• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega IO Review (stereo amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 272 86.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 4.8%

• Total voters

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Irony on:
But it has such an
  • Detailed, rhythmic, fun sound
  • And a good headphone out
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/rega-io

I just would say no bang for the buck.
Very popular brand in France
In Spain too... we need to shift our references... Search engines don't help neither due to their tendency to concentrate, and once a trend has been established, it's quite difficult to overcome. I'm happy every time I found ASR on the first page on google when searching for a device. The idea of a thread for each review is quite effective as it creates more content associated with the search tags.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Just kinda eyeballing the Phono response from 20hz- 20khz gives me a flatness of about 1.8dB, which does not seem very good, unless that is due to measuring at the headphone output.....
Where are you eyeballing this? You mean phono input? You mean RIAA accuracy?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm, for another candid reporting.

Sadly, the headless PinkPanther musta come back from that milk-run, and dared to squat on top of a Rega. I first thought maybe it was April's Fools and not Halloween. I could not get my trigger finger to vote.
You probably ruined my Sunday, as I also "...have a soft spot for western companies trying to compete with Asian..."

One wonders how much "worse" a PWM version could have sounded/tested/performed... but maybe it was like throwing the baby out with the bathwater and your test-proven result gremlins may point to other design/implementation issues.
First look at the innards (less, point-to-point wiring) did not show shoddy work (IMHO), despite others thinking so.
Sad day for Rega.:(

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like a tweak to the rating system, with "headless" devoted to something truly broken (ie significant problems with an intended use case), with another rung above that that merely measures poorly. I vote one and a half.

KEFCarver

Where are you eyeballing this? You mean phono input? You mean RIAA accuracy?
Just the 1st plot shown in the Phono Stage measurements. For instance, at 20hz the CH2 2 looks to be about -1.2dBr and at the peak of that channel, around 3khz, it is about 0.5dBr, for a difference of 1.7dB, which is what I would consider the flatness to be for that channel. The channels appear to be matched to with 0.5dB. Since we are talking about vinyl, it is probably good enough for my older ears...

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like(d) vintage Rega gear. Oh well.

I remember there having been a Shrugging panther, a Reclining panther, and a Piggybank panther. What do those ones mean?

Massimo

I wish I could say I'm surprised by these test results. But I'm not, in the least.
What has become of British hifi? There isn't a single amp designed in the UK in the top section of the ASR comparison chart. I discount the Nord amps since they just use off the shelf Hypex amp modules from The Netherlands.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like a tweak to the rating system, with "headless" devoted to something truly broken (ie significant problems with an intended use case), with another rung above that that merely measures poorly. I vote one and a half.
You don't get any more choices than I have in selecting a panther. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The rating is decided by the members. Theres no system.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What has become of British hifi? There isn't a single amp designed in the UK in the top section of the ASR comparison chart. I discount the Nord amps since they just use off the shelf Hypex amp modules from The Netherlands.
That does not refflect the industry. It just shows the willingness of the owners to send their amps for testing.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Don’t Keep your hopes up, what is true for UK is true for the whole Planet. All the amps on this comparison. chart (SINAD chart)) in this top section are Hypex-Purifi amps, all but one.

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Don’t Keep your hopes up, what is true for UK is true for the whole Planet. All the amps on this comparison. chart (SINAD chart)) in this top section are Hypex-Purifi amps, all but one.
Actually there’s two - the Benchmark AHB2 and Neurochrome Modulus-286. I’m a very happy owner of the Modulus-286 and a big fan of @tomchr work.

Massimo

The whole planet? Amps designed in Canada, US, China, Netherlands are all represented in the top group.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole planet? Amps designed in Canada, US, China, Netherlands are all represented in the top group.
Less price... which may skew presentation (pecking order) in the BIG chart but would be near-impossible to normalize for $$.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It was replying to a comment. according to his premisse to atribute the performance of the amp to the manufacturer of the module instead of the builder of the amp. Which is not fully false.
edit, oh, I didn’t realise it was your own premisse. In all case All the amps on the top group are based on Intellectual Property not created by the manufacturer, all of them, that’s why in the end.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Who voted "golfing panther"???

Someone who had quite a few drinks after work and then got on ASR. Hit the wrong key by accident. It wasn't me but I can see it easily happening with our hardcore drinking members. Life happens!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
You don't get any more choices than I have in selecting a panther. :)
Well, there’s always the option of removing more limbs from a selected panther of your choosing Amirm. The fire hose Panther is a bit ambiguous. Perhaps you could give it a more defined purpose?

GimeDsp

I am not sure how Amir gets the Panthers but it may be a way for manufactures to get a better rating!

Like maybe a pickle ball panther for right below golf panther?

Top Bottom