• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega IO Review (stereo amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 272 86.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 4.8%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Old ones measure very badly indeed by today's standards (check out 80's HiFi Choice measurements, IMD is dire for exampe), but the current cosmetic models I'm seen tested in Stereophile do seen 15 - 20dB better in distortion figures, albeit using different test gear of course and I think that as long as they're not driven to (hard) clipping, they seem to 'sound' clearer than they used to - oh, and some models have output networks as well - YIKES!!! :D ).
Well, the first amplifiers were designed in early 70s based on a RCA technical note on how to use their transistors. The then flagship, NAP 250 sounded well and louder than the specified power mainly because of its regulated PSU per channel, eliminating the 100Hz ripple when clipping. Since then they have optimised the design with custom transistors, etc. but the current NAP 250 DR is still the same design. I would love to see it tested.

Midwest Blade

Another illuminating review that will surly get a few heckles from the regular on line audiophiles.

I dearly hope that the audio industry will take note that passing off poor design and engineering is noy a way to success.

While not relevant to me presently, I think of Rega as a turntable manufacturer which is something they do quite well.

Thanks again for the honest and objective review.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While not relevant to me presently, I think of Rega as a turntable manufacturer which is something they do quite well.
I wonder if they are. How do they measure?

peniku8

Forum Donor
How far behind are they exactly? 45 years? Yea, actually, 45 years. This is a measurement of my Yamaha CR-600 from 1975, which seems to be a tad better than this amp is :)

14MiQM1.jpg

Last edited:

Midwest Blade

I wonder if they are. How do they measure?
I think they nailed down their philosophy on turntables over the many years they have been in production. They seem to do it well from the factory video clips I have seen. I am pretty uncertain if this translates into a measurable objective number.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they nailed down their philosophy on turntables over the many years they have been in production. They seem to do it well from the factory video clips I have seen. I am pretty uncertain if this translates into a measurable objective number.

Those videos also show this amplifier being build…

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yuk! Look at the glowing review from Ed Selley on AV Forums :facepalm:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Rega manufacture the electrical systems for Land Rover?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Well, the first amplifiers were designed in early 70s based on a RCA technical note on how to use their transistors. The then flagship, NAP 250 sounded well and louder than the specified power mainly because of its regulated PSU per channel, eliminating the 100Hz ripple when clipping. Since then they have optimised the design with custom transistors, etc. but the current NAP 250 DR is still the same design. I would love to see it tested.
One thing that was never done, was a tech assessment of the original 'bolt-up' NAP250 compared to the 'CB' one from 1980 onwards. Direct comparison at same volume there was a massive sonic difference, the warmth and sweetness of the early version being replaced by a hard hitting 'almost harsh' quality with the totally different circuit board layout. I disliked the CB version but grew to accept it as it was a major part of our dealership - we regularly had our demo unit overheating and shutting down (wobbly LP12/Ittok/Karma source and Grace Jones 'Slave to The Rhythm' original issue on vinyl). Designer Stan Curtis measured the small 42/110 combination and found third and fifth order distortion to be quite high I remember (I think it was in 'HiFi For Pleasure' magazine). Another once quite well known qualified electronics designer took the RCA circuit apart and claimed two electrolytic caps in the circuit were wired backwards after a change in transistor types and it was these caps drifting off spec that caused the long term need for service issues in older Naim amps (I cannot challenge his opinion here, but these old amps DID drift off after a few years with overheating and dire subjective issues too). Modern ones don't seem as bad. Of course, 'You don't listen to measurements on a test bench!' so I doubt any tech assessments will be forthcoming on their current top separates, although the streamers have been tested in Stereophile. I gather the current top models use a bridged configuration and of course the DR supply (without checking, I think it's input and output circuits given individual regulation?) will alter performance a little.

Aren't you lot lucky never to have been in the thick of all this? It still lingers on in freshly retired fellas (sometimes couples) with pension pots to spend, but so far, I see little to no interest in those under fifty over these shores...

ta240

Major Contributor
WhatHifi doesn't do reviews, they only do advertisements.
While many of their reviews do read like advertisements; I've also seen quite a few that say "better options at this price range". It is hard for that to be considered much of an advertisement.

I should have said very uncomfortable than burn. But no, the emisivity is not set so actual temp will be different.
The pitfall of the reviewer, picking words that get more of an emotional response from their reader than the accurate words would ;) It clearly spawned a quick 'is it even safe?' reply.

It's clearly intended as cheap small all-in-one integrated amplifier with all comfort (remote, display), and as such it performs... well, so so. It's unnecessarily compromised by choice of the extremely small form factor.
The engineers can only do what the marketing specs allow them to do. You have this much money, this many features and this space to do it.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Amir, I don’t burn my hand when I touch 43 degree C metal even for prolonged time. 60 degrees yes, but not 43. Did it get even hotter as shown in your IR?
Did you check for correct emissivity setting?

you have thick skin lol

keyser

Hi, just had to register to confirm I had some issues, 3 issues in fact with this amp. They sent 3 amps in total, they all suffered from a hum coming through on the right channel on both headphones and speakers. The audio support guy said he couldn't hear anything. In testing I unplugged all sources but the hum sound remained :) I got a refund in the end.

Dali Sensor 3 and Beyerdynamic Amiron headphones.

I then got a second hand Cambridge amp CXA60 which has no hum through headphones and speakers but the transformer makes a humming sound :) I've got a Chord Mojo so just don't listen to my speakers at the moment lol problem solved!

What I learnt; either what hifi is wrong (WHAT! etc). or Rega silently change the components after the 5 star reviews. Like in the world of PCs.. or I'm the BFG.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Old ones measure very badly indeed by today's standards (check out 80's HiFi Choice measurements, IMD is dire for exampe), but the current cosmetic models I'm seen tested in Stereophile do seen 15 - 20dB better in distortion figures, albeit using different test gear of course and I think that as long as they're not driven to (hard) clipping, they seem to 'sound' clearer than they used to - oh, and some models have output networks as well - YIKES!!! :D ).
If different measurement equipment give different results, this is a problem.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, just had to register to confirm I had some issues, 3 issues in fact with this amp. They sent 3 amps in total, they all suffered from a hum coming through on the right channel on both headphones and speakers. The audio support guy said he couldn't hear anything. In testing I unplugged all sources but the hum sound remained :) I got a refund in the end.

Dali Sensor 3 and Beyerdynamic Amiron headphones.

I then got a second hand Cambridge amp CXA60 which has no hum through headphones and speakers but the transformer makes a humming sound :) I've got a Chord Mojo so just don't listen to my speakers at the moment lol problem solved!

What I learnt; either what hifi is wrong (WHAT! etc). or Rega silently change the components after the 5 star reviews. Like in the world of PCs.. or I'm the BFG.

You can see from the pic what the reason for all the hum is about:

regaio.jpg

The AC input and output leads on the transformer are right next to the volume pot and that ribbon cable. The AC input has traces that run on the PCB.

The fix would be to change out the IEC connector to a solder lug or spade type. Rotate the transformer inputs/outputs 180 degrees. Twist the mains leads together and connect them to the new IEC connector abandoning the PCB traces. Twist all the transformer output leads together. Make the transformer AC input/output leads as short as possible. Shield the transformer.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If different measurement equipment give different results, this is a problem.
Not really. Any decent measurement device will have less than 5% tolerance and such a low difference should nit reflect on the sound.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an EE but it seems like many of the issues with this unit could have been rectified by using a simple icePower module or something similar?

Class AB with a big transformer strikes me as a weird way to make a small amp in 2021.

Top Bottom