• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega IO Review (stereo amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 272 86.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 4.8%

• Total voters

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What bothers me the most about Rega in general (and some other British audio companies) is the fact that they try to do and succeed in making something exceptional in pursuit of musicality and even make people believe that. I remember an amplifier a few (more than a few) years ago that was globally available but they introduced a "UK voiced version". If that version was any better than the regular one, why didn't they use the modification on all amps of that model? The cost difference, if any, was probably less than a dollar.
I have never heard about "UK voiced versions" but do not doubt that - just never been exposed to it.

I do think we owe a lot to the UK in audio - the original linear LS3/5 (I seem to recall) that is still held up in high (albeit nostalgic) esteem etc. My dad owned Spendors which for all I know were the best back in the day. But the fact is the world has moved on a lot, and many UK audio brands live off odd idiosyncrasies that simply don't fly (nor do they sound better, unless you completely absorb every byte of WhatHifi which is a monthly sponsored trade how).

Don't get me wrong of course UK-based companies still can and do deliver on stellar audio - KEF is a company I'd always check for speakers. But there also is a lot of whacky stuff out there - won't get into brands.

Personally I find it utterly laughable that the audio community believes different countries have different audio cultures and hence local companies cater to such "granular", "local" needs. They don't. They just market themselves as traditional UK companies even when they are Chinese owned (and I have no immediate issue with that, *we* let that happen in manufacturing and business).

MacCali

Major Contributor
This is one of them but not the one I had in mind: https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm6006-uk-edition/review
The one I was thinking about is this one but I can't find the review:
I would personally assume it’s merely a tone difference. Clearly Japanese people have a sound expectation which isn’t the harman curve and I wouldn’t doubt this similar work being done. I would think there’s a performance upgrade however it may come with one when parts are interchanged to create a different presentation.

Which means this can go both ways. I don’t think the UK is strict on purely high end hifi sound just by looking at the company’s they posses ie Rega, Hegel, etc

Ozbrit

Isnt this a clear case of trying to make an amplifier that , for the ears, sounds more ”analog” and maybe more pleasant to listen to in a complete Rega system? Makes me think about PS audio when I read about this Rega.

I also think that the amplifier fits in the sound filosofy of a Rega setup with a Rega record player, amplifier and a Rega loudspeaker.

I have had a Rega planar 3 record player a long time ago and later had a Rega dac. Im sure they were measuring terrible but I listened to a lot of music during this time, so its a paradox.
Couldn't agree more

Companies like Rega and Naim build amplifiers for people who enjoy listening to music. And people buy their equipment because music sounds good through a Rega or Naim amp. And interestingly most Rega and Naim kit don't measure particularly well but always come near top of the list when it comes to sound quality!

I read reviews on this site that slag off amplifier X or Y because its 'Sinad' is poor or some other aspect of its technical performance is not up to scratch. But never do I see as part of a review how does a piece of gear actually sound. Is it fun to listen too, is it dynamic, is it detailed, does it keep you up all night listening to your favourite music?

Point in question I've heard this amp and it sounds frigin awesome for the price you pay. Pretty much every review I've read on it says the same. But where does this come through in your review?

Yes I agree knowing that the amplifier could be better heatsinked is worth knowing. But most people I know don't buy amplifiers to listen to a continuous sine wave output. For real world listening this is not likely to be a problem on the proviso the amplifier is properly ventilated.

So please print something more useful when you review an amplifier. Specs have limited value to the buyer on their own sorry to say.

JSmith

Master Contributor
how does a piece of gear actually sound
The gear is not meant to have any sound... consider the term HiFi.
never do I see as part of a review how does a piece of gear actually sound
I can't help but feel you haven't read many reviews... I encourage you to do so and maybe have a look into Amir's YouTube vid's.
DAC501 Listening Tests
I listened to few tracks and sound was quite enjoyable but I did not detect anything euphonic or special about the DAC501.
... all speaker and headphone reviews have listening impressions noted.

JSmith

DanielT

Major Contributor
Couldn't agree more

Companies like Rega and Naim build amplifiers for people who enjoy listening to music. And people buy their equipment because music sounds good through a Rega or Naim amp. And interestingly most Rega and Naim kit don't measure particularly well but always come near top of the list when it comes to sound quality!

I read reviews on this site that slag off amplifier X or Y because its 'Sinad' is poor or some other aspect of its technical performance is not up to scratch. But never do I see as part of a review how does a piece of gear actually sound. Is it fun to listen too, is it dynamic, is it detailed, does it keep you up all night listening to your favourite music?

Point in question I've heard this amp and it sounds frigin awesome for the price you pay. Pretty much every review I've read on it says the same. But where does this come through in your review?

Yes I agree knowing that the amplifier could be better heatsinked is worth knowing. But most people I know don't buy amplifiers to listen to a continuous sine wave output. For real world listening this is not likely to be a problem on the proviso the amplifier is properly ventilated.

So please print something more useful when you review an amplifier. Specs have limited value to the buyer on their own sorry to say.
Welcome to ASR. :)
I think you should stick around and maybe see another side of HiFi that you're not used to, or maybe you are, I don't know? The objective side, that approach of HiFi. Having said that, you will find that many people here for example are using record players, even though the sound quality cannot be compared to lossless streaming music. But basically everyone knows that, even those who tinker with turntables here. They do it because it's fun.:D

A thread of 37 pages and lots of posts shows it:

Besides, of course you do exactly what you want. However, it can be interesting to know if you imagine something or if you consciously create a sound you like,
namely color it.

Here, for example, a thread that addresses that:

To microphone measure and set EQ, or not. It's also a frequently subject here on ASR , if you're interested in such things:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Couldn't agree more

I own a Rega dac R nowadays and the sound is awesome. This summer, I also tried out the Rega Brio but I wasnt convinced when I compared it to my Audiophonics Hypex ncore 250. Maybe the Rega amplifier simply didnt gel in my system.
Welcome to the forum.:)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
And this was what - a rigorously controlled blind test?

Jim
Yes it surely was, it was even a double, tripple blindtest with a protocol as thick as a brick, and we didnt use our ears at all, just our white uniforms, stethoscopes and calibrated microphones. ;)

DSJR

Major Contributor
By traditional enthusiast UK dealer bought standards, the Io is fine. Sites like this though, have shown what else is out there and the standards available internationally.

ivayvr

And interestingly most Rega and Naim kit don't measure particularly well but always come near top of the list when it comes to sound quality!
Isn't the above an apparent oxymoron? If it was modified to "their perceived sound quality" it wouldn't be 100% wrong, it would be just plain wrong!

rana_kirti

was planning to pick this up after reviewing here.

but just saw this won an 2021 award with 5 stars at what hifi.

can anyone explain what's going on?

Ozbrit

Isn't the above an apparent oxymoron? If it was modified to "their perceived sound quality" it wouldn't be 100% wrong, it would be just plain wrong!
I didn't say anything about modification. Thats in your mindset not mine.

I said when measured in comparative reviews they usually don't come out on top but on listener comparisons they usually do.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
was planning to pick this up after reviewing here.

but just saw this won an 2021 award with 5 stars at what hifi.

can anyone explain what's going on?
Someone is wrong. You get to choose which.

Beave

Major Contributor
I didn't say anything about modification. Thats in your mindset not mine.

I said when measured in comparative reviews they usually don't come out on top but on listener comparisons they usually do.

Can you tell us more about these listener comparisons in which they come out on top? Are there any controls implemented in the comparison (level-matching, single or double blinding, etc)? Do you have a link to share?

Top Bottom