• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review Questions for Flagship Processors: Trinnov, Storm, JBL, Lyngdorf, Datasat

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be more difficult with multichannel as it would require at least 5 matching speakers?

It would be difficult because the Audio precision measures electric signals not SPL, this sort of test would require its own setup with a microphone.

OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be difficult because the Audio precision measures electric signals not SPL, this sort of test would require its own setup with a microphone.
Yes but i think that would be no problem for Amir.
This was the approach @amirm took to review the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect in a separate review. As you can see, just in stereo, testing the RP's DSP was quite burdensome (labor of love?) for Amir, and I would not ask him to do it unless unless he is curious as to whether Trinnov's Optimizer with the multi-pronged microphone is as as good as advertised.

EB1000

At the heart of the Trinnov processors there is a cheap Intel mini ATX motherboard. I have a feeling that if Amir will ever measure a Trinnov, it will get very bad SINAD results... The way I see it, Trinnov is an overpriced scam...

Andysu

Major Contributor
At the heart of the Trinnov processors there is a cheap Intel mini ATX motherboard. I have a feeling that if Amir will ever measure a Trinnov, it will get very bad SINAD results... The way I see it, Trinnov is an overpriced scam...
Fully and argumentatively Agree I think the trinnov is daylight robbery for the £20 grand price. My Sony SDDS D3000 in its day was £20 grand and picked up two of them for £80.00 and they would weigh heavier than a trinnov which to me from rear view looks like a common pc computer with wow big deal XLR that is about as common as mud on ebay for cheap prices. I think they do use DB25 connectors as they should do on all processors as it takes up far less space and does the same exact unbalanced to balanced audio outputs. So the trinnov has 3d light-show on it where the other processors don't. Believe me I won't miss the fear on missing out on that, not at £20 grand.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
This was the approach @amirm took to review the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect in a separate review. As you can see, just in stereo, testing the RP's DSP was quite burdensome (labor of love?) for Amir, and I would not ask him to do it unless unless he is curious as to whether Trinnov's Optimizer with the multi-pronged microphone is as as good as advertised.
You are right Amir can not fulfill every wish in this forum but there is always interest in devices like the Trinnov because even if it has bad SINAD should be capable of good EQ for the asking price. I think you should ask if he has an appetite for testing it.

Last edited:
OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right Amir can not fulfill every wish in this forum but there is always interest in devices like the Trinnov because even if it has bad SINAD should be capable of good EQ for the asking price. I think you should ask if he has an appetite for testing it.
I've also sent @amirm my GLM kit for testing with the Genelec 8351B so there's quite a few room correction systems he can choose from if he has an appetite.

OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please stay on topic regarding discussions of review questions/measurements - you can reserve this commentary for the Trinnov Altitude 16 review thread when it's posted. It will definitely be a lively discussion as to what is and is not a "scam".

TimoJ

Please stay on topic regarding discussions of review questions/measurements - you can reserve this commentary for the Trinnov Altitude 16 review thread when it's posted. It will definitely be a lively discussion as to what is and is not a "scam".
Do you know when Amir will get the unit or is it already sent to him? I hope he puts priority to its testing, I think there's lots of interest seeing that review. And I hope it's not one of those "it's already packed and going back" tests if some measurement is noticed missing when the review is posted.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This doesn’t make any sense. A well implemented USB or PCI-E DAC connected to a motherboard measures the same connected to a phone or a TV.

OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know when Amir will get the unit or is it already sent to him? I hope he puts priority to its testing, I think there's lots of interest seeing that review. And I hope it's not one of those "it's already packed and going back" tests if some measurement is noticed missing when the review is posted.
It's en route. That's why I started this thread so that Amir gets an idea of what measurement questions we have ahead of time. Since it's my unit, I don't mind if he holds on to it a little longer to answer your questions, but I also don't want to burden Amir with this review as he has a backlog of other things he's reviewing!

OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This doesn’t make any sense. A well implemented USB or PCI-E DAC connected to a motherboard measures the same connected to a phone or a TV.
And this is what I'm talking about! Please reserve any further discussion about the merits of the Trinnov (good or bad) to the review thread once it's posted. I'd like this discussion to be focused on the relevant objective measures moving forward to help prospective buyers with their decision making when deciding which of these high end processors to buy. Although Trinnov is the first, units from Lyngdorf, Storm, etc. will arrive sooner or later as more people take an interest in sending their units to Amir for testing.

EB1000

A typical ATX motherboard generates a lot of EMI noise. in the Trinnov case, the audio circuits are located next to the MS inside the same enclosure. Building a high-end audio gear around a 100$ MB sounds fishy to me...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A typical ATX motherboard generates a lot of EMI noise. in the Trinnov case, the audio circuits are located next to the MS inside the same enclosure. Building a high-end audio gear around a 100$ MB sounds fishy to me...

being in the same enclosure doesn't mean anything, and since you have no idea what the circuit topology is you cannot make such empty arguments. An ATX motherboard does not generate any less noise than an ARM-based signal processor. If you think the device is too much for what it is then fine. just don't throw around inherently flawed arguments to prove your point.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And this is what I'm talking about! Please reserve any further discussion about the merits of the Trinnov (good or bad) to the review thread once it's posted. I'd like this discussion to be focused on the relevant objective measures moving forward to help prospective buyers with their decision making when deciding which of these high end processors to buy. Although Trinnov is the first, units from Lyngdorf, Storm, etc. will arrive sooner or later as more people take an interest in sending their units to Amir for testing.

Sorry for propagating that specific discussion, but there is a no tolerance policy here for audiopholery.

If someone is going to make the argument that a device will be noisy because it's a 'computer' and not a 'Hifi device' they need to have several seats.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Lower precision because for home theater applications, such precision is not necessary?
It is necessary in my book as the analyzer could become the bottleneck. It is just that having 8 channels of that in the analyzer would make that even more expensive.

I think from timing point of view, the 8 channel unit came out first, and then they made the flagship 2-channel one that I own.

SKBubba

My suggestions:

1. Did it make sound come out of all the speakers?

2. Did the sound that came out of the speakers make my ears hurt?

3. Did it catch on fire?

4. Did it cost less than $10k?

If the answers are yes, no, no, and yes, then Golfing Panther!

(Just kidding, of course. Carry on.)

OP
Spocko

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for propagating that specific discussion, but there is a no tolerance policy here for audiopholery.

If someone is going to make the argument that a device will be noisy because it's a 'computer' and not a 'Hifi device' they need to have several seats.
Understood, and not directed at you per se, I just wanted to keep this thread from getting off track (yes, I know good luck!) as they often do because we are just passionate people!

MinMan

In anticipation of Amir's review and measurements of the Trinnov Altitude 16, I wanted to collect the follow up questions ahead of time so that Amir can address them all in one sitting (sorry @amirm but you can pick and choose what makes sense to you!) rather than piece meal after measurements are posted and unit packed away. For example after reviews of the Monoprice HTP-1 and Emotiva processors were posted, there were some excellent follow up questions related to voltages and the like, but many measurements could not be taken because the units were respectfully returned to their owners (maybe you can take inspiration from those questions?). Additionally, these questions could serve as the standard battery of questions for those prepared to pay over $10,000 for their dream cinema processor so that when Amir receives the Storm Audio ISP Mk2, Lyngdorf MP-60 or Datasat at some point in the future, we can have some solid apples to apples data points to talk about! And as the owner of this particular Trinnov unit Amir is reviewing, I'm equally as excited to find out how Trinnov compares to the HTP-1 (my alternate choice).

And maybe most importantly, I do plan to have the Trinnov rep on my YouTube channel to not only discuss the strengths and unique features of the Altitude, but also any measurement discrepancies or concerns we may uncover here on ASR - some manufacturers may be hesitant to face the wrath of anonymous posters on ASR, but may take more kindly to participate in an open dialogue with me.

Also PLEASE limit this thread to discussions concerning the questions and measurements you'd like Amir to address rather than the value or merit of buying any $20,000 processor.

Here's my question: What output voltage setting provides the best sound quality, or does it matter?
It is necessary in my book as the analyzer could become the bottleneck. It is just that having 8 channels of that in the analyzer would make that even more expensive.

I think from timing point of view, the 8 channel unit came out first, and then they made the flagship 2-channel one that I own.

I would hesitate to buy a PC based AVP based on the anticipated lifespan of the PC infrastructure. I just had a file server give up the ghost after 15+ years of loyal service in an air conditioned office. I was glad to get more than 10 years. If I bought the altitude 16 and it only lasted 10 years, I'd be very dissappointed. If I bought a Casablanca V, I'd be pretty confident that it would last 20+ years. Obsolete by then but still functioning like an old set of McIntosh Vu meters. Amir knows PCs, what's your take?

When we buy our CAD drafting desktops, we buy 5+ identical units + spare video cards, a spare proccesor, spare motherboard and clone hard drives that reside off-site so that we can swap them if / when needed. Would Trinnov entertain such a n option for cheap insurance purposes?

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When we buy our CAD drafting desktops, we buy 5+ identical units + spare video cards, a spare proccesor, spare motherboard and clone hard drives that reside off-site so that we can swap them if / when needed.
Or you can buy better parts later ala carte if something fails like a current video card as performance increases substantially over time. Rare for those to fail, though.

Top Bottom