD players in the toilet.
Everyone has his own needs and uses what he likes in his system.
Thankfully this should still be a hobby and should be driven by personal pleasure.
Oh i thought this is a scientific forum about what makes objectively the best playback system and not about your personal preference of shiny discs.

What if I told you that to listen to music all you need is a phone and a bluetooth speaker?
This would be nice! but can you back this up with some data?

Talisman

Forum Donor
Oh i thought this is a scientific forum about what makes objectively the best playback system and not about your personal preference of shiny discs.
And you're wrong, it's not a forum where they teach you how to have the best objective listening system, it's a forum where listening equipment is objectively measured and evaluated, and not based on fancy voodoo terms, otherwise you'd just have pc measurements, instead we measure dacs, cd players, phono amplifier stages, all things that according to your theory should not be considered here.

I just follow your example, I do this, so you have to do this too, right?

HappyMetalGuy

Why would you have multiple sources?
A computer is all you need.

Are you serious? Or just teasing!!! I have a aiyima D03 and all the inputs play music (LG TV optical, Sony CD transport coaxial, PC on USB, Samsung Phone via Bluetooth and a Sony record player RCA.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I just follow your example, I do this, so you have to do this too, right?
I never saw Amir test a DAC with a "Real CD" player...
If you think they are magically better maybe you shuld tell him about his flawed measurement method.
But i think that this already debunked and a DAC don’t cares about the source of data.

Talisman

Forum Donor
I never saw Amir test a DAC with a "Real CD" player...
If you think they are magically better maybe you shuld tell him about his flawed measurement method.
But i think that this already debunked and a DAC don’t cares about the source of data.
I didn't write it and I don't think it. I am responsible for what I write, not what you understand

Lambda

Major Contributor
Also for watching live cable TV? Don’t know.
I'm a other generation. Never watched live cable TV, Or any broadcast media. Dont even have a TV.
But if i would want the see the content i would do it on a PC.

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm a other generation. Never watched live cable TV, Or any broadcast media. Dont even have a TV.
But if i would want the see the content i would do it on a PC.
Finally. When you in a post above wrote “A computer is all you need” you should have written “A computer is all I need”.

While the reviewed DAC is not for me I’m sure that many will be quite happy with it.

Top Bottom