• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX cinema with pro cinema audio gear

Andysu

Major Contributor
My THX home cinema inspired by the Empire Leicester Square.

Always wanted THX pro cinema which is different ballgame to home consumer THX.

Always wanted a Dolby Stereo CP200 which is regarded as the best cinema processor made even still to this day found only in Selected Theaters.
Always wanted JBL professional cinema.

What I couldn't get at reasonable prices is the JBL Urei 6290 amplifiers, some people are asking way too much for them that is discontinued and no longer supported by JBL Harman international, unless really good and can service the parts with new components. So I went for more powerful and class-D amplifiers that are cheaper.
JBL 4647 with JBL 2226 15" bass drivers the cab boxes was mega ultra cheap so I grabbed all five cos I knew I could have a better five screen matrix.
JBL 2380A horn with JBL 2445 compression driver which is not all far off from the ones I heard with a JBL 2360A thou are about usable down to 250Hz.

Only thing I don't have is duel 35/70 projector even thou offered 35mm Vic V, with red Dolby digital LED and low powered lamp house for £250.00 years ago and the Vic V, in it's day was 35 grand.

Still issue with 35/70 is the colour fading and then stuck with a dud that will still play unlike Waner bros HD-DVD discs that are useless! Storage of film prints must be kept in ideal temperature conditions, and frankly my dear, I just don't have the space room for film prints and often some sellers are bit greedy in the prices so it is a no from me.

Laser 4k projection on 120" acoustical transparent screen will suffice it starts up fast and powers down fast as well.

The other side of it most some Laserdisc with theatrical mixes beats any blu/4k disc, day and night. So least I have media disc formats and even some few VHS leftover.
Laserdisc is still in use here and very little use 4k gets played now cos of the studios making it a laughing stock with bad transfers just so they can ridiculously Milk consumers, which I don't find amusing at all. HD-DVD is no no from me, won't be buying anymore HD-DVD it is a dead format. VHS doubt I be buying any VHS only what I have kept over the years will suffice for some playback (very rarely here). Laserdisc/DVD is still a format I will buy depends on the rarity of the item, bluray/4k is format I have steadily backed away from due to applying upmixes for Dolby Atmos just so studios can yet again Milk consumers who don't know what to look for and listen for.

But does all this make my life any happier? No it doesn't it is just an immaterial entertainment and that is all it is and will be. I rather have cats to pet than my home THX cinema.
129085711_10158735259140149_2907451205297339214_n.jpg

Sooty 2009-2020 dearly and sweetly always will be missed.

Magic JBL.jpg

Magic

Bear.jpg

Bear

THX main system.jpg

Main Cinema processor system and consumer AVR with some players in the room - Laserdisc players are kept in the kitchen so the noise floor will be silent when they are in use.

DOLBY STEREO® CP200 a must have if your an original Star Wars fan thou I personally find Star Trek movies sound better. Dolby Stereo CP200 was released March 1980 and was discounited around early 2000's and servicing or parts for it a little later so it stood test of time cos it was best processor ever made for 35/70. It took me months to find the rest of the units to fully complete the CP200 and it stands at least 28" high.
Dolby CP200 control unit
Dolby CP200 processor unit with Dolby A-type cards and be switched around for Dolby SR cat 280t cards.
Dolby CP200 accessory unit also has extra Dolby NR card slots
Dolby CP200 MPU-1
Dolby CP200 PS1B power supply

Dolby CP500 in the lower part of the rack
Dolby SDU4 x2 for five screen matrix - of inner channels left-centre right-centre / inner channels can also be used as stereo for non-sync music to set the cinema tone just like, well is the cinema or can be used as stereo on outer channels L R.
Dolby CP45 used for main surround fader for side-surrounds or surrounds and can be used as decoder for Below Surround that places sounds below the seating.

Dolby CP 1.jpg

Dolby CP 2.jpg

Dolby CP 3.jpg

Dolby CP 4.jpg

Sony SDDS DFP-D3000 great for use as auxiliary processor and even has a built in matrix surround decoder and many more channel formatting to switch channels around which the Denon AVC-X8500H can't do.

Behringer MDX4600 x2
Behinger DCX2496 x4 and fourth is in amplifier rack
Two of the DCX are used for Left Centre Right the second DCX used for Left-centre Right-centre and SW left and right at front of the room
Third DCX used for extra SW that is middle placed behind the screen and other at back of the room and can be switched to play the SW with the other JBL subs or used for Surround Bass Extension to give a lot more lower end to the surrounds. Also bass shakers for Irwin rocker seats, seat-buckets and on the floor as well.

Behringer DEQ2496 for use with Dolby Stereo Lt Rt

THX amp rack 1.jpg

Main rack for the 38.000kw THX sound system - Laserdisc players are in another rack tower with Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System crossover/monitor 3417 very rare to get one of these now.

Behringer EPQ304 for use with JBL screen HF horns
Behringer inuke D3000 for use with JBL SW 4645/C
Behringer NX3000 for use for JBL screen bass drivers and some JBL 4682 TCB SW
Behringer NX D3000 JBL control SB-2 with control 1 for Below Surround matrix
Behringer DCX2496 used for the side surround channels each has its own feed to the Crown CTs8200 so I can make quick Re-EQ turning depending on the movie mix playback to cut back on mid or highs or give it a bass boost or a gain level increase to suit the movie best playback possible.

Dolby SA10 for use with Atmos decoding and expansion of the substandard Atmos x6 channels up to 12 channels playback depending on the encode/decode of the mix. This gives me new channels that are placed between each height 1, 2 and 3 that I call DOG channels Dolby Overhead God and some Extra channels that are placed on the floor that sounds like a vertical circle effect for each zone.

Crown CTs8200 use for side surround arrays just like at a cinema. Back surrounds. Other CTs used for Overhead surrounds up to x9 Overhead surrounds are used here with Extra channels as well that are placed on the floor. JBL 8330 mkII JBL 8330A JBL control 1,

Alesis RA300 bass shakers for seat buckets - other RA300 for floor shakers

Up to 157 speakers 38.000kw THX.

JBL cinema professional 5.jpg

JBL cinema professional 6.jpg

Attachments

• 140642702_10158856122190149_3186193677952171779_o.jpg
    140642702_10158856122190149_3186193677952171779_o.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Wow, that's impressive!

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System
THX crossover/monitor 3417
Designed for cinemas. Now in my home.

THX sound system 1.jpg

THX sound system 4.jpg

THX sound system 2.jpg

Variable resistor potentiometers, behind the panel that covers the channel selects for monitoring the processor or amplifier returns via the built in mono speaker as well as test output on the back and front to be connected to an RTA voltmeter oscilloscope or other test equipment.

THX sound system 3.jpg

Full house of THX crossover cards including the extra for special THX shows. variable resistor potentiometers on the THX cards for alignment of the bass LF and treble HF horns. Additional variable resistor potentiometers on the THX cards to adjust the crossover trim between bass and HF horns to be checked with RTA, oscilloscope.

THX sound system 5.jpg

Back view this was taken years ago when I got my first of two THX sound system, ultra cheap. Today they are now extremely rare they show up on ebay. The inputs from cinema processor or any audio AVR connected to the terminal blocks or via the DB25 connector. Then the outputs from THX crossover cards are connected to LF HF on the amplifiers with extra wiring that connects back to the THX amp return so that it can monitor processor or the amplifier speakers for any faults as well as used for alignment to get the LF HF tuned up 1 to 1. Test outputs on the back can be directly connected to my pc computer for, TrueRTA, WinRTA and REW as well as oscilloscope and voltmeter. Additional output for external speaker for monitoring can be used thou I like the built in speaker and still works fine for 1987.
The THX monitor is built like "inside that steel beast" Tank in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade it is HEAVY!

I have the later designs as the earlier ones had the THX badge and it is made of metal not plastic, the design was like this.
THX sound system 6.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Lawrence of Arabia LOA criterion collection Laserdisc here in DOLBY STEREO® THX Sound System, with special appearance with Sooty.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Doing repeated THX/TAP rehearsal tests last night with Stargate theatrical bluray, also had to lower the LFE.1 down -10dB as I checked it with THX Laserdisc Dolby AC-3 same frequency range only dtshdma lies with boasting it. So I lowered it down -10dB and did tests with the JBL 4645/C and JBL 4682 TCB subs and bass shakers on the seat buckets and floor and "this as far as we ever been able to get" with my cat Bear.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
"This is as far was we ever been able to get" with Bear. I saw someTHING in a video with a bass shaker and it sort of has been on my mind for a while, only what I seen was different and may try an idea out coming soon... "chevron 6 holding".

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Testing using Rigol DS1045Z oscilloscope using only single channel on the scope has four channels.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Laserdisc return of the Jedi, playing here in DOLBY STEREO®MP 4.2.4 matrix Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System ... With Bear, "it's a Cat!"
The back-lighting on Dolby cat 109 meter filter cards need replacing with LED and voltage lowered down with a higher resistor. All the meters are new since the original ones were damaged with stuck needles and the bulbs have nerve been used in any CP200 that I have seen at Empire Leicester Square, local ABC Bournemouth, I think Odeon West End Leicester Square, and Warner village West End. Mine is first CP200 to have the VU meters illuminated only the blast, voltage spike now and then must be blowing the bulbs and I lowered the 12v down maybe not enough but when I get the time, I fit LED in place that will have white light colour rather than the warmer colour.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Special appearances with Magic and Bear - Star Wars in THX Sound System

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What are those subs?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Wall to wall 120" 4k laser projection with Laserdisc 1989 pressing in DOLBY STEREO® MP 4.2.4 matrix and the Dolby OB SW with Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System was pressing against my body.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
What are those subs?
Just simple JBL 4645/C and 4682 TCB with some tuning that can't be heard or felt in a video least I don't think it's been tried unless done with EQ tuning off and multiplex - microphones placed around the room to pick up the room and of course the room gain as well.

retro

While your collection of vintage cinema gear is impressive, I assume we are still talking about 2-ch stereo out to the Dolby processor (no Dolby Digital, no DTS or beyond..?), and 480/576 interlaced video from an old LD-player upscaled to a 120" screen..right..?!?

(I'm an old Laserdisc, Dolby Surround, CRT enthusiast myself, back from the late 80's..:)..)

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
While your collection of vintage cinema gear is impressive, I assume we are still talking about 2-ch stereo out to the Dolby processor (no Dolby Digital, no DTS or beyond..?), and 480/576 interlaced video from an old LD-player upscaled to a 120" screen..right..?!?

(I'm an old Laserdisc, Dolby Surround, CRT enthusiast myself, back from the late 80's..:)..)
Here I can play

Mono without academy curve
Mono with academy curve or with A-type noise reduction
Stereo on LR
Stereo on inner left inner right
Dolby Stereo MP 4.2.4 matrix with or without A-type
Dolby Digital AC-3 laserdisc with/without five screen
Dolby Digital with/without five screen
Dolby EX with/without five screen
Dolby Atmos plus with extra DOG channels, woof, woof. with/without five screen
dts with/without five screen
dts-ES with/without five screen
dtsx thou not played anymore as it has failed to deliver.
auro3d as been abandoned here no longer played.
dtsx - liemax enhance, is certainlyt not used here, no way, absolutely not.

Only thing not got is Sensurround :( well makes sense doesn't it for Earthquake to use a signal generator producing random filtered pink noise.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just simple JBL 4645/C and 4682 TCB with some tuning that can't be heard or felt in a video least I don't think it's been tried unless done with EQ tuning off and multiplex - microphones placed around the room to pick up the room and of course the room gain as well.
I use the JBL 4645 in my own system - four of them operated in stereo with two per side. I have tuned the cabinets lower by blocking off two of the three ports (mine have three smaller ports rather than one larger one). I also use the JBL surrounds you have (the wedge shaped ones). I used to be an engineer at JBL so I got all this stuff at employee cost. :p

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I have a rare pro version dts CAD 5, it hasn't really been put into use. First I have no space in the system rack it was racked up years ago, but never connected as it has to be connected though a cinema processor since it doesn't have a fader on it. I may see if I can find way to installing cos will be great with Laserdisc and I still be able to switch between the Denon AVC-X8500H own dts decoder and the dts CAD5 as I have two auxiliaries on my Sony SDDS D3000 to make it happen.

dtscad 5 1.jpg

dtscad 5 2.jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I use the JBL 4645 in my own system - four of them operated in stereo with two per side. I have tuned the cabinets lower by blocking off two of the three ports (mine have three smaller ports rather than one larger one). I also use the JBL surrounds you have (the wedge shaped ones). I used to be an engineer at JBL so I got all this stuff at employee cost. :p
Yeah that's the ticket to it turning it down lower. Rarly they show on ebay now. Mostly 4645C once in while 4645B shows up and that is good heard felt at local closed down Odoen Bournemouth thou overwhelmed the screen channel bass with Star Wars episode 1. Heard it also at UCI tower park, worked there once in 89/90 and cinema never had subs when it opened even thou was required for Dolby SR soundtracks and when seeing Mission to Mars, 2000 with the overhead surrounds removed :( and surrounds on sidewall back wall and I noticed the bass was okay least something different cos all screens seemed to have Dolby CP500 I can see from the auditorium in the rack which was a first cos cinema opened with Dolby CP55. I looked behind the screen lifted the masking skirt up, whoa! A JBL 4645B with some Hissss cos the SW filtering is down on the CP500 but the output really needs an extra filtering to filter the hiss of the amp out.

I got the 8330 mkII 8330A cheap as fish and chips, just had to watch the bay for the lowest prices which do show up.

Top Bottom