• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

MalinYamato

SMSL is based in China. They only use wharehouses in Europa etc. Or Amazon wharehouses in some cases. But they even mention on their hifiexpress site that custom fees might apply.

Business hours are GMT+8 (China).

Even on Amazon sites you have to be careful with Chinese retailers where they actually ship from.
Otherwise there will still be custom fees etc.

Better to order from a local retailer or Amazon (handled, shipped by Amazon) and pay a bit more.

Warranty is all nice and good through Chinese retailers till you have return their stuff at your cost to china
The thing about hifi express and why I shop there is their local presence in Europa. I specify EU as an option when I order an item and there are no extra charges for VAT or customs. If I select EU, the corresponding item will be sent from their Amazon store in Denmark.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I found it! by GMT+8 I was surely outside office hours when I message to her around 12. But the message box stated that they will "respond immediately" when I was trying to chat with them at 12 -- there should be info about their business hours on the chat utility instead of keeping posting that they are online and respond immediately or within minutes.
Pretty sure that chat bot doesn't take into consideration from what timezone you are messaging them. ^^"

MalinYamato

I've had something similar with a promotion and they refunded me the price difference. Note however that despite claims of EU shipping their in-EU stock is terribly small or non-existent. EU fulfillment might just be chipped from China either way. FYI.
are you saying that even if I select EU, the item may be sent from China and in that case, I must pay VAT and customs charges?

MalinYamato

I don't need a nice man or whine or whatever, I need a nice DAC now and dudes out there tell me to get a D1SE or a Loxjie D50 ...

MalinYamato

lol. IIRC, you're also looking for a new amp, get a YULONG DA1 all-in-one in red and be done?
I love that one :) but I am currently borrowing a ifi Pro ICAN Signature and it needs a different kinda DAC not as ESS-harsh as the one I have now. btw, I never seem to "be done" in this Audio land -- are you done?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I love that one :) but I am currently borrowing a ifi Pro ICAN Signature and it needs a different kinda DAC not as ESS-harsh as the one I have now. btw, I never seem to "be done" in this Audio land -- are you done?
Smsl D300 . No need to spend more on a DAC.
(Using mine with a Singxer SA1)

If you want to spend big bucks on a DAC/amp , how about a burson Conductor?

MalinYamato

Smsl D300 . No need to spend more on a DAC.
(Using mine with a Singxer SA1)

If you want to spend big bucks on a DAC/amp , how about a burson Conductor?
that seems to be a great DAC for analog enjoyment. Style is important so I have done a drawing with some stack examples... I like D1SE because it has a nice red stripe on its display. I also have the Singxer SA-1, which I really like. The Pro ican sig is a toy because I can tweak it to sound very differently.... What about Soloist 3X GT with red buttons, stand and volume knob? It looks lovely! It is unofrutnateley too huge and heavy for a lady who is not married to a muscle man and I am NOT.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I just replaced the feet of my D300. But I don't really care about how the stack looks.

But the SA1 did get a bit warm with the D300 on top. (Comes with very short rubber feet)

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_235825.jpg
    IMG_20220401_235825.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 107

MalinYamato

I just replaced the feet of my D300. But I don't really care about how the stack looks.

But the SA1 did get a bit warm with the D300 on top. (Comes with very short rubber feet)
very nice setup. Are those Lirics of Meze?

MalinYamato

I'm a poor guy. So those are only aeon 2 noire
I also poor chasing for discounts.... eon 2 Noire is very nice and wins as a phone on the go.

MalinYamato

I will either keep Singxer SA1 or the pro iCAN Sig
here is how they all stack with the DACs I am considering
stuff3.png

MalinYamato

How the stack looks is everything!

View attachment 197062
Top shelf reserved for a MiniDSP Flex Digital.
OMG, that looks so beautiful -- my LOVE and in my case, it has a wife acceptance factor 10 out of 10 unless that beauty steals all the attention away from your woman -- LOL. This is by far one of the most beautiful setups I've seen so far and I see that you have done a great job in modifying it into a piece of art.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I will either keep Singxer SA1 or the pro iCAN Sig
here is how they all stack with the DACs I am considering
View attachment 197061
I would replace the spike feet on the D1SE and the rubber feet on the D300 (you just pull them out).

My SA1 at least got warm and did heat up the D300 a bit. No issue really but I feel more comfortable with feet under the D300.

And the Feet make the lightweight DAC a bit more heavy.

MalinYamato

Mandy sorted things out and Everything is OK now -- I am ordering the D1SE DAC from hifi express Europa :)

MalinYamato

I would replace the spike feet on the D1SE and the rubber feet on the D300 (you just pull them out).

My SA1 at least got warm and did heat up the D300 a bit. No issue really but I feel more comfortable with feet under the D300.

And the Feet make the lightweight DAC a bit more heavy.
got inspired to replace those spikes with golden feet on mine.

Veri

Master Contributor
are you saying that even if I select EU, the item may be sent from China and in that case, I must pay VAT and customs charges?
That's what I'm saying, had it happen. Except for the VAT: it came through an exempt/duty prepaid channel. But it was slow, of course.

How the stack looks is everything!
Pretty :) what are those copper cables? Do they cost an arm and a leg? :D

Snoopy

Major Contributor
got inspired to replace those spikes with golden feet on mine.
Golden feet, that red line in the display with a silver amp? Why no red feet that match that red line and replace the volume knob with a red one.

And use the Singxer as amp and add red feet and volume knob

Top Bottom