• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/remeasure-smsl-d1se/ Wolf remeasured it. Seems like they got rid of the jitter. I wonder if they got rid of the IMD hump too.

SMPTE-Ratio.jpg

I still want to explain that this sample is provided by SMSL. I will work hard in the future to get samples of real "consumer purchases" to verify whether SMSL "extensively fixed all problems"

malcolmrmcintyre

I have received my SMSL VMV D1se DAC. Replaced the spikes and cups with sorbothane buttons.
Simple plug&play. Using for full MQA decoding/rendering from Tidal stream on ethernet via Microrendu.
Sounds pretty good. Excellent resolution, but a little bass light.
Haven’t played with the “sound colour” settings yet.

nhs

@WolfX-700, did you check if the SMSL VMV D1Se still has the 3rd harmonic distortion issue detected in m500 and su-9?

NJC

I wonder how the SMSL VMV D1se will compare to the Topping D90se in actual use SQ wise?

nhs

I wonder how the SMSL VMV D1se will compare to the Topping D90se in actual use SQ wise?
Based on purely measurements the topping d90se is a tack better but you're asking SQ wise? God knows it ...

Massimo

Based on purely measurements the topping d90se is a tack better but you're asking SQ wise? God knows it ...

I would choose Topping purely for their customer service. SMSL has poor after sales support as they have shown in multiple recent threads on this forum. I never understood why they chose SMSL as their brand since it is often used when text messaging as an abbreviation for Splitting My Sides Laughing. Now I do.

Sound_freq

Which one has the best sound, D1, D1SE, Topping d90se?
Goldensound has a review of the D1SE forthcoming. In this review of the Ares II, he says the Ares II and the D1SE are his current choices for best DAC's less than $1k. The Ares II being a little better for the tonality of acoustic instruments and vocals and the D1SE better for electronic music, low end micro dynamics. He says it's more neutral, a little less analytical than a D90. Anyways, I'll look forward to his review which should include measurments -

Human Bass

No Ldac in the bluetooth, that's unacceptable for a such expensive dac.

Human Bass

If you are using such a dac, hopfully you aren't using bluetooth at all.
Bluetooth can be quite practical to hook a cellphone quickly and ldac preserves the audio to a very acceptable level. The price of this device is high enough to demand the bluetooth to be good instead of half-assed.

Sound_freq

Sure, I guess it would be nice to have, every license fee raises the price of devices, after paying the astronomical and ridiculous license fees for MQA there may not have been budget left over to pay Sony for LDAC, lol, who knows. Most of the wireless streaming devices one would connect to a dac like this likely have Wifi, Airplay or some form of bluetooth already built in. Wireless protocols really aren't a feature set I look for in a dedicated dac.

archerious

archerious

Which one has the best sound, D1, D1SE, Topping d90se?

They probably all sound neutral, detailed, and transparent unless something is really wrong.

Katji

Major Contributor
And after a week, i have replaced the factory fuse with SR Orange - The improvements are very noticeable especially in music details and instrument separations. And there is also a widen background staging.
That is impossible.

Lupin

Top Bottom