• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 336 89.8%

• Total voters

sunjam

SMSL released new XMOS drivers, v5.68, no changelog was provided, however Thesycon (the driver provider) has a Security Advisory (CVE-2024-25376) in their website related to the MSI installer and recommends the software to be upgraded.
In that case, it is down to if you can trust SMSL to give you a virus free update. LOL.

KadoPT

In that case, it is down to if you can trust SMSL to give you a virus free update. LOL.
It's not "exactly" virus related but the MSI installer can be exploited in repair mode to execute external code with SYSTEM privileges, installers since v5.40 and before v5.68 are affected, the drivers are actually provided by Thesycon, SMSL just requests custom branding, specific USB VIDs and some extra settings, so the latest package is not exploitable.

sunjam

It's not "exactly" virus related but the MSI installer can be exploited in repair mode to execute external code with SYSTEM privileges, installers since v5.40 and before v5.68 are affected, the drivers are actually provided by Thesycon, SMSL just requests custom branding, specific USB VIDs and some extra settings, so the latest package is not exploitable.
I think that's one way for people to implement virus program to the target computer.

Thesycon provide the driver (virus free)==> someone can repackage the driver package with additional virus program ===> then the included MSI installer (virus free) will kick off the virus program got packaged in the driver package. Am I correct?

Anyway, thanks for the link, the new driver fixed the clicking noise problem with my M300SE. Cheers!

p.s. I would tell if my computer got any issue because of the "security issue". LOL

sunjam

SMSL released new XMOS drivers, v5.68, no changelog was provided, however Thesycon (the driver provider) has a Security Advisory (CVE-2024-25376) in their website related to the MSI installer and recommends the software to be upgraded.
Oh.. I miss read the info. It said "All TUSBAudio driver installers after v5.40.0 and before v5.68.0 are affected."
I should be safe then

KadoPT

I think that's one way for people to implement virus program to the target computer.

Thesycon provide the driver (virus free)==> someone can repackage the driver package with additional virus program ===> then the included MSI installer (virus free) will kick off the virus program got packaged in the driver package. Am I correct?

Anyway, thanks for the link, the new driver fixed the clicking noise problem with my M300SE. Cheers!

p.s. I would tell if my computer got any issue because of the "security issue". LOL
Yes, that is a way to use the exploit but if the virus was packaged in the installer it could just use the installer elevation to make a mess.
An easier way would be some standard program that does not require elevation and that seems fine but has a sub routine to check if the compromised MSI installer exists in the PC and use the exploit to run elevated code.

Guess the drivers have fixes, too bad there is no changelog.

DeDovla

Guess the drivers have fixes, too bad there is no changelog.

Since JDS Labs uses the same Thesycon driver here is the changelog. Apart from the security issue that's been fixed there is also "Fix: Deadlock during wake up".

sunjam

Since JDS Labs uses the same Thesycon driver here is the changelog. Apart from the security issue that's been fixed there is also "Fix: Deadlock during wake up".
They didn't mention any bug fix (for noise issue with v5.58)

It is 100% reproducible. Whenver I installed v5.58, my DAC become a radio receiver o_O. It was only fixable by removing the driver (and use the stock windows driver) <== I tried at least 5 times (with the unstalling of other programs on my PC)

DeDovla

They didn't mention any bug fix (for noise issue with v5.58)

It is 100% reproducible. Whenver I installed v5.58, my DAC become a radio receiver o_O. It was only fixable by removing the driver (and use the stock windows driver) <== I tried at least 5 times (with the unstalling of other programs on my PC)

I have a C200 and I am on the latest version of the driver (v5.68) and I didn't notice any noise introduced by any driver version so far (I started on 5.50 I think then 5.58 and now 5.68). What DAC do you have (d6-s?) and what version of windows?

At the end of the day if these newer updates break your setup, just use what works.

sunjam

I have a C200 and I am on the latest version of the driver (v5.68) and I didn't notice any noise introduced by any driver version so far (I started on 5.50 I think then 5.58 and now 5.68). What DAC do you have (d6-s?) and what version of windows?

At the end of the day if these newer updates break your setup, just use what works.
It's SMSL M300SE. I am using windows 11.

Probably I didn't state it clearly. It is 100% reproducible for my windows 11 setup and I have no way to fix it (until i found the lastest v5.68 driver yesterday).

However, I found a old windows 10 PC to test and it works without any issue with v5.58.

Looks to me it is specific for this particular DAC as other users were mentioning similar noise issue in the M300SE thread here. I bet it may be related to the fact that SMSL push the DAC chip to the limit (as the datesheet of CS43131 state that it supports up to 384k but SMSL push it to 768k). May be together with Win11's new task scheduling policy, I guess these combinations may cause the noise issue.

My wild guess is that the new driver change the buffering so that it can feed data to the DAC w/o issue

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's SMSL M300SE. I am using windows 11.

Probably I didn't state it clearly. It is 100% reproducible for my windows 11 setup and I have no way to fix it (until i found the lastest v5.68 driver yesterday).

However, I found a old windows 10 PC to test and it works without any issue with v5.58.

Looks to me it is specific for this particular DAC as other users were mentioning similar noise issue in the M300SE thread here. I bet it may be related to the fact that SMSL push the DAC chip to the limit (as the datesheet of CS43131 state that it supports up to 384k but SMSL push it to 768k). May be together with Win11's new task scheduling policy, I guess these combinations may cause the noise issue.

My wild guess is that the new driver change the buffering so that it can feed data to the DAC w/o issue
One of the rules you agreed to when joining here was "not arguing with, or discussing moderation decisions"

Puting your argument in your signature (and also bypassing the moderation in that way), is not compliant with that rule. I suggest you remove it before you find yourself perma-banned.

(I'm not a mod here, no-one special. Just take this as friendly advice)

sunjam

One of the rules you agreed to when joining here was "not arguing with, or discussing moderation decisions"

Puting your argument in your signature (and also bypassing the moderation in that way), is not compliant with that rule. I suggest you remove it before you find yourself perma-banned.

(I'm not a mod here, no-one special. Just take this as friendly advice)
Thanks for your friendly reminder. I have no intention to argue or discuss his decision as I just want to show my status.

I change it to just show my status. Looks good to you?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your friendly reminder. I have no intention to argue or discuss his decision as I just want to show my status.

I change it to just show my status. Looks good to you?
Yep - that looks fine to me. Hopefully the mods agree.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Instant forum SNR boost:

1713796237670.png

Highly recommended. Can't believe I ever went without.

Top Bottom