• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D1se2 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 59.2%

• Total voters

JensenW

I hear the same thing. Since I prefer the sound of no filter (aka NOS), I set the pre out to Variable -4dB, then set it to Fixed so it stays at -4. No more clipping into the amp.

Also, for those wondering how this V2 compares to V1 of the DAC, V2 is better at soundstage. RCA output is much better than before. Soundstage is noticeably larger. Imaging and Resolution are a little better. LDAC is supported. Same annoying spikes instead of rubber feet. It's a good update.
Thanks for your confirmation. So it's made that way that it clips when "no filter" is selected, though I wonder why there is such a big difference in dB levels with and without filters.

And yes, I've bought four sturdy rubber feet for a dollar to replace those very unstable spikes.

Nutul

Oh i thought this is a scientific forum about what makes objectively the best playback system and not about your personal preference of shiny discs.

This would be nice! but can you back this up with some data?
So can you, add some data to back up your statement about "all you need is a PC"...?

Nutul

Is anyone aware of a DAC that offers < - 140 dB for all harmonics like this expensive ugly duckling does at a significantly lower price point? That would be nice for measurements together with the Cosmos ADC because one could forego the APU / filtering stuff for most applications.
being this the target of the new models, I doubt you can get one at a lesser price... uh?

engie490

No matter how well this product measures, I would never buy a Shenzen Audio product that costs over $250. And I would only buy it thru Amazon. That would give me 30 days of use to make sure it wasn’t defective.

They don’t support their warranty in the US. State of the art measurements are useless if the company fails to support their products.

jimboaz

I always find it shocking how easily some feel entitled to tell others what they need, what they should use, etc.
What if I told you that to listen to music all you need is a phone and a bluetooth speaker? I would be right, but maybe you would like to continue using something else.
I have my PC totally out of the audio chain for 1000 reasons, it's not up to you to judge how and why I should use the equipment I buy. Just as I find boring those who suggest ripping CDs and throwing CD players in the toilet.
Everyone has his own needs and uses what he likes in his system.
Thankfully this should still be a hobby and should be driven by personal pleasure.
Exactly - They say - if I can't taste it, see it , hear it or feel it, it must be the same result for everyone else or it just doesn't exist.....lol

sefril

Finally tempted to replace my Topping D3+ after about 1 decade.. Got this D1SEv2 at discount price for ex display product, $450..

lot of input/output choices.. xlr output is clean..

btw, the firmware is upgradable? Is there any improvement in function or bug removal?

thanks

Top Bottom